Separate names with a comma.
Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!
Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by Prismatic Sphere, Jul 23, 2002.
Really the whole song. Though if it's really one of your favorites, well, to each their own.
Well, this is hard to do this kind of list, since i like pretty much everything they did
Here's mine :
2- The Eyes of Medusa
3- In the Dragon's Den
4- Church of the Machine
5- The Turning
6- Candlelight fantasia
7- The Witching Hour
8- The Haunting
9- The Walls of Babylon
10- The Odyssey
1/2. Divine Wings Of Tragedy / The Odyssey - Needs no explanation - two absolutely epic songs. The Odyssey's got a bit more variety, while DWOT is more consistent
3. Revelation - Possibly the best song excluding the two beasts above. This is how to do an epic album closer.
4. The Edge Of Forever - Amazing opening, amazing chorus, amazing guitar. Just amazing. Also perhaps the first of many amazing songs from the band.
5. Paradise Lost - The vocals here are among the best of any song, the verses are just so rich and the final chorus fadeout is a perfect way to end the song.
6. Accolade II - It's difficult to pick a winner out of the two Accolades. I went with this one because I prefer the heavier sound, darker tone and more character driven story. Also the intsrumental section before the last chorus is godly.
7. Rediscovery (Part 2) - Okay, this is also how to do an epic album closer. That opening riff is just sublime, and the section from about 2:10 - 3:00 is one of my favourite bits of Symphony X. The song really draws everything of V together for a fitting conclusion to a brilliant concept album.
8. The Accolade - A classic song. I love the "down his chosen road he rides to save the world" opening to each verse, and how they have such different meaning each time. I also love the ending - it definitely trumps Accolade II here.
9. Fallen - The chorus and the lead into it is just brilliant. Sometimes the vocals on V bother me, but there is none of this here. Russel Allen is the star in this song.
10. Eve Of Seduction - The only thing better than the sudden explosion of the opening riff is the opening riff once again after that amazing chorus, and yet another standout performance from Russel Allen.
Egypt, Communion And The Oracle, A Winter's Dream and Smoke And Mirrors come close.
Those are great choices!
It's really hard to put these in any particular order and there are naturally lots of magnificent stuff that I regretfully had to leave out. Most of these songs are here because of Allen's incredible singing in these particular songs.
1. The Accolade: A total masterpiece! Almost ten minuts of pure genius. The chorus is a blast.
2. Inferno (Unleash The Fire): Another fantastic chorus! When I first heard this I couldn't get it out of my mind.
3. The Accolade II: Not as good as the original, but is still a worthy sequel. Allen's singing in the final chorus is simply incredible!
4. Eyes Of Medusa: Russell once again gives it all. I like the rhythm and the chorus once again blows me away.
5. Set The World On Fire (The Lie of Lies): A lot like Inferno and I like it for the same reasons.
6. The Pharaoh: Great song! Chorus rocks and Russell puts the icing on the cake with his singing especially in the middle part of the song.
7. Through The Looking Glass: Even though I like the longest epics of Symphony X and really I understand why people love them i really like these little bit shorter epics more. This one is something special. Definitely the greatest song of the Twilight record. Same can be said for...
8. Rediscovery (Part II) The New Mythology: V is such a complete piece of work I like to listen it as a whole, but the ending is really grand.
9. Of Sins And Shadows: "Thank you very much everybody and good night!"
10. Wicked: I like the story and even though this one hasn't got the greatest chorus it really soes make up for it in the other parts. Russell once again delivers.
It really tells it all about this band that whenever I listen to any of the albums from Divine Wings to Paradise Lost I think this is the best record they've done!
I wish more people had "Wicked" and "Pharaoh" in their Top 10s.
Time for an April 2010 revision:
Communion and the Oracle
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Through the Looking Glass
The Walls of Babylon
Absinthe And Rue
Edge Of Forever
The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
Through The Looking Glass
The Accolade II
dressed to kill
church of the machine
divine wings of tragedy
communion and the oracle
Some underrated gems, for sure.
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Lady of the Snow
Communion and the Oracle
The Bird-Serpent War Cataclysm
On the Breath of Poseidon
The Accolade II
/blue are my favorites
part I - The Vision
part II - Disarray
part III - Love, Remorse, and Defeat (outro).
Simply brilliant song.
It's good but I prefer Infinite Knowledge.
In no order:
Communion and The Oracle
Bird Serpent War/Cataclysm
Church of the Machine
Divine Wings of Tragedy
Absinthe and Rue
Of Sins and Shadows
Whispers or Edge of Forever (split decision)
I would have also loved to include Odyssey and the rest of V (fools paradise/absence of light) on the list but wanted to put some of the more obscure songs on the list first.
Sea of Lies
King of Terrors
How can you limit the choices to only 10 songs? Ever since Russell Allen joined the band after the first CD, everything they have released has been brilliant. I think The Divine Wings Of Tragedy,
V: The New Mythology Suite, The Odyssey, and Paradise Lost are perfect CDs. Every song on each is outstanding. I am waiting not so patiently for their new CD. I CANNOT WAIT MUCH LONGER!
I am 49 years old and I can't remember anticipating a new release more from any band.
That being said, my 10 in no particular order:
Sea Of Lies
The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
Communion And The Oracle
Rediscovery Pt. 2
The Walls Of Babylon
I just had to add another 10, also in no particular order:
The Edge Of Forever
The Eyes Of Medusa
On The Breath Of Poseidon
King Of Terrors
Church Of The Machine
Eve Of Seduction
The Odyssey - As epic as it gets IMO, and maybe my favorite metal song.
Awakenings - A beautiful blend of heavy and soft, without being erratic, like a bourbon with a good bit of rye.
The Divine Wings of Tragedy - Given the choral intro this one is every bit as epic as the odyssey, and I love the part they took from mars, plus this song had a million great melodies, and is a great example of their musicianship (time signature shifts and whatnot). Btw if you are a metalhead and/or really like movie music, get the planets by Holst. It's amazing how much came from that.
Through the Looking Glass - One of the most interesting stories Symphony X has done a song on, and that's saying something. Excellent vocals, and overall a great song.
The Edge of Forever - Read the above comments and them consider that I had a very hard time putting any song above it. Great chorus, that's what they, and all epic power metal, do best.
The Sacrifice - My Favorite from Paradise Lost, which was an absolutely perfect album. The odyssey, Dwot, and V were as well, but PL was just simply the best.
The Accolade - A great song, especially melodically, a great story, and makes the second one just that much better.
Paradise Lost - Hard to pick a best song from that album, but the title track is in the 8 spot.
Accolade II - Nearly as good as the first, and great musically and melodically.
Revelation - It was hard to put this at number ten, but it's just amazing. Awesome way to close out the album
I can't resist another ten:
Communion and the Oracle - Excellent song, hard to leave off the top ten, and maybe Romeo's best solo.
Eve of Seduction - Musically impressive and one of the best choruses ever (though I think the chorus to The Sacrifice is just a bit better). Another hard one to leave out.
The Walls of Babylon - A great epic track to lead into another great epic track.
Candlelight Fantasia - Muscally and lyrically beautiful, and very meaningful to me as a composer.
Fallen - Love the chorus, nice and heavy.
Evolution - Another great song from V, which is basically a perfect album. I love the way it plays as a whole.
Lady of the Snow - One of their most musically and lyrically interesting songs, I like that it's not a well known story on the level that the Odyssey, Through the looking glass and DWOT/PL are on.
A Winters Dream (I & II) - Very well put together, and really the only better song on that album is Edge of Forever.
Seven - Another perfect song from a perfect album, great intro... Great everything.
Wicked - I could have put this higher, but I burned out on it from listening to it too much. The Odyssey introduced me to Symphony X a few years ago, and they have since become my favorite metal band. I could pick 40 perfect Symphony X songs. Their catalogue is the best in metal IMO. When I'm in the mood for epic music, it's this, Howard Shore, Holst, Zimmer, or Williams.
Iconoclast really made me reexamine this. All ten songs from that record now take the cake.
1. The Dog Ate It
2. I Left It At Home
3. It's Still In My Locker(really rollicking chorus on this one)
Pt. 1(Flat Tire)
Pt. 2(Speeding Ticket)
5. Blown Away By The Wind(incredible ballad)
6. Went Through The Washing Machine(smokin' solos by MJR and P.)
7. Record Label Management Delays(this one has a great interlude)
8. I Spilled My Pepsi All Over It(Rulllo really comes through here)
9. I Don't Know Where I Put It
10. I'm Sorry. Can I Please Have An Extension?(Russ really squeezes his nuts on this one)
This album easily blows away anything they have ever done.
It very well could be.