This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

What are you learning?

Discussion in 'Musicians Corner' started by Anonymous, Oct 12, 2006.

1. squidfetish

squidfetish Member

Rush - YYZ on my 6 string bass... getting there slowly.... :loco:

2. Detective Clarence Beauregard

That's a bad ass song. I like it better than Pt. 2, even. The instrumental part is really cool.

Right now I'm tabbing out some songs from Paradise Lost on bass. I don't have much free time, so it will get done when it gets done.

3. progmetaldan

progmetaldan Member

The first half of the Smoke & Mirrors arps are basically up to speed, but I lose it a bit in the second half of them... Getting there though...

4. Altitudes

Altitudes Stay Frosty

Curse of the Castle Dragon and Hurry Up by Paul Gilbert. Also, The Light That Blinds by Shadows Fall and various Sonata Arctica songs.

5. DavidPartay

DavidPartay Cold Forged

Hmmm...

I've been drumming to a lot of simpler stuff lately to deepen my 'pocket'. I've started playing the hihat open-handed (leading with the left hand) and I'm trying to develop it to the point where I can do anything equally no matter which hand I'm leading with. My left foot isn't getting as much attention as I'd like though, so during practise sessions I'm going to start playing bass with the left foot instead of the right while I'm using the right to lead on the aux-hats, ride or crash or whatever.

Apart from that, I'm working on a few books - Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer (by Jim Chapin - crazy jazz independence stuff), "The New Breed" (Gary Chester - generally independence, it's a lot of fun and I can feel my limbs growing separate minds all the time :)) and of course, refining my rudiments and my general technique.

6. LittleTortillaBoy

I'm learning Shadow Gallery's "Chased"...

7. anacrucix

anacrucix aka Shredcaptain Matt

i had them alllllllmost nailed on 8s but ive just strung up with 9s and i cant play them lol :<

8. progmetaldan

progmetaldan Member

I'm playing them with 9-46's... :headbang: Need a bit of guts for riffing...

9. Eske

Eske Gracefully aging geezer

I'm slowly chewing my way through The Glass Prison... those arps in the beginning are killing me!!! Sadly, I don't think playing with 8s would help me any - all that I need is 5 years of practice ;) BTW: 9-46 is my gauge of choice for standard tuning (Hybrid Slinkies) - I add a stainless steel 56 for the low B. Like PMP said: you need a bit of guts for riffing!

10. progmetaldan

progmetaldan Member

11. Meedleyx10

Meedleyx10 Member

12. Eske

Eske Gracefully aging geezer

Tuned to what, I might ask?

13. Meedleyx10

Meedleyx10 Member

14. Mystique1721

Mystique1721 bass solo, take one

damn. those must feel tight.

15. progmetaldan

progmetaldan Member

Jazz?

16. Meedleyx10

Meedleyx10 Member

i use them on all my guitars. When I get my hollowbody and have that just for my jazz stuff, I'll string that with 12's, possibly 13's.

17. progmetaldan

progmetaldan Member

Fair enough... I'm thinking I'll get a Caparison Angelus 22 for my 'Jazz' guitar... It should compliment my Horus beautifully... Then a Dellinger 7 to cover a seven string... :D

18. Meedleyx10

Meedleyx10 Member

*delayed reaction*

^not that I've played that model, but if you are looking at guitars for jazz, take a serious look at some Godin models. They were far from my list of guitars to look into when I first started looking for a hollowbody but I played the Montreal model and was blown away. It's got the the fattest, thickest tone I've ever heard. It's so warm sounding it's ridiculous and it's got a massive bottom end. The tightness of the low end is what really blew me away. I could literally feel every note resonating down to my toes when I was impovising some single note melody lines. It's got piezos too so it'd easily handle any need for acoustic parts. Obviously wouldn't fill your metal needs but...well..duh. Here's the link:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmontrealp.htm

They have another model I want to try out, but it's only got a neck humbucker so a bit of the versatility is lost and it's got a maple top as opposed to the Montreal which is all mohagany, so I'm betting a noticeeable amount of that warmth is lost. It also has synth capabilities though so I guess that'd be a plus for some folks. Here's that one:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinjazzp.htm

19. Meedleyx10

Meedleyx10 Member

*delayed reaction*

^not that I've played that model to compare it to anything, but if you are looking at guitars for jazz, take a serious look at some Godin models. They were far from my list of guitars to look into when I first started looking for a hollowbody but I played the Montreal model and was blown away. It's got the the fattest, thickest tone I've ever heard. It's so warm sounding it's ridiculous and it's got a massive bottom end. The tightness of the low end is what really blew me away. I could literally feel every note resonating down to my toes when I was impovising some single note melody lines. It's got piezos too so it'd easily handle any need for acoustic parts. Obviously wouldn't fill your metal needs but...well..duh. Here's the link:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmontrealp.htm

They have another model I want to try out, but it's only got a neck humbucker so a bit of the versatility is lost and it's got a maple top as opposed to the Montreal which is all mohagany, so I'm betting a noticeeable amount of that warmth is lost. It also has synth capabilities though so I guess that'd be a plus for some folks. Here's that one:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinjazzp.htm

Anyway back on topic...I just learned Threshold's "Innocent". I was relly turned off by some stuff of theirs that was posted here a while back but was intrigued by how many people were bending over a table for them so I checked them out and ended up really liking some of their earlier stuff.

20. progmetaldan

progmetaldan Member

I love Damien Wilson's voice, on Ayreon- Into The Electric Castle...

Thanks, I'll look at the godins... though the Angelus 22 isn't a hollowbody, it has fantastic vintage pickups, with a super warm neck pickup tone... :cool: