This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wal-Mart the high cost of low prices.

Discussion in 'The Philosopher' started by Badbird, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Badbird

Badbird Never banned

Anyone who hasn't seen this movie should see it now.If you think Wal-Mart is a good place then watch this movie.

Should Wal-Mart get banned?What do you think of the store after watching that?Would you work there now?Why do you think they have low prices?I already hated this store but watching this makes me hate even more.

#1 Badbird, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  2. BlackMetalWhiteGuy

BlackMetalWhiteGuy Manly Man!

I just applied for a job in two Walmart stores. I'd definitely rather have a "real" job, especially something that justifies the effort of having earned a bachelor's degree, but a job's a job and I can't afford to be too picky at this point. If I get really desperate, I'll start applying to restaurants too and eventually even to fast food places :(

3. Badbird

Badbird Never banned

So how are they to you?I guess you are right a job's a job altough a real job like the local places that get their business killed by Walmart is better.So did you watch that movie?Do you agree about the stuff that the movie says about Walmart?This movie made me not wanting to shop or work at Walmart now!

4. Jinn

Jinn Saint

Wal-Mart, although harmful to local businesses, creates jobs, which is what Americans need right now in a recession. Most of people's problems stem from poor financial responsibility. I know plenty of people who would blow $500 on a bag of weed, justify the purchase with the same rhetoric of how weed is less dangerous than alcohol, cigarettes, blah blah blah, but the fact still remains that they just blew $500 on something that they're just going to smoke.

These same people then complain about how they don't have enough money to pay the bills, get gas, etc.

Also, shame on the credit companies and the loan industry who have more or less enforced the [wrong] idea that a family strapped for cash and on welfare CAN afford a brand new car.

If people would learn to manage their money better and maybe use it for something constructive, like higher education, they might get somewhere. Community College isn't that expensive. Don't waste your resources!

5. Badbird

Badbird Never banned

The commercels that Walmart have is disgusting.The save money live better thing tries to make more people come to there so that a great local stores go out of businesses.It get worse in some places where schools have to go out because a new Walmart is being bult.

6. BlackMetalWhiteGuy

I can't watch videos online because I have dial up. I am familiar with some of the criticisms of Walmart however and I think that they're mostly criticisms of capitalism as opposed to Walmart specifically.
    Making people want to go to the store is the whole point behind advertising.

With regard to schools closing down because of Walmart, I've never heard of that before.

7. Badbird

Badbird Never banned

The school closing thing is in one of the videos I posted.
    The advertising make more people go to their store and than small stores have a tough time to survive which is why I don't like their commercels.

8. razoredge

razoredge Member

This is a hard topic to have philosphopy about but........

FIrst I can view the clips, for some reason clips here are just blank for me.

But this is what I know about Walmart. My ex has worked for our local warehouse since it opened. She makes good hourly wage, the people in the stores do not. However I have a freind that works in a Pricechopper warehouse and makes a far better hourly wage than my ex.

One of walmarts employment claim to fame was that they were a family oriented employer, meaning they really care about you and your family.

When she first started working there her hours were fairly normal and she got production bonuses. It seems she started work at 6:30 or 7:00 and worked 5 8 hr days. Then they did a "re-alignment", which I cant explain, it had something to do with what warehouses would specialize in specific items, such as her warehouse is primarily clothing. So what Walmart did was changed everyones hours, put on a night shift, went to a four 10 hr day work week, and put on a 3 day 12 hr weekend crew.

What became of this was her starting time became 5:30 in the morning, which meant she had to be in bed and asleep by 9;00 at night at the latest but typically 8:00.... now somehow I dont see where thats family oriented when you have a youngster running around.

Then production bonuses became a thing of the past because with all the added shifts the amount of work slowed.

Then this more hands in the kitty (more workers) meant work days became short, very often they would not even have 6 hours of work. Which in 4 day work weeks meant it was common for her to have a 24 hr work week. That aint how you make money. Then some days she would drive all the way there just to get sent home because they only needed a relative handful to complete the days orders. I used to get so pissed, telling her she wasnt even earning the money it took to own, maintain, insure and put gas in a car to go to work.

Somehow I dont see where that is family oriented... do you ?

