This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What was the first Maiden song you ever learnt?

Discussion in 'The Iron Maidens' started by Metallicat180, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Metallicat180

Metallicat180 Rockstar-In-Training

Checking into the Psycho Motel...Crieff, Scotland
    What was the first Maiden song you ever learnt on your instrument of choice? One guitar it was The Trooper for me. I just learnt the intro first and would drive everyone mental just playing that over and over again, so I finally decided to learn the rest of the song. It's still one of my faves to play (tho at the moment CSIT is occupying the fave spot). On bass, the first song I learnt was Killers - I only know that and The Trooper on bass so not got very far that way!!! Heheh!!!

2. RouxBodine

RouxBodine Morning Person

I don't know any. I'm a bassist more along the lines of DeeDee Ramone or Jerry Only. I'll leave playing Maiden to those who have talent.

3. spideyjg

spideyjg Bass Gear Geek

Play any note for note, no. Do a hacked up job that will make you want to slap me, sure.

Actually I cut my bass teeth trying to play like Steve but ended up going more in the vein of Lee and Entwistle. I saw a Who clip and noticed some of the fret tapping and downstrokes I do are very similar to the Ox. All rock bassists kneel before John Entwistle.:worship: :worship: :worship:

So I can't play and entire Maiden tune but can do about 10 seconds of quite a few. I love the Killers opening but then I'm in the dust. Can do most of HBTN. Can't even touch POTO. I've watched my video clip of Wanda doing the middle solo but that right hand technique is beyond me. :worship:

I can do triplets as fast as Steve by using three fingers.

Bottom line none.

Jim

4. BichMaker

BichMaker Pointy Guitar Builder

Either Run to the Hills or Number of the Beast.... The first thing I did when I got the album was to record it to cassette so I could play with headphones and rewind easily! So, my first listen, I was sitting there with the guitar getting it in tune with the album, then I just had to guess my way through the first listen (I couldn't stop the recording you know!). Then for the next 3 hours or so, I would sit there with my tape player and try and play the songs. Awesome days! Later that week, I went in for my guitar lesson and played the songs as I learned them for my teacher... Let's just say I was close, but I was leaving a lot out! :erk: :err: :cool:

5. RoboCaster

RoboCaster Victory is at hand.

I gotta say it was Hallowed by Thy Name, because I liked the rhythm and chord vibrato, soloing; but there are a couple different ways to play the solo, it’s been changed between the studio and live versions. However, using Tascam and headphones to learn it kinda sucked cause Tascam sucks, but at least the notes rang.

6. Metallicat180

Trust me - Killers isn't that bad!! If I can play it then anyone can!! Here is a very crap video of me playing it - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z1XVF45I I don't think I even play it quite right but it sounds ok to me. I can't really play other bassists stuff with my fingers cos I just end up doing a 3 finger gallop like Steve which doesn't sound anything like who I'm trying to play!

7. Doodoobubbachuck

Doodoobubbachuck Maidens' drums

It was either Invaders or Murders. I couldn't do that snare roll intro to Murders back then tho. LOL! I played in a 3 pc. all female band and we did Zeppelin, U2 and Maiden covers and originals too the best we could as a trio anyway! That was my very first band. :Spin:

8. RouxBodine

RouxBodine Morning Person

Thats pretty rockin!

I wish I could play using my fingers. Maybe I'll give learning that one a try after all.

9. spideyjg

spideyjg Bass Gear Geek

Very good job Jenna. Although I think the beginning is a bit busy. I don't here the frequent low E but only on like the 4th beat.

I'll send you a pm with link clip with what I'm talking about. Mind you I probably am more wrong than you but hey.

Also are some clips I shot of the Maidens

Jim

10. Travisty

Travisty Slaying the Masses 24/7

Aces high was my first

...and by the way do you put the infront of maiden's name?

11. Metallicat180

Thank you very much! :D I'm so used to playing with my fingers on a bass that I don't like using a plectrum.

12. Metallicat180

Thanks Jim!! :D

That's just how I learnt it - here's the tab that I learnt it from. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/i/iron_maiden/killers_btab.htm

Just downloading your clip now!! Thank you!

13. Frieske Rocker

Frieske Rocker New Metal Member

The riffs of Bring your daughter

14. RuntoHills

RuntoHills Lightside of Aquarius

Well, the first MAIDEN song I ever heard was "Wasted Years".

The first MAIDEN song that I could sing, exactly note for note just like Bruce Bruce, was "Run to The Hills."

That was way back about 1986 or so.

I was in 5th or 6th Grade at that time singing just as good as Bruce.

15. Turbo

Turbo Natursekt Black Metal

Hallowed Be Thy Name, on the bass.

16. Transylvania_Bass

Transylvania_Bass New Metal Member

On guitar... I can't remember which was the first, it's been ages since I played guitar seriously, and when I did, I can't remember playing anything by Maiden.

Now I'm more into bass, and I think the first Maiden song I learnt on bass was Fear of the Dark, it was quite easy for me. I now prefer playing bass than guitar, it has been easier and more enjoyable :D

17. Whiplash402

Whiplash402 Supreme Ruler

i know on guitar

hallowed be thy name(whole thing)
    flight of icarus(not solo)
    phantom of the opera(untill it gets slow)
    the trooper(intro)

18. Metallicat180

No offense duder but do you have to mention in practically every post that you can "sing just like Bruce". No-one likes a boaster - you don't see Aja saying that all the time, or Linda saying she can play just like Clive etc. Not trying to be nasty or anything but it is becoming very annoying.

19. Rendclaw To-Vensre

Rendclaw To-Vensre I'll Not Be Led Astray...

Losfer Words was my first. I have fun just playing rhythm, but there is something about Adrian's style that compels me to try and play his solos... so I have gotten his solo for Still Life, along with Dave's intro solo to that song... I love playing it.

And Jenna, you do a fine job on Killers, not to mention you're cute as all get out.

I think that I have mp3s of me playing a few Maiden songs somewhere, if anyone is interested.

20. graham24931

graham24931 New Metal Member

Anyone one else on the drums here or is it just me and Linda?

Revelations (Live After Death version) was the first maiden song I got down. That song got me hooked and from there I had to learn pretty much every maiden song...

Come to think of it, I can't think of another band where all the members are "required learning" if you wanna progress as a drummer/guitarist/whatever in this genre. Although I did learn how to mouth "NWOBMARGSDFLJHFWON" whilst playing a shite 4/4 from Large Oilrig...

Oh yeah, and I can sing Run To The Hills note for note exactly like Nicko...