This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What is the deal with Sweden?

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by GT2000, May 30, 2008.

1. Walls1441

Walls1441 Member

you forgot all the gothenburg bands.

2. Stilgar

Stilgar Berzerker

Umm... The winters over here are so harsh that we need to produce or listen to lots of good metal to keep us from going bonkers?

3. Holocaust on the Moon

Holocaust on the Moon Temples of Syrinx

I can't believe you forgot about ABBA!

4. Hubster

Hubster ...

Sweden doesn't lead for quality of music. Norway slays everyone, hands down.

5. abandonedwaz

abandonedwaz Member

offcourse they do......they got LORDI.....ahahaha.....just kiddin....i was so hopin theyd throw in anotehr crazy metla band for tis years euro visison....o well..........aahahaha.....PEAC EOUT

6. Kirkfjell

Kirkfjell Member

Some of you are onto the answer I think ...

One reason for the successful Swedish music scene is surely that there are plenty of possibilities to study music, and to learn how to play instruments from a very young age. Not only metal music, but also world known pop bands (ABBA, Roxette, etc) and producers (Max Martin + many more who produces songs for Madonna and Britney Spears among others). I'm not saying that they write good music, but they cash in some serious money ...

When it comes to the reason for the many metal bands that come out of here, I think it's quite simply what Stilgar said. Scandinavians in general are known for being melancholic, probably due to the long winters and many months of constant darkness. I'd be surprised if that hasn't got something to do with the often very dark/sad music produced in Norway, Sweden and Finland. The Danes are to close to the European continent, and enjoy fantastic beer in abundance, so apparently they are an exception ... = )

7. The Seeker

The Seeker Member

It's not just metal... Sweden has been known for its high caliber Jazz musicians for many years (40 or so years???). Many American jazz greats, including Keith Jarrett and possibly Miles Davis have ties with Swedish jazz artists from back in the day.

How about Abba?

There's got to be some sort of historical, cultural reason for the great musicians and great quality of music that comes out of Sweden, though.

Obviously in the states, we have several "scenes" that were/are notorious with certain styles and quality of music.

For a death metal reference, think about Tampa, FL... That was the hot-bed for many legendary dm bands, including Morbid Angel, Obituary, Deicide, Resurrection, Malevolent Creation, Monstrosity, Cynic, Death... Maybe these aren't all from Tampa specifically, but I'm pretty sure they're all originally from FL. Not to mention the legendary Morrisound Studios. For a while there it seemed that every up-and-coming death metal band would got Morrisound to record, and have Dan Seagrave do the album artwork.

These days, it's Andy Sneap for recording and Travis Smith for the artwork. I'm forgetting the name of an important Swedish recording studio... ahem.

8. Kirkfjell

Kirkfjell Member

Lordi are from Finland ...

Yes, Norway produces alot of really great extreme metal, hard to say which country is leading for quality music, depends alot on if you want your metal "blackened" or "deathened" = )

9. The Seeker

The Seeker Member

Interesting perspective, but I just wanted to point out that the "Swedish Metal" sound was one of the first to take the thrash/death combo and infuse it with major melodies and clean vocals. That doesn't seem very melancholic to me, unless the creators were so sad that they decided to incorporate more sunshine into the music :) Also, the jazz that comes out of Sweden isn't particularly melancholy, and Abba was/is quite uplifting.

Isn't there a social security program that allows musicians to collect highly taxed unemployment compensation? If that were the case here in the US, I think you'd see an increase in career musicians/artists.

10. isolation_years

im not from any scandanavian country(although i want to move there :heh:) but that's what i was going to say, i saw an interview/documentary about gaahl from gorgoroth and it described where he was from as perfect place for metal, cause its so dreary and harsh there, i agree with the TC though, my favorite music is all from there, don't forget dan swano :kickass:

11. Cerberus III

Cerberus III New Metal Member

Vikings are metal.

12. Klämrisk

Klämrisk A fucking swede

We have relatively cheap music schools in Sweden and good music education in school, that's why. And it's also because we get trained in a secret brotherhood while young.........I mean.....damn it...I've said too much...:erk:

13. Luann

Luann Member

A drummer friend of my that loves meshuggah once told me: "You have to think that they have 6 months of winter, all they can do is to play this kind of music"
    lol

14. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

Actually, I'm living in Quebec, Canada, and the metal scene seems to be growing up with pretty nice band. Still, it's local, but it doesn't need to be worldwide to be good. Note that I didn't know 3/4 of the bands you mentionned (threadmaker).

15. chainek

chainek Nails or Flippers..?

It may also be that the market in other countries are so saturated with manufactured crap that their isn't any reason to allow real musicians to make it big. Why have to worry about finding talented musicians when you can sell crap to the masses and make tons of profit?

Just speculating here.. I don't know what Sweden's music scene looks like other than the good metal that comes from there.
    Do you hear metal on the radio other than Metallica?

16. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

Do you have satellite ;) ?

17. Hubster

Hubster ...

Three words.

Tord Gustavsen Trio.

18. Katatonic89

Katatonic89 Member

We have a horrible (but cool) english accent. That's why we make metal so people cant hear it.

19. i aint play this

Marten from Meshuggah has an incredible accent for a swede. You could swear that the guy lives in L.A or something.

20. glimt

glimt Member

AT THE GATES I am going to see live this year! That is cool facts!