This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

What are you learning?

Discussion in 'Musicians Corner' started by Anonymous, Oct 12, 2006.

1. ABQShredHead

ABQShredHead ©1970

I learned that song so long ago... I need to go back to it. Good stuff though. Yngwie rules!

Today, I will learn how to get from downtown SF to the Oakland Airport on the BART. Blue or Green, which will it be?

2. Altitudes

Altitudes Stay Frosty

circular picking :erk: Any advice or tips?

3. mawdyson

mawdyson Member

I've started learning This Was My Life again by Megadeth. I used to know it a few years ago, so I decided to jam it out again.

4. inhe

inhe Member

Why the ":erk:"? Don't practice it if you don't want to :lol:

Are you talking about how people pick with their fingers like Yngwie, Batio and probably more? I would say just watch vids and mimic their technique.

5. progmetaldan

progmetaldan Member

I think he means picking alternate really fast by moving the pick in tiny circles as opposed to just moving it straight up and down...

6. Anonymous

Anonymous L'Étranger

How is that better than just going up and down?

7. Knulla

Knulla Member

Spiral Architect - Fountainhead

Trying this on bass, but it's pretty insane... I don't know how ANYONE can pull this off.

8. Meedleyx10

Meedleyx10 Member

it's not

9. Anonymous

Anonymous L'Étranger

That's what I thought.

10. Altitudes

Altitudes Stay Frosty

Actually, using less wrist motion and more from the index and thumb enables you to play faster. You are using smaller movements and ties in with the old "less is more" saying. I would say my picking technique is pretty clean and I'm am able to play fast runs effectively but I want to be able to push my limits.

11. Meedleyx10

Meedleyx10 Member

"Actually, using less wrist motion and more from the index and thumb enables you to play faster. You are using smaller movements and ties in with the old "less is more" saying."

Nope. You're not at a serious advantage with either method (though arguments in favor of wrist motion are more easily found and generally more valid). The minimum amount of motion required to play something is the same regardless of where the motion is generated from. A case could be made, however, that wrist motion is more economical because fewer joints are being used. Either method requires practice in acheiving a consistent use of economic motion though. One thing you WILL notice as a downside to picking from the fingers is a limited dynamic range. In addition, you'll inevitably have to use the wrist and/or elbow in conjunction with the fingers for certain techniques (string skipping, sweeps in excess of 3 strings, strumming/chordal playing) just because it's a more natural movement in many cases.

All that being said, I'm not in the business of calling any functional technique "bad". As far as I'm concerned just do what feels natural, so long as it's not causing any injury in the long run (tendonitis, carpal tunnel, and the various other thigs that an result from improper technique). I cringe when I watch certain players' technique. Marty Friedman is the first name that comes to mind...but as horrible as his right hand looks, it works for him and he hasn't sustained any kind of wrist problems that I know of. I've found that wrist motion is the most economical and effective in pretty much every playing situation, but if something else works for other people then so be it. I will say though, you are wasting your time if you are making a large effort to switch to circular picking from whatever method you are using if you think you'll be faster as a result.

If you want some players to check out to see some circular picking in action, look no further than Eric johnson (I'm an Eric Johnson fanboi btw). He even talks about it in this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ACH5Z_YPmVg

2:42 is where he starts on about it. I've noticed Michael Romeo using circular picking too. Both players are anything but lacking in ability. On the other hand both Michael Angelo Batio and Guthrie Govan are strongly opposed to circular picking. My point being that you'll get amazing players on both sides of the fence. You will notice though, with enough research, that most people who circular pick do so because they unkowningly developed the habit early on as opposed to most wrist-pickers who developed that technique as the result of a very conscious effort to use what they found to be the most economical method.

/endrant

12. Anonymous

Anonymous L'Étranger

Holy shit, that's how I pick :lol:

I actually compared his picking hand to mine and saw barely any difference (other than him being infinity times better than I am of course, but essentially it's the same). Not just with the circular picking, but the shit he does at the start too.

13. Altitudes

Altitudes Stay Frosty

Thanks, very insightfull post. If you want to watch a guy with really good circular picking technique, check out this guy. He is a member here and is proof that you can play extremely fast using thumb movements. He is the main reason I'm altering my technique, along with guys like Romeo, Malmsteen, and EJ.

14. Meedleyx10

Meedleyx10 Member

@ MrFast :lol:

do you mean the "bouncing" he talks about?

Eric is an amazing player. Just thought I'd add that.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous L'Étranger

I don't even know, all I know is my picking technique is like his. And I move my thumb lots to change the way I hold the pick when I go into shred mode, like what he does in the circular picking part.

16. Eternal Dragon

My style has evolved so that I don't change at all when I shred. My pick stays on the side of my index finger but I can sorta rotate my thumb a bit if its feeling a bit uncomfortable. Maybe I'll do a vid one day (ie: probably not, but I want to nonetheless)

17. Meedleyx10

Meedleyx10 Member

I do that a bit too (adjusting the grip that is), but it's mostley because the picks I use are extremely slippery after more than an hour or so of use once the coating wears off. The grip/position in which I hold the pick stays the same regardless of what I'm doing though.

18. progmetaldan

progmetaldan Member

yeah, good luck with that mate... :zombie:

Awesome song though eh! :headbang:

19. Altitudes

Altitudes Stay Frosty

Blitzkreg - YJM

20. Meedleyx10

Meedleyx10 Member

I opened up my classical notebook today and refreshed my memory on a lot of pieces I learned over the past year. It would've went WAY better if I didn't tear off my thumb nail and ring-finger nail while bowling the other day