This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Awake_In_Animosity, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Rick

Rick Senior User

GONZO - The life of Hunter S. Thompson.

2. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

William Gibson - Spook Country

IMHO if you stop with the Neuromancer trilogy you'll have read his best work. It all started going downhill with Virtual Light. The poetry is still there but the magic is gone.

3. Cryptor

Cryptor Cobber Mc Friendly

Dan Simmons - Ilium

4. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

I'm reading Captain Bligh's Other Mutiny about the Rum Rebellion. Remember being told in school about Blaxland and Lawson and how great they were as explorers? Funny we were never told they overthrew the legal government to help John Macarthur run Sydney as his own personal fiefdom for two years.

5. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

I've been away for about three or four weeks. During that time I had an opportunity to read some books. Amazingly I finished 3 books in 3 weeks.

Usually it takes me 6 months to read a single book.

I started off with another book by Jeremy Clarkson. He is my hero.

I then read The Long Way Round. Which is the book based on the trip Ewan McGregor took from London to New York with Charlie Boorman on motorcycles. Deathgate got me their DVD's last year, which was funny but a story for another time. So, with my voucher from Dymocks books given to me when I left my last job I went and bought a tonne of books. The Long Way Round and The Long Way Down being two of them. I took the former with me and read it while away.

This is the first book I've read where I've seen the video before hand. I just discovered what people mean when they say "the book was better than the movie". There was so much in there that wasn't on the DVD.

I'm currently reading James May's books.

Yes, I'm a bit of a Top Gear nut. I have been watching it since 1989 :) Thank you BBS's and Internets!

pipsqeek

6. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

7. Rick

Rick Senior User

Best show out of Britain.

8. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

What's it like? He seemed pretty 'out there'.

9. skrabsta

skrabsta Member

the knick knack man by paul b kidd. true story about the serial killer william " the mutilator " macdonald who operated in sydneys eastern suburbs during the 1960s.
    not for the squeamish.

10. zacmenta

zacmenta Member

Just finished the 3rd book of the Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton. It's a ridiculously epic, sometimes brutal, sometimes hilarious Sci-Fi story type dealy. The second time I've read it actually.

11. JetHead

JetHead FTT

Gay nursing journals for uni :mad:

12. Rick

Rick Senior User

I haven't read much yet, just settling into work etc. It's actually pretty interesting what i have read, everyone of his friends swears by him as this amazing mind, and theres an interesting foreword by Johnny Depp about how close they were and what they got upto. It's an unusual format (as far as i've read), in that it's a compilation of friends retelling his life (so say 4 different people to a page) in little aspects that intertwine and retell in a similar way to a normal biography.

13. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Happy Little Boozer

2009 IKEA catalogue

14. AdamS

AdamS Biggest LORD fan EVER

The Art Of War by Sun Tzu

This is awesome stuff!

15. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

Deathgate's husband told me o buy that once at a bookshop.... the story is probably a few pages back on this thread.

I found it interesting also. Took me a while to get into it though, had to read it again.

I finished my other James May book. I have started reading The Long Way Down now.

16. Rick

Rick Senior User

I have an Art of War audio book... It's easily downloaded at Mininova for the people who couldn't be fucked reading the book. It's pretty interesting.. I'd really like to get into it more (and no doubt i will if i go to Duntroon at the end of Uni).

17. Bucko

Bucko Member

The liner Notes to Sabbaths Black Box, Finally got me a copy of ebay at last

18. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

That was a great series except for the ending. A bit deus ex machina, hurry-up-and-finish-it for me.

19. Balthasar

Balthasar Member

I've just finished reading Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451. Im comparing them for my English studies class at school. Both are awesome novels. With Brave New World Huxley takes on a rather satirical tone which parodies many aspects of society in the time in which it was written. 451 feels less contrived, characters seem more real and are no as obviously manipulated to present ideas. Instead Bradbury uses lots of detailed description and imagery. 451 was definately more poetic. Recommend them to anyone that like reading about future societies, utopias/dystopias etc.

Now to write the essay...

20. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

still going through Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko.

very very different from the movie they made from it.

in fact, only the first part of the book made the made it into the movie.

the translation is solid and doesn't dumb down the Russian qualities in favour of the international audience.

the book I read before that was The Scar by China Mieville, awesome steam-punk alt-world fantasy in the anti-Tolkian/High Fantasy vein.
    well constructed world, beautifully written and with many engaging twists that you are never sure exactly where things are leading.

Mieville ia a highly recommended writer for his Bas Lag series as well as his other stories.