This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Weird Science

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Einherjar86, May 16, 2018.

1. Einherjar86

Einherjar86 Active Member

2. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

Oops, fixed.

Einherjar86 likes this.
  3. Einherjar86

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase “eat shit.”

4. Einherjar86

The Simple Math Problem We Still Can’t Solve

Yeah, I wasted about fifteen minutes today playing around with this. Needless to say, I didn't find the magic number.

5. rms

rms Active Member

Are you aware of term NP complete?

6. Einherjar86

Oh yeah, that shit’s fascinating. There’s a mediocre movie about it—I think it’s called Traveling Salesman.

7. Baroque

Baroque Active Member

It sometimes helps to look at these types of unsolved problems oppositely. Suppose that the conjecture is true. We also know that every power of 2 will collapse to 1 and that pattern by using those rules. If it is true that if we apply those rules to every prime number it will result that pattern, then it’s also true that every prime number will eventually reach a power of 2 from those rules. Then oppositely, we will also be able to generate every prime number using the inverse of those rules starting from the powers of 2. The inverse of the rules are subtract 1 and divide by 3, or double it and do the same.

Since there is no polynomial function in one variable (the starting number) that can generate all the prime numbers (proven by Euler), we have no way of proving the contrapositive of this conjecture. Therefore since the contrapositive of the conjecture is unprovable, the conjecture is unprovable.

Go ahead and publish me now?

What’s interesting to me is that, if the conjecture is true, we have a piecewise polynomial function which does generate all the primes.

8. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

How about starting a mathematics thread on here?

I was surprised when I realised the Riemann hypothesis (another famous unsolved problem) was much easier to understand for a relative layman like me than I'd once thought. I did study discrete math to 3rd year level at university as part of an IT degree, but by the 3rd year it was like flapping my way through a language I don't speak.

9. Baroque

Baroque Active Member

I got a master’s in math.. but I went back and got another master’s in statistics. I’m more interested in solving real world problems now. These are like playing with toys, it’s fun but Mostly meaningless. Being able to generate primes would be interesting to cryptography, however I believe this method would be too slow to be of any practical use without quantum computing.

10. Einherjar86

I'm down with people posting math shit here. I get most of my science/math "news" from Quanta anyway, and they have a whole category for math.

[​IMG]

11. rms

rms Active Member

I just don't get why anyone is wasting time with that conjecture lol I don't even see how disproving it is at all intriguing. Wasted enough time to check 2^68! Lol

12. Einherjar86

Sorry to double quote, but I'm curious: how do mathematicians come up with these "problems" in the first place? I'm sure it isn't a randomly assigned function. So how does one arrive at "if even, divide by two; if odd, multiply by three and add one"?

13. Baroque

Baroque Active Member

There’s a difference between disproving and proving unprovable. It still might be true. As for wasting time, isn’t that everything we do on this forum? I spent about 30 minutes thinking about it after working 2 jobs, big deal. It’s a pet topic of mine showing certain unsolved problems are unprovable. In any case showing it’s unprovable results in what you’re saying, why should anyone continue to try proving the conjecture since we won’t be able to prove it correct, pending some major revelation such as Euler being disproven, or some other new discovery about primes

14. Baroque

Baroque Active Member

Mathematicians get bored and try all kinds of things looking to make a name for themselves. But my suspicion (which led to my response) is that it began as a search for a prime generating function, and then instead became a search for the inverse of a prime generating function (which they deemed might be easier) and went from there. It could also be based on some obscure number theory rule that I’ve forgotten or haven’t seen.

Einherjar86 likes this.
  15. rms

rms Active Member

Wasn't suggesting you were wasting time, but there are various spinoffs and similarly named "solutions" , but I struggle with understanding a use case for this theory, if it's deemed not true in a very few cases. Maybe it's just a problem used in college courses , not sure

16. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member