This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

what dyall think of the new stuff?

Discussion in 'Saxon' started by Bosnian Witchfinder, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Bosnian Witchfinder

i thought the harvey goldsmith mix of the single was taking it too far,
    but saxons mix is cool,

for those who havent heard the songs:

if i was you-the fast rhythm of dragons lair with dark metalhead-esque riffs

attila the hun-like witchfinder but with more rhythm changes, a few breakdowns, the riffing is quite modern

i think all in all its sounds great, definetly fresh, but it might aleinate a few of the old guard in the process

2. CRUSADER747

CRUSADER747 \\Power Metal Maniac//

I wish i could have heard the new songs, but i didn't get back from the pub till 11:45 so i missed the show :cry:

3. Sammi951

Sammi951 Member

I preferred version 2 of that new song myself! I liked it straight away, it's very catchy and I will vote for it in a bit! Attila the hun - Hmmm, didn't like the drumming part much, but the song will probably grow on me :D

I did like the Rose Tattoo one a lot, and the Masterplan one was quite good too!

4. heavycelli

heavycelli Member

Me too!

5. heavycelli

heavycelli Member

It sounded like george Michael, drumming, maybe a bit less explicit (softer) recorded, should sound better!? Is that what you mean,..? ( I dont Know..you could be right) Did it irritate a bit? Maybe.. The intro I did like alot.. It was toos hort in fact.. The first time I didnt notice,.. but in the repeat.., I would record it softer,..but who am I..

6. Sammi951

Sammi951 Member

I'm not sure really - I'm no expert on these things by any stretch of the imagination!! It kind of sounded "out of place" in the song, kind of a bit "amateurish", dare I say? :D It sounded like I was doing the drumming! :lol: I only listened to it once though, so maybe I'd like it with a few more listens :) Drumming doesn't do it for me anyway - I like guitars best :headbang:

7. Bosnian Witchfinder

8. Sammi951

Sammi951 Member

I sent an e-mail earlier - and also just used this link - but both e-mails came back saying "unknown mail recipient" :( I also looked on the total rock website, but there isn't a link on there (that I could find, anyway!) to enable us to vote :cry:

9. Paxoman

Paxoman Member

Think it's gonna be version 2 for me as well. I loved the song straight away. It's just one of those songs that is catchy right from the off, and a song you will be familiar with in a few listens. Great stuff.

Attila the hun, think I'll have to hear a few times. Yeah the drums were a bit weird, but it was just a rough mix, so no doubt that didn't do it any favours.

10. valanx

valanx Room of Angel

Tried to vote version 2 myself, my email was bounced back also! :erk:

11. heavycelli

heavycelli Member

Mines too was bounced back..

12. heavycelli

heavycelli Member

Yes.. a bit out of place, that is the word..I agree, but maybe its a rough cut, Biff said that theywerent finished yet or something

13. Fingers

Fingers Member

Just a thought but the the vote probably closed right after the orginal airing of the show ??????????

P.S. Version 2 for me ! :Smokin:

14. valanx

valanx Room of Angel

Yeah your probably right

15. Bosnian Witchfinder

my vote worked, and it was just after the show, so its prob closed by now.

16. Sammi951

Sammi951 Member

Listened to it again last night - and I still didn't like that really fast drumming...it really does sound like someone randomly banging on the drums, for no good reason other than they want to! :lol: I think I will get to like the rest of the song though, but can't see it being one of my favourites :)

17. valanx

valanx Room of Angel

Ive played it a couple more times and i like it!!!

Biffs vocals, well nothing needs to be said there, spot on! Great guitar sound, nice evil sounding riffs, my kind of stuff there. The drum beats do work well in context with the various changing rhythms and tempos when you listen, i mean if it was just one standard type of beat all the way through it would not work and you would hear that more so, its down to the production of a rough mix why it may sound strange at first. I think. Technically it was good stuff.

Just my opinion, im no drummer. I think ive played drums once perhaps twice and found it extremely difficult.

18. saxon747rock

saxon747rock Member

Ive not heard either song yet, dam. but ive read all the treads on the songs, exp taken note to the drumming on ATH, and i guess if just one instrument for what ever reason dosent sound right it can make the whole song not what it should be, or could have been, and the song dies.

But i aint heard em yet so i cant really comment on them properly, maybe saxon will read your threads on the songs exp on ATH and have a rethink on the drumming side of that song if there is still time to do that.

Cant wait to hear the songs myself.

Rock on saxon.

19. WILKS

WILKS Member

I think the album version of the single was better than the single mix.However,i would have voted for the other version.The reason being as a marketing tool and for mass appeal the Harvey mix was better.Although not that differant you have to remember why they are doing this.So lets get behind them push the single,back the band and sit and wait for TOTP2 special,Later with Jools Holland,Ant and Dec Saturday night thingy and then a 3 hour live headliner at Monsters Of Rock.:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

20. Fingers

Fingers Member

Love it mate !