This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What got you started?

Discussion in 'Old School Metal Discussion' started by buzzardbutt, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Priest of Evil

Priest of Evil Adores the Number 666

So true!
    I dont know how some of you guys can remember the specifics. I know it began with Kiss, then I was lead away to pop. I recall being drawn back to metal through bands like Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Ozzy/Dio and their other band, lol. Thrash metal followed soon after along with too much drinking & headbanging as suggested by Tankard and Metallica's Alcoholica phase.:headbang:

2. Ficken

Ficken noobster

I don't think there was any one album that set it off. It was a slow progression for me. My older brothers always listened to rock and heavy stuff. I mostly listened to Rock radio anyways. I remember hearing plenty of Van Halen songs. Kiss- Heaven's on Fire. My oldest brother liked Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Scorpions, and AC/DC mostly.

I remember listening to his Scorpions- World Wide Live album many times. I still love that album. I still love the Scorpions.

He also had Motley Crue's first and second albums. I remember listening those when folding newspapers for delivery.

But what really set it off was the first album I bought (that I remember). Metallica- Master of Puppets. I moved from mainstream metal and rock to the heavier stuff at this point. I started moving onto Dio and bands like that as well. Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Anthrax. Then my friend convinced me to by Dark Angel- Leave Scars. This seemed to me the heaviest album ever at the time. In the end, Metallica ended up being my favourite band.

3. LieToPurify

LieToPurify fuck.

I used to like a lot of alternative-grunge shit. Nirvana, The White Stripes, etc. So I moved to where I am now, met some kids who also played guitar I went over to my friend Joes house he showed me Master of Puppets and Vulgar Display of Power and I just learned from there. Ever since Ive gotten deeper and deeper.

4. The saYer

The saYer thrashermetaller

I have no idea, I was a kid back in the 80's and metal was playing around, I don't know what it was though, most likely thrash or heavy metal. I got back into it as a teen with known bands like slayer and iron maiden.