This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

What do you think about Iconoclast?

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by clafalc, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Detective Clarence Beauregard

:lol:

Found this review, as well: http://thequietus.com/articles/07219-lou-reed-metallica-lulu-review

"We have but a short period on this earth and Lulu, spread over 95 – yes, 95! – tedious and excruciating minutes simply eats into time that could be more constructively spent watching the grass grow or perhaps wanking into a sock."

2. lecroix74

lecroix74 Member

maybe you should start "They don't play what I want them to play" or "My musical taste is the best in the world" thread....

3. Prismatic Sphere

Prismatic Sphere We Carouse

So you WERE serious. Wow. :lol:

4. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

TIO > (PL + IC)

5. _Gentleman of_the Snow_

_Gentleman of_the Snow_ Prog' Drummer

I don't understand why Romeo would consider Iconoclast an album that would take a while to absorb. The album is not very deep, IMO. I would say this about V, but not IC or PL.

6. AsoTamaki

AsoTamaki Member

I don't know, guys. I'm liking this far, far more than I thought I ever possibly could. The album initially felt underwhelming (even a little tedious to listen to) due to the lack of variety and dynamics which caused a lot of the songs to seemingly blend together. Taken individually however, each one has plenty of depth and interesting moments. Try listening to just one or two tracks by themselves if you can't handle the entire onslaught.

It won't ever match the complexity and completeness of V, but there is great material here that shouldn't be overlooked and does reveal itself after multiple listens. I'm even enjoying Russell's vocals on the Prometheus verses now...

7. maestro41

maestro41 Member

I really like Iconoclast; I think it represents their style and talent; certainly the best on the album on its own and in this regard.

8. PurpleDink

PurpleDink Member

Now young Padawan, there is no such thing as "better taste," just taste that hold more weight than others.

9. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

heavy taste? :err:

Each has a unique sabor that has no bearing on anyone elses, except in cases where people are influenced or receptive to the opinions of others over their own.

10. iceandfire84

iceandfire84 The One Who Knocks

There is no doubt my mind all albums prior to PL/IC take much more time to absorb than the new stuff. For instance, the first time I listened to V I don't remember liking much about it except for Egypt and now it's my definitive Symphony X album. I do think that IC probably took a bit more absorbtion than PL (especially songs like Prometheus which is one of my favorites). I still continue to enjoy all facets of their discography regardless of the change in styles, and all of the albums enjoy pretty much equal play to me. I do have little desire to listen to PL much anymore though.

11. clafalc

clafalc New Metal Member

#151 clafalc, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  12. metalxmetalx

metalxmetalx Member

I've been listening to Iconoclast a lot lately, and I like it. As asotamaki wrote, taken individually a lot of its songs sound interesting. Its a typical case where the sum of the parts are greater than the whole. However, I think the lyrics are the weakest they've ever written.

13. Prismatic Sphere

Prismatic Sphere We Carouse

I watched a video of them doing When All Is Lost live and I really do have to say that the song does go over really well live.

14. PrgrsveMetalnChains

PrgrsveMetalnChains Vocal Prince

I have much dislike for TIO...most of the album is nothing special imo; I still like it better than PL + IC though I think. It has more diversity in its songs which is nice. I used to think I liked the more metal side of the band but now that IC has been out awhile I definitely love the older classical side to the band. So much more to that music than the new stuff. I like IC for the most part though - I listen to it everyday.

15. PurpleDink

PurpleDink Member

:bah:

16. donKyle

donKyle Member

Hit the switch, you son of a bitch!

I can't help but laugh every time.

17. Detective Clarence Beauregard

We rule, we fly
    Above the lights of the neon sky
    We fight, we cry
    The lords of chaos will never die

:lol:

It's like I'm in third grade again. Seriously, what would possess Russell to think that these are in any way good lyrics?! It's MJR's fault, too, for allowing this stuff (including the "sunnavabitch" line in Dehumanized) to actually be used on the album. Did it come down to crunch time and they just went "fuck it?"

Also, does anyone else think it's a coincidence that Russ ended up writing the lyrics to (in my opinion) the three weakest tracks on the album?

18. _Gentleman of_the Snow_

_Gentleman of_the Snow_ Prog' Drummer

...those lyrics are absolutely atrocious. Why, SX?

Why didn't SX try to write lyrics with some depth to help make the overall package even better? Even if you don't care about lyrics, you should at least try to make them interesting.
    There isn't a single redeeming quality in those lyrics... but somebody considered them acceptable. I don't get it.

19. donKyle

donKyle Member

I wonder what Pinella thinks about the lyrics...he's always the quiet one. All the other members of the band seem to like the album a lot though. I think I saw two interviews where Lepond and Rullo said they were proud of Iconoclast.

20. Progbass

Progbass Member

I bet they are just saying that in public but in real they think, damn we want another V and Odyssey! :D