This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What does this band sound like live?

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by BriGreentea, Oct 6, 2008.

1. DaemonPainter

DaemonPainter ( pretends he's swedish)

Most logical thing to do is get the roundhouse tapes. I'm sure you could find some youtube footage but I;m sure it'll sound like shit because of youtube's awesome*cough qaulity audio/video. They really are a joy to see live especially since Mikael can actually sing exceptioanlly well live and rip your face off with his roars as he displays his modest guitartastic prowess. Their live set-up is relatively simple - I'm sure Per fills in a bunch of melodies on the keyboard to fill in for missing parts on some of their older material. Truly an epic live band. Mikael is my theoretical jeebus.

2. metalheadmaniac0

metalheadmaniac0 New Metal Member

It sounds like drugs. And I don't say that often.
    If you're in the right crowd and atmosphere, you will transcend your body.

3. x_OPETH_x

x_OPETH_x Member

It sounds like a band, playing slightly stripped-down versions of your favorite songs.

The actual sound quality differs between venues (and which sound guy is working that night).

Mike's vocals and crowd interaction are great....Per's cheesy keyboard tones are usually too loud...it depends on where you're standing as to whether you'll be able to hear Mike/Frederik clearly....and Axe tends to speed up the tempo on many parts, which in turn makes everyone else rush, and sound sloppier.

That said, though, i still haven't seen a live metal act that even comes close. Porcupine Tree is about the only band i've seen that was close to recreating the atmosphere present in the album, with every sound and effect accounted for.

4. Brooks

Brooks Eyes Wide Open

I actually like The Grand Conjuration when they play it live. Trust me, they know what they're doing.

5. affinityband

affinityband Member

lol @ pers cheesy keyboard tones. nothing cheesy about mellotron and moog sounds at all. they sound awesome

6. Brooks

Brooks Eyes Wide Open

Not only that, but the man knows how to use em

7. L0bster

L0bster OneTwo!

Opeth work surpirisingly well in a live situation, considering all the layering on disc. I was very much blown away the first time I saw them back 'round deliverance, and I still am everytime I see them (coming to the 14th now, almost bragable). I heard from some friends that they were actually not really liveready around blackwater park when they "reappeared" as a live act, but I think they cought unto it fast after some major touring and getting to know the crew. I think the current lineup is their best live-lineup to date.

8. BriGreentea

BriGreentea Member

I took your advise and I'm going with my wife next Wednesday! It was a debate though. I've always wanted to go to the House of Blues, heard it's a nice venue. Was going to see King Diamond last May but believe they canceled.
    The debate though ran next Thursday when Virgin Black was coming to Fort Worth opening for Amorphis. I saw Virgin Black last year in a God forsaken place I refuse to mention and was shocked they returned back to the States.
    I've really been addicted to Opeth last month, so I went with my gut and I am going to see them. The fact they are closing did it for me so they are not like so many bands I love opening for a medicore/lousy band that is closing and only playing for 30 minutes.

I must say though...straight up F--- Ticketmaster for charging 8 dollars for each ticket in service charges. What a joke. Now I know why Eddie Vedder hates them so much. Sorry for the rant. I can't wait to see them, this should be an awesome show!

9. BefriendedUnit

BefriendedUnit They wear white for me

^Dude it's called a CONVENIENCE charge. Don't worry - it's for your convenience!

10. Mr. Bland

Mr. Bland Hey look, its MR BLAND!

Yeah, I think they're pretty damn tasteful additions tbh. Great band live btw. Even if the venue is crap, it should be a great experience.

11. Markitos`s apprentices

i havent attended to any opeth show, but based on the lamentations dvd , It could be said that power-dvd is way better than wmp.

:rofl:

no seriously, watch some bootlegs, the answer lies within.

12. Cognitive Intercourse

Very cool!!! I'm really excited because this will be the first time for me to see Opeth live as well. But based on the Lamentations DVD and the Roundhouse Tapes...I have a feeling that this is going to be one hell of a great concert. :headbang:

13. MixGrafix

MixGrafix Dulce Et Decorum Est

Wyandotte, Michigan, Usa, Earth, Sol's System
    It is an experience you will tell your grandkids about..... and they are better live than on cd. Go comfortably numb, and that will make the show even better. It is a wall of sound. Kudos to the sound guy in Grand Rapids at the Orbit Room.

Mix

14. Guitar-Non-Player

Hearing Opeth live is much better than hearing them on their albums.

And if you're lucky and Mike is in a good mood you might witness some Akerfeldt jokes too.

I'll be seeing them next month.

15. metalducter

metalducter New Metal Member

they sond like the singing definition of brutal death mixed with splendered "peasful" songs. basicly any song live, brutal or light or both, will create chills, rage, and ease.

16. StealerAG

StealerAG Darkness reared its head

:nod:

17. BriGreentea

BriGreentea Member

Wow, what a concert that was. That was one hell of a show. They sounded and played terrific. Akerfeldt was quite amusing in between the songs talking about his new ( and awesome )Paul Reed Smith guitar. I'm still in the process of getting all the albums so I don't know all the songs, still have a few albums to go. In fact, I just got Still Life that day of the concert. So far though, I think Watershed is easily the best album and those songs sounded so amazing live. I can't believe they played Lotus Eater. That song sounded so amazing live. I was also hoping they would play one of the mellow songs off Damnation but I knew they wouldn't. But they did! He asked if it was ok for a ballad. Why ask? Everyone wanted it and they played Hope Leaves and I was in awe. When they started off they played Heir Apparent and before everyone was shouting Opeth's name and when they played the first few notes the crowd was intense. House of Blues, the venue was amazing (even though parking was a pain). I also thought High on Fire was intense. I never seen someone play a 12 string electric like that...and caught some of the first band Baroness I think they were and was freakin heavy. I need to check both of those bands out.
    Anyways, awesome concert.

18. SeViMeTaL

SeViMeTaL OpEtH AddiCtEd...

i was there too :)

19. BefriendedUnit

BefriendedUnit They wear white for me

Did anyone else notice that Fredrik played a new solo on Hope Leaves?

20. Mr. Bland

Mr. Bland Hey look, its MR BLAND!

Yeah, i loved that part. I really hope they start adding more and more to their live songs, it makes them all the more special and great.