Now just this year, my buddy who works in a Pricechopper warehouse, has had them doing a similiar thing but differently. They dropped the night shift, put everyone on days and changed the starting time to 5:30. For him this means he has to get up at 3:30-4:00 in the morning, the warehouse is a total cluster fuck because there is nearly twice as many people running about and his production bonuses went down the tubes.

Warehousing is but one of the areas in the labor force that has taken totally retarded hits in the past 5-15 years. Decisions all made by 9-5ers whose life is unaffected by such bullshit. It has been sad to sit by during my lifetime and watch all the once common work practices such as normal working hours, benefits, hourly wages, retirement plans and such take a big dump from what my grandparents and parents generation fought hard to aquire.

We are now half way back to how things were when the labor wars were had back in the early 1900's. This is why the shakers and rollers, the "powers that be" are in full support of massive immigration and globalization and anything and everything they can do to keep the workforce "in their place"... which of course is scrapping as close to bottom as you can possible have them. Keep everyones hands tied and groveling for work so they are powerless to make a stand to improve the quality of their lives. Make the rich richer and keep the workforce poor. A great philosophy when you have made all kinds of laws and regulations to protect your lame and greedy ass.

9. BlackMetalWhiteGuy

Since I can't watch the videos, can you explain the situation which caused the school to close?

With regard to the commercials and being a large store, I don't see your point. What you're complaining about describes every retailer, so I'm not particularly sympathetic to members of the "no Walmart" band wagon.

10. Badbird

Badbird Never banned

The school wasn't closed but it was gonna to if the new Walmart was bult there.A church was having a similar thing going on but both the church and school protest against Walmart and both won.I feel even badder for the chinnes people who makes the stuff Walmart sells than people working at a Walmart.These chinnes people work hard for a big company and gets so little money.I also like what razoredge said about the rich getting richer and the workforce poor.

11. BlackMetalWhiteGuy

Every argument you've presented reflects the market as a whole and nothing you've said has been specific to Walmrt, except the examples of the school and church.

12. Badbird

Badbird Never banned

Thing I found funny is that it has guns but they don't have parental advisory albums.:err:

13. BlackMetalWhiteGuy

You need a license and an official form of ID to buy a gun and that's after a minimum waiting period and criminal background check, but anyone can buy music. Consequently, angry parents can't come into the store bitching if their kid bought a gun there, but it happens all the time with music. I do find it a bit inconsistent that they still sell M rated video games, but since games are so much more expensive, it's unlikely that younger kids will have the resources to purchase one on their own.

EDIT: My psych professor also pointed out a while ago that you can buy a machete in Walmart for about $5.00.

14. Death Aflame

Death Aflame voice of dissent

It's not so much the market (let alone the 'free market'), and walmart having dominated it, it is a critique of corporatism generally and state monopoly capitalism specifically.

I've watched the documentary before and it is quite good, Walmart is just another example in a long line of state backed corporate business that makes it impenetrable to free market competition since it is essentially a cartel that controls an entire industry.

And I certainly sympathize with your position BlackMetalWhiteGuy, in terms of the job market--I too recently graduated with a bachelor's degree and now work for a contact centre doing online chat for near minimum wage, not exactly what I had hoped for but I need at least SOME money.

15. Badbird

Badbird Never banned

They also sell rated r movies which can be worse than having your kid listen to a parental advisory album.

16. BlackMetalWhiteGuy

http://www.oswego.org/news.cfm?story=338

17. Badbird

Badbird Never banned

18. monoxide_child

monoxide_child New Metal Member

i'm pretty sure that i'm smart enough to get a bachelor's degree, i'm just way too lazy, and at the end of the day, a paycheck is a paycheck and i really don't give a rat's ass about the fact that all of my co-workers are idiots

19. XxSNAPxX

XxSNAPxX [HYDRAKUS]

Personally i love walmart so.......

20. Badbird

Badbird Never banned

Has anyone read the urban dictionary what it says about walmart?

wal-mart walmart target redneck white trash cheap wal mart shopping retail mart wally world store wal hell evil k-mart shit south ghetto mall trailer trash sprawl sam's club rednecks walmarting corporation georgia china dirty hillbilly wal*mart kmart sam walton awesome mullet nascar crap hick monopoly smock retard wal-martian home depot sprawl-mart mallrat clothes sears republicans wally-world bitch best buy

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

urban dictionary FTW.