This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What are your TOP-ALBUMS of 2008?

Discussion in 'Seventh Wonder' started by Kazar, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Kazar

Kazar SW-moderator

Hey all,

the year is nearing its end - let us know: what is/are your best/favorite album(s) of this year.
    You can make it a 'top-something-list' or just write something about whatever you liked.

Number one for me this year, and that probably isn't a surprise, is 'Mercy Falls'. I've said it before: this really could be my number one cd of all time - I know it's hard to compare a '4-months-old-cd' to one that is 16 years old ('Images and Words' by Dream Theater) but the impact MF has made to me has been absolutely mindblowing.

I also like 'The Art Of War' by SABATON. I think they made another huge step after their last effort; TAOW cotains well-written (power)metalsongs with awesome choruses.

LEVERAGE made a good record as well: it's more hardrock than metal but I really like 'Blind Fire' a lot.

MINDFLOW made another cd this year, it is called "Destructive Device". I don't like the last three songs but the rest of the songs are pretty good. I like this cd more than their previous albums.

Two other good albums: SIX MINUTE CENTURY's 'Time Capsule' and EYEFEAR's 'The Unseen' - both decent albums but not as good as the ones mentioned above.

All in all, a nice 'metal-year' - let's see what 2009 will bring. I'm sure there will be a lot of good releases but I'm especially looking forward to new albums from DREAM THEATER, CIRCUS MAXIMUS and MAGIC PIE.

2. fire_angel

fire_angel Timboooooo

3. Aran

Aran Member

Here's my top 10 list this year.

1. SEVENTH WONDER – MERCY FALLS
    2. ROYAL HUNT – PARADOX II : COLLISION COURSE
    3. CLOUDSCAPE – GLOBAL DRAMA
    4. APPEARANCE OF NOTHING – WASTED TIME
    5. JORN – LONELY ARE THE BRAVE
    6. FIREWIND – THE PREMONITION
    7. SERENITY – FALLEN SANCTUARY
    8. SCAR SYMMETRY – HOLOGRAPHIC UNIVERSE
    9. COMMUNIC – PAYMENT OF EXCISTENCE
    10. HARMONY – CHAPTER II : AFTERMATH

4. sirclansman

sirclansman Man in Black Parade

- SEVENTH WONDER - MERCY FALLS
    - STORMWARRIOR - HEADING NORTHE
    - LEVERAGE - BLIND FIRE
    - JUDAS PRIEST - NOSTRADAMUS
    - SERENITY - FALLEN SANCTUARY
    - BROTHER FIRETRIBE - HEART FULL OF FIRE
    - MOONMADNESS - ALL IN BETWEEN
    - THE CHANT - GHOSTLINES
    - OPETH - WATERSHED
    - AVANTASIA - THE SCARECREW

5. tommidt

tommidt Member

I have almost the same... Just change The Chant to Jimi Jamison - Crossroads Moment. Plus there are maaany other cool abums that didn´t make my Top 10, but are just great! Like Circus Maximus etc...

6. Ravenom

Ravenom New Metal Member

1. Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls - by far!

2. Dominici - O3 - A Trilogy part 3
    3. Sabaton - The Art of War
    4. Bullet for My Valentine - Scream, Aim, Fire
    5. Ayreon - 01011001
    6. Disturbed - Indestructible
    7. Equilibrium - Sagas
    8. Eluveitie - Slania
    9. Testament - The Formation of Damnation
    10. Royal Hunt - Paradox II

7. Lord_an

Lord_an Member

I just...don't know many new bands, and new albums...so...I just have kind of a top 3...XD

1. Mercy Falls - Seventh wonder (the best album since DT's scenes from a memory)

2. Chaos In Motion - Dream Theater (I was looking forward this cd/dvd, since I went to the concert)

3. Watershed - Opeth (started listening this band some short time ago, it blew my mind!)

8. Romanowar

Romanowar Italian horseman

I am a freaking power metal fan, so something can sound strange for a prog metal forum: anyway, here you have my personal top 10 for 2008:

