This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Just a heads up... In the next week or two we will be making some major upgrades to the site to bring the software and server fully up to date. While the upgrade happens the site will be offline for the day. There will be some quirkiness after the upgrade, but we'll get it all sorted out.
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Awake_In_Animosity, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Bucko

Bucko Member

The Story of ANVIL ....

2. chrisvp

chrisvp Member

a book on Eric Clapton , pretty good read so far :)

3. AdamS

AdamS Biggest LORD fan EVER

Never Be Lied to Again: How to Get the Truth in 5 Minutes or Less in Any Conversation or Situation - David J Lieberman Ph.D.

I've recently taken up an interest in psychology. Anyone have suggestions?

4. Rick

Rick Senior User

What kind of psychology? If you're interested in social psychology, like reading liars etc, there are some lovely books on facial queues, body language, eye positioning, ticks, etc around the place. It's a pretty massive field though.

5. Bucko

Bucko Member

the RIOT ACT to my 12 yr old son of late

6. AdamS

AdamS Biggest LORD fan EVER

Psychology in general. I haven't really zeroed in on any particular type. Just interested in seeing how the mind works. I also read a book called Inside the Criminal Mind by Stanton E. Samenow Ph.D. which I finished a few days ago. That was a good one too.

I'm not really looking to join any kind of career field or anything. This is just pleasure reading. :)

7. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

The Hunt for Red October- on a Sony PRS-300 ebook reader.

8. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

Dust of Dreams - Steven Erikson

Any Fantasy fans out there should pickup this series, best thing i've read in years :)

9. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

Wolf - Story based on actual events from WWI about a German ship terrorising the seas around the world during the war. Never communicating and never at port to take on supplies. The ship survives by taking over other ships, taking their crew as prisoners and their supplies to use on their own ship, coal, food, etc.

When I was shopping last week looking for this book I finally found it at this one shop, the book shop chick was FUCKING HOT. Even my wife said "oooh, she's kinda cute aye?" That's permission to flirt, so I did. Shamefully. hahaha.

Tony Barber - of Sale of the Century fame. Very interesting story. He's really never had it good. Even with the most popular show in Australia in the 80's, he was being screwed by the network, and everyone else working for it.

The Way It Is - It's a book on Buddhism.

Where's Stig - a-la Where's Wally. But it's the Stig, from Top Gear. I bought two copies. One for myself and one for a friend for Christmas.

That's it from me this month. Though I have some books waiting for release on Amazon.

10. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

just finished reading Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko and highly recommend it.

It keeps you thinking and doesn't spell anything out for you, an issue I have with a few books that I have read lately.

going to start on the new Terry Pratchett next, Unseen Academicals, which may be, unfortunately, the last book that he writes. Though he is meant to be working on another book, whether or not he can finish it is the issue but he is aiming to wrap up the Discworld.
    Honestly hope that if he does stop writing it isn't taken up by other writers because it just wouldn't work.
    Case in point, the latest book in the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series And Another Thing which was written as an original concept, not based upon anything Douglas Adams had noted down before his untimely death.

11. Doesy

Doesy Fatal If Swallowed

I just started reading Floating Dragon again by Peter Straub. There's something about this book that has a really good re-read value. It's not a great book by any means though. I'm not sure what it is about it.

12. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member

Just picked up Matthew Reilly's second installment to The Six Sacred Stones, The Five Greatest Warriors.
    A few realllllly late nights are coming up I think!!!

I really love his style of writing, collected all his books. Damn shame he is only book-signing in the other states, Adelaide always misses out.

13. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

The Greatest Show on Earth, by Richard Dawkins. It's a fantastic book. I've avoided most of his stuff because his smug attacks on religion are tiresome. But in this book doesn't have much of that, it mostly sticks to explaining about evolution rather than throwing insults around. Though of course he does find a bit of time for that.

I tell you one thing, the man can write. In the hundreds of pages I only had to reread once or twice, and I never had to force myself to keep reading. I'd advise everyone to read this book just to enjoy his writing style.

Also, he puts up a watertight case for evolution, one that's impossible to deny without claiming that almost every other major scientific field is wrong. I actually work with a creationist, if the subject ever comes up I now have a lot more to say on the matter.

14. Rick

Rick Senior User

In regards to that book, Si, i was having a geez over the critical reception area of Wiki (as you do with books like Dawkins', if not purely for the lolz) and noticed that one of the reviewers from the Times criticised Dawkins' approach to Evolution being more than a theory, e.g. having a softer stance on the concept of creationism, et al. being warranted. Some of the backlash from scholars was interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/25/b...CTOFEVO_LETTERS.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

15. TheDenimRager

TheDenimRager Hats make things better.

Just knocked over Jack Kerouac's On the Road, moved on to Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude. Contemporary classics ahoy.

16. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I read One Hundred Years of Solitude a couple of years ago. Good book. It's interesting how it moves through the generations like it does.

17. Shadow298

recently started reading Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, the first of the Hannibal Lecter books.

not sure if I enjoy it because the writing style seems amateurish. Not terrible, just dry, like alienating.

it's great once he gets to details and characters but he takes a bit to build up to those moments but he still keeps interested for the most part.

18. Rick

Rick Senior User

That was by far the best film adaptation, too. I fucking loathed Silence of the Lambs because i read the book first, and the movie was terribly transferred. Not to mention Jodie Foster is probably the worst actor on Earth, and i didn't have to imagine her atrocious accent in the book. Hannibal was pretty dull as movie, also.

19. Shadow298

they took parts out of Silence of the Lambs and mixed in some elements directly from Red Dragon (the original movie was caled Manhunter for some reason and then remade as Red Dragon years later) and they just butchered Hannibal -taking out entire characters and scenes and changing the ending.

20. Rick

Rick Senior User

Jorge Luis Borges - The Book of Imaginary Beings.