This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What's the best guitar pick for DM?

Discussion in 'Musicians Discussion' started by The_Thrasher, Oct 31, 2010.

1. The_Thrasher

The_Thrasher Gold Member

I know they have to be a pretty heavy pick... but what is some of your personal faves?

and whilst we're at it. Some tips on how to do the fast trem picking part would be great as well!

Cheers.

2. rawrkunjrawr

i use 2.0 gator grip picks. but now i don't like them because i changed my picking style. thinking about Jazz III's like everyone else.

3. SmokeandShadow

SmokeandShadow Armchair Expert

Ive been through just about every pick except the more expensive stone/carbon/metal ones. After years of playing, I settled on medium celluloid's (fenders/sam ash's/planet waves whatever) because of the smooth sound yielded at high gains and fast speeds without that "chic chic" sound you may get with dunlop tortex and some other materials. I notice the sound is more consistent and somewhat