This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

VOLBEAT's career is skyrocketing almost everywhere...

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by labrekk, Apr 21, 2013.

1. edgeofthorns

edgeofthorns 24 Hours Ago...

It's totally a business, so I 100% agree. In my eyes, Glenn has created a ProgPower brand and he is a small business owner. If people, as consumers, feel loyal to him, then I think that's a good thing for his brand/business.

~Brian~

2. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

If you were to look at it from the perspective of people not wanting to support unprofessional jackasses it might look a little different. Obviously, as has been explained, this doesn't hold true where Volbeat is concerned.

Personally though I will stop buying from bands that can be seen as having screwed Glenn/ProgPower. The fest is a huge deal to me and I'm not interested in giving cash to people that treat it poorly. For instance, even though some of Arcturus' stuff was intriguing I will never buy any of it (but I will buy all of Ihsahn's stuff! for more than one reason) because of how they acted.

While I understand your point I disagree. There's a lot of personal stuff going on with music purchases, band loyalty, etc. Maybe from a management perspective you can't afford that kind of thing, but as a music fan and purchaser it's all rolled into the decision making process.

3. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

4. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

Sorry, but the Nickelback comparison is still bothering me just because it sounds ludicrous. I figured I'd help out our friend as perhaps he needs to hear some good Volbeat for it to finally "click".

Now, can someone PLEASE tell me how this sounds like Nickelback? :lol:

#44 AngraRULES, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  5. AeonicSlumber

That kind of shit is what I like to call "end-stage metalnerd syndrome" where the neckbeardiest of all the metal nerd neckbeards peacock their metal cred by making extreme comparisons to bands they don't like, but rather ending it at "I'm not a fan" or giving legitimate reasons as to why they don't like it ("riffs suck, etc"), they have to make said comparisons to sound extreme (since their personal brand is that of an EXTREME EDGY METALHEAD tm). The worst case example comes from a certain website whose acronym is a synonym for butthole:

"Amorphis

Originally a thundering simple harmonic death metal act along the lines of Demigod, Amorphis came out of Finland and mutated into a more commercial animal. Now their main contribution is bringing the styles of death metal and Guns and Roses together on an album."

They are so entrenched in their foreveralone neckbeardiness that they have to make these sorts of comparisons because they think it builds credibility. And the ladies love it!

6. dcowboys311

dcowboys311 Member

I tend to find that those who regularly use terms like 'neckbeard', 'forever alone', etc are the neckbeardiest and most likely to be forever alone out of all of us.

But I just used those terms....what I have I gotten myself into....

Said butthole synonym site can be a great resource, but I don't know of a single person who takes the reviews seriously.

For the record, I think Volbeat is an awful band, and so is Nickelback, but the two sound absolutely nothing alike. Riffs suck, etc.

7. AeonicSlumber

You missed the point, and as you pointed out, stepped over your own potshot in one fell swoop!

It's pretty silly to compare Volbeat to Nickelback just because you don't like them. They sound nothing alike! The only reason why one would do it, is to ridiculously flaunt some nonexistent metal cred by coming off with an excessively strong opinion on the internet.

8. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

Aeonic and dcowboys, you're both neckbeard metalnerds, but I love you both anyways. :lol:

I really hope you bitches will be in Atlanta this year. Then I'd convince nailz to come as well. It would be the absolute Trollest of ProgPowers. :lol:

I can see Trollface already just thinking about that meeting of minds. :lol:

9. edgeofthorns

edgeofthorns 24 Hours Ago...

This Wacken performance won me over to the band and Fallen struck a major chord with me...love it!

~Brian~

#49 edgeofthorns, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  10. Heavenly Call

Heavenly Call Member

"Now, can someone PLEASE tell me how this sounds like Nickelback? "

Many of those riffs are not so far removed from Nickelback riffs. Listen to NBs "Burn It Down" or "Bottom's UP" and tell me you could NEVER hear Volbeat do something similar.

Furthermore, WHY THE FUCK DOES IT MATTER? Everyone comes from different reference points. My sister is into a lot of mainstream rock bands and when I play her some of our stuff, that's what her comparisons are too. I even think the Green Day comparison is not that out of line. I think Green Day could cover some Volbeat songs and it would sound right at home. I think the comparisons are legit to the extent that that's what a person knows. We've all been put in the situation where someone says "what does it sound like?" We go to our repetoire of known sounds and try to think of something. I don't think anyone who was intimately familiar with both bands (NB/Volbeat or Green Day/Volbeat) would say that their entire catalogs sound alike, but a couple of songs here and there make sense. I think there are plenty of Nickelback fans that would really dig Volbeat - my wife and my sister are great examples.

I guess my big question is why we (as in our little metal community) get upset when people OUTSIDE our community make comparisons to things most people on this forum don't listen to anyway? It's what they know, right?

11. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

Volbeat have released a new video for their track, 'Lola Montez', recorded live at the Rock Am Ring festival in Nürburgring, Germany on June 8th.

#51 KingsGene, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  12. Bryan316

Bryan316 METAL... nuff said!

For that comment alone, your punishment is to only be allowed to listen to Nickelback the rest of your existence!

13. Element_man

Element_man Lord of the Realm

I'm with you on this one. Nickleback ain't the best comparison, but the singer's hard-country-rawk scraw just doesn't convince me. There's some cool bits on Guitar Gangsters... but that's about where it ends for me.

14. TribunalRecords

TribunalRecords Record Label(s)/Vocalist

dude, MUSTASCH brought the house down that year anyway in replacement. Volbeat who? Exactly.

15. TribunalRecords

I can totally understand the Nickelback thing. It's not that they sound like them, but his voice is very one dimensional like Chad's keeps his and they kind of rock like Nickelback does on stage too. I actually enjoy some Nickelback from time to time, as they wrote some catchy ass songs there until it became super formulaic. I took to Mustasch much more than I have Volbeat that is for sure. Pretty sure my copy of Volbeat's new album is still sealed.

16. DuchessOfDork

DuchessOfDork Member

Not sure why I'm not into this kind of music. I really have nothing against it, it just doesn't grab me. I dunno. Not enough dragons, maybe.

17. ICEDEARTHFAN

ICEDEARTHFAN IN MEMORY.....

I'm hit and miss with Volbeat.Love some songs,can't stand others.For instance,absolutely love the songs "Say Your Number" from years ago and "The Hangman's Body Count" and "Room 24" from new album,but most albums just have 1 or 2 that I love and the rest I never catch on to.Love the guitar in most of their stuff but his voice along with the melody and pace of the song has to catch me right.

18. Justin G

Justin G Member

Note to self: punch Matt in the face.

19. TribunalRecords

dude he climbed into your car! that is one of those classic PP moments. I cannot help that I like Mustasch better, it just is how it is. I don't dislike Volbeat I just NEVER listen to them ever.

20. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

I love both, but I too am more fond of Mustasch. One of the best performances I've ever seen.