SEVENTH WONDER: Mercy Falls
    FIREWIND: The Premonition
    EDGUY: Tinnitus Sanctus
    METALLICA: Death Magnetic
    SAINT DEAMON: In shadows lost from the brave
    AVANTASIA: The Scarecrow
    SERENITY: Fallen Sanctuary
    STORMWARRIOR: Heading Northe
    VOODOO CIRCLE: Voodoo Circle
    ALMAH: Fragile Equity

2008 flop: Revolution Renaissance
    2008 surprise: Saint Deamon
    best 2008 show: Lizzy Borden @ Bang Your Head

9. Taliwakker

Taliwakker .....

THE GOOD

Seventh Wonder-Mercy Falls....best concept album (by a band) i have heard in a long time. Tommy's voice is amazing, the songs are amazing. The playing is top notch. Love it.

Protest the Hero-Fortress.....this one is all over the place but they manage to create great songs. Sounds kind of like a cross between Incubus and Mars Volta if they were a tech metal band.

Frost*-EIMA.....A real grower for me. I loved Milliontown...was initially let down a bit by this but discovered its magic through headphones and persistence.

It Bites-The Tall Ships.....Like Kino II. John Mitchell is just awesome.

Opeth-Watershed.....just really good....as expected.

Zero Hour-Dark Deciever....A bit heavier than the last cd....still great...though i think some of the song writing style is getting a little too familiar.

Jorn-Lonely are the Brave....took a while to appreciate this one....very Dio inspired songs.

Ayreon-01011....not as good as THE but still great...Jorn kicks major ass on this.

Avantasia-The Scarecrow...wasn't a huge fan of the first two Av discs...this one has a bit more variety and better songs. Jorn kicks major ass on this.

Mercenary-Architect of Lies....not too different from the last one.....which i loved.

Scar Symmetry-Holographic Universe....a bit more commercial than PBP but some killer songs and some killer solos. Pity Christain left the band.

Greg Howe-Soundproof.....some amazing guitar playing...funky as shit.

Rose Kemp-Unholy Majesty....a dark folky grungy doomy album with her distinctive voice. She's great.

Anathema-Hindsight.....perfect mellow album. Not a huge fan before this but will check out some older stuff

Cynic-Traced in Air....i like this more than Focus...its a bit mellower and the vocals, although processed as fuck, are more to my liking.

Meshuggah-ObZen....same old stuff really...still kicks ass.

Harmony-Chapter II:Aftermath.....Not too disimilar to Darkwater...a bit less proggy. Good songs...not huge on the Christian themes though.

Ra-Black Sun.....I love Sahaj's voice.

Volbeat...Guitar Gangsters and Cadillac Blood. Not convinced by the first two albums but gave them one last try and really dig it.

All Ends-All Ends.....quite commercial sounding female fronted heavy rock. One of the two singers has an almighty voice. Probably my fave female voice atm.

Raunchy-Wasteland Discotheque......Heavy in the right places and catchy in the right places

The OK

Karmakanic-Who's the Boss.....quite good...some songs just are too long...and Goran should let his voice venture out of the midrange more often (like he used too)

Suspyre-When Time Fades....these guys have almost got it right on all three albums. Too much unnecessary instrumentation and lack of hooks hold this back.

Dark Empire-Humanity Dethroned....not as good as Persuader....it got played a bit when i first got it but bored of it too quickly.

Saint Deamon-In Shadows Lost From The Brave....not consistently good but definately has its moments.

Serenity-Fallen Sanctuary....liked the first album better. This one hasn't grabbed me.

Sevendust-VII.....they keep churning out the same stuff....i loved it on Animosity but after 7 discs its too predictable. Morgan should stop screaming and leave it to the black guy.

Kings X-XV...Its been getting good reviews and called a return to form but its still a long way from "form" in my books.

Kiske-Past in Different Ways....after the novelty wore off it gets a bit boring. Magic voice still.

Starbreaker-Love's Dying Wish....great in small doses...i just have a bit of a problem with Harnell's voice. Better than the debut and Magnus Karlson sounds less like himself on this release which is good because he's on a lot of stuff.

Souljourners-Mind Control....pretty good and nice to hear a lower egister voice in a prog setting. Just lacks something.

Eyefear-The Unseen.....Good sounding album....but they are starting to sound a bit samey.

Tomorrow's Eve-Tales from Serpentia....probably haven't played this as much as i could have...or maybe there is a reason for that????

Xystus-Equilibrio...very ambitious...some good orchestration....would sound much better without the vocalists...they (and the melodies) let this one down.

The Crap...and the let downs....not all of these are bad.

Motley Crue-Saints of LA.....shit from start to finish

Judas Priest-Nostradamus....they were a bit average live...and this will rarely if ever be played again by me i think.

Metallica-Death Magnetic...i think i've had to teach nearly all the songs on the album to students in the past 2-3 months....better than teaching them Greenday i guess...but not much.

Into Eternity-The Incurable Tragedy.....they peaked on Buried in Oblivion....and the decline continues here.

Iced Earth-Wicked II.....i don't like Iced Earth except for some of the early Barlow stuff. Boring as shit...why do people like these guys so much?

Pyramaze-Immortal....was hoping that Barlow would sound good in a different musical setting. The songs are predictable and bland unfortunately.

Bumblefoot-Abnormal...he's so fucking good on guitar. His songwriting is not what it used to be. Bummer.

Whitesnake-Good to be Bad.....has all the right ingerdients but none of the songs do it for me.

UnSun-The End of Life....she sucks.

Anberlin-New Surrender.....crap songs. Cities was 100 times better.

X-World 5-New Universal Order.....bored shitless. Nils should do Pagan's Mind and Pagan's Mind only!

10. Buddah

Buddah New Metal Member

Metal:

1. Equillibrium - Sagas
    2. Norther - N
    3. Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls
    4. Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe
    5. Eluveitie - Slania
    6. Amon Amarth -Twilight of the Thunder God
    7. AC/DC - Black Ice

Non-metal:

1. Markus Krunegård - Markusevangeliet
    2. Amy MacDonald - This Is the Life

Can't remember any other albums atm :)

11. MAXX68

MAXX68 Member

Frankly speaking there were not so many unforgettable issues, so I've to reduce my personal top charts upto 2 great sensational 'Newcomers" of the Year' :

Best CD '08
    Seventh Wonder - MF
    H.E.A.T. - Heat 2008

Best Live '08 Acts:
    Seventh Wonder Live in Italy (cannot choose a date, every single minute...)
    Europe Live Acoustic Nalen Stockholm 26/01/2008
    Kamelot Oslo Norway Sentrum Theater 03/05/2008
    Firewind Live THESSALONIKI Greece (recording live DVD) 12/01/2008
    Avantasia Live Sweden Rock Festival 07/06/2008
    Danger Danger Nottingham UK Firefest 26/10/2008
    Lizzy Borden Balingen BYH Germany 28/06/2008
    (actually I travelled a lot...:headbang: lol)

Best '08 Live song:
    Seventh Wonder/Circus Maximus covering "The final countdown"
    live Ronchi Italy 9/11/08 (there'd be some mins on youtube)

Good surprises / welcome back!:
    Metallica-Death Magnetic
    Whitesnake-Good to be Bad

Dreams of '09: to see LOUDNESS Live in concert !!
    to see again Seventh Wonder Live in concerts !!

that's all folks
    ciao

12. fire_angel

fire_angel Timboooooo

Spot on on both counts. Wow, i thought i was the only Ra fan out there.

13. dee2tompa

dee2tompa New Metal Member

1 is absolute number one.....Mercy falls SW
    2 is Norther album N
    3 is dream steel album You

14. SonataFanatica

Amen to that, man. :Smug:

My favourite releases from 2008 (alphabetically):

Ayreon · 01011001
    Harmony · Chapter II: Aftermath
    Hollenthon · Opus Magnum
    Opeth · Watershed