This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Vocals meaning in metal (especially in death and black metal).

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by Alongside Death, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Slayed Necros

Am I the only one who thinks it's really fucking overrated?

2. skeptik

skeptik Member

If you're refering to Wicked Innocence, then no.

3. Mort Divine

Mort Divine Shrine Maiden of the In-Crowd

I prefer Worship to Omnipotence actually. But hardly would call Omnipotence overrated.

4. CF87

CF87 Active Member

Omnipotence is a lot more interesting to me musically and sounds better. I hate the production on worship. I rarley listen to either anymore so who cares really.

5. Krigloch the Furious

Krigloch the Furious Pants full of poo

its so hard to actually sing and play guitar/bass

6. Dazed and Brutal

Dazed and Brutal Yall About to Witness

I play and Sing, but I'm no good at the Bass I play so it doesn't really count, but I know I can sing/scream/growl/whatever with an art of expresion that surpases some people who play the guitar.

And yes it's hard to play bass and sing at the same time. Guitar is harder for me though.

7. Hatebreeder

Hatebreeder Pizzicato Heartstrings

It sure is. I didn't think it would be all that hard since I wasn't playing anything that difficult, but I get all confused and lose my place. It's annoying as hell. I respect all singers that can sing well and do well on their instrument. Here's to you, Devin Townsend! :worship:

8. fat bastard

fat bastard Member

:headbang: when he does it live with syl i do notice he struggles a bit when switching over to cleans but his other vocals are fuckin awesome. his vocals on the last two syl albums are among the best ive heard.

9. TylerTheNuke

TylerTheNuke I have eaten you

well, music is music to me. I really don't need vocals, and I would actually prefer good metal without vocals to good metal with bad vocals. It doesn't ruin it for me. THe metal needs to be structured a little differently to make it work w/o vocals, since vocals give the metal a focal point, sort of. It is hard for me to explain what I'm thinking, sorry. I guess the songs have to be more clear on the buildups, ect. I'm thinking of pelican, for example, or the song orion by metallica, triad by tool, some seventies metal like king crimson (red, LTIA, ect), and I guess thats all I can think of. I guess its not really death metal, but you get the point, I think.

10. skeptik

skeptik Member

I don't see how hard it could possibly be if Cronos can do it.

11. JuanDeLaForet

JuanDeLaForet Member

I agree with TylerTheNuke, vocals are secondary.... :headbang:

12. Hatebreeder

Agreed. I didn't expect much from them when I saw their video start playing on Headbanger's Ball, but by the end of the song, I was truly blown away. They are a genuinely great band.

13. Mort Divine

Mort Divine Shrine Maiden of the In-Crowd

Don't get caught saying that around here too often.

14. Hatebreeder

Well, there are plenty of genuinely great bands, but SYL is one of the few in the mainstream that haven't lost their touch.

15. fat bastard

fat bastard Member

yup but dev gets shit on around here. his records have better atmosphere, better production, better vocals, more intensity but no one seems to get it. when you listen to some of his songs like hope no one expects the crazy musical freakout at the end and lots of his songs are like that but i doubt that many around here except for the well informed give his music a proper listen.

16. Hatebreeder

It sort of appears that way. You can tell just by listening that the band is really into their music and are putting some effort into it, not just doing it for the acceptance. He also has a good singing voice in addition to being having exceptional growls. Overall, they're just great. But some people refuse to listen to them merely because of their status as "MAINSTREAM!!! omg thats fukin nuts!!!1!!11" Just because some bands lose their purpose on major labels doesn't mean they ALL do.

17. Death Aflame

Death Aflame voice of dissent

Says the metrosexual/gender role confused poster with pictures of girly girls/boys in his/her signature.

18. fat bastard

fat bastard Member

major labels look for bands that they think can go somewhere and that they can market so should a band be shit on for being recognized as talented and something that others may like as well? pop music was the term given to music that was popular with the listening public before it was used to characterize a specific kind of sound so cant a metal band be called mainstream without being treated like good charlotte or some shit like that by all the metal fans whose favorite bands will forever remain in the underground. every band and their fans would like their music to be appreciated by a large audience and they would love to play those big shows. a good label can help make that happen. as far as losing purpose goes i dont know. some bands just dont like to play the stuff for 10 years running i think. i dont know about any of you but i doubt that many of you in your 20s were banging heads to death metal 10 yrs ago but i am glad that more of this stuff is being discovered at a younger age by people these days. i had to make my musical transition into all those so called sellout bands who lost their way before i was able to discover any of the bands who do have credibility around here.

19. Ender Rises

Ender Rises Wass sappening?

Athens, Greece. I wish. Athens, Texas, in cruel re
    Agreed. The cause of the mainstream being bad in comparison with the underground is 2 things: the existence of sub-par genres that are largely mainstream, and the bands outside of those sub-par genres that lose their sound and aggression.