This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Vocals meaning in metal (especially in death and black metal).

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by Alongside Death, Aug 14, 2006.

1. dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34

Then why the hell are you a metal fan? Metal is based mostly on the music with the vocals used to back up the music.

2. Impudent

Impudent I Turned Into a Martian

Instruments are definitely the most important factor. If a band has music that's good, I can get used to the vocals no matter how much I don't like them.

I have a friend who judges almost entirely on the vocals. It really annoys me.

3. Dazed and Brutal

Dazed and Brutal Yall About to Witness

Well I like bands with good vocals (ex. Soilwork) but If the vocals aren't great the actual music can make up for it or enhance (hint: atmosphere) such like a band Xasthur.

4. dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34

Yeah but that still doesn't make sense why you would consider vocals THE most important thing in metal.

5. Dazed and Brutal

Dazed and Brutal Yall About to Witness

Because I'm a singer myself and it's my favorite apart metal that's why.

6. Mort Divine

Mort Divine Shrine Maiden of the In-Crowd

Vocalists who do not play an instrument piss me off due to their arrogance.

7. Astrum

Astrum Psion

that has to be one of the stupidest things i have heard in a while.

8. CF87

CF87 Active Member

Music is more important than vocals. Vocals are import don't get me wrong. I think vocals become more important in music when a band has a pop like song structures. If you are repeating 2,3 basic music parts the better a vocalist has to be to distract from that because a listeners attention has to be held. A great vocalists makes simple parts in a song have a stronger impact, parts that might not sound good enough on their own but need push. Imagine for example if majority of main stream music did not have vocals but the same music and structures they have.

9. Hatebreeder

Hatebreeder Pizzicato Heartstrings

The voice is also considered an instrument. It takes just as much talent and skill to sing/growl well as it does to play a guitar or drums. It's vocalists that do a whole lot of nothing that piss me off. (see: a majority of old punk bands)

10. CF87

CF87 Active Member

Majority of vocalists have the natural talent to sing or born with it. Someone can't just pick up an instrument being very good at it unless they have some form of autistism or something. You know how some people can't tie their shoes but are naturally a virtuoso behind a piano. Someone can't just not be able to sing and get singing lessons becoming a great singer. A good singer could improve by getting lessons but they have to be born with the talent. Both are an instrument as in sound but I think singing more of the times is a natural gift genetic wise. More people could learn how to play an instrument than sing or learn how to sing. Singing does not take more talent because to the people that can sing well it's effortless because one day they decided to sing as a child and they or someone noticed that person could do it. Playing a musical instrument eventually becomes effortless in the same form but you start out horrible. Both have sound and create but imo are very different. Unless a singer alone can be more effective than instrumentation musically instruments are more important.

11. Mort Divine

:O I agree with The Greys for once, on a subject not relating to Wicked Innocence.</queinapocalypse>

12. Demilich

Demilich Member

Probably not true. If it is embedded in the culture and taught from a young age to all individuals, FAR more people develop the ability to sing at least reasonably well, and far more people have the potential to become great singers. Here is an explanation:

13. Hatebreeder

That is true. Anyone who gets music theory and singing lessons embedded into their brain at a young age can turn out to be a decent vocalist.

14. Impudent

Impudent I Turned Into a Martian

Also, if you notice in some bands, mostly bands that have been around for a while, let's take Blind Guardian for example, in their early material the vocals are decent, but as time goes on they get better and better. So obviously practice does have an affect on vocal ability.

15. Hatebreeder

Exactly. Hansi stopped playing bass in '95 so he could focus on his singing, and it sure worked. He has much more vocal prowess and range in ANATO than he did in the early recordings.

16. CF87

CF87 Active Member

I think we could agree omnipotence has the lowest vocals ever recorded.

17. Mort Divine

Yeah, I don't know much that is lower than the vocals on it. Wormed maybe ... I don't know even then.

18. Solipsist

Solipsist beyond all horizons

I think the vocals on Infester's "To the Depths...In Degradation" give WI's vocals on Omnipotence some competition, as in terms of lowness. Both are definitely fucking awesome albums.

19. DarkBliss

DarkBliss ...And okra for all

I love Omnipotence,but the vocals on it are pretty fucking bad . Just listen to the beginning of Totality. Vomitlicious:lol:

20. DarkBliss

DarkBliss ...And okra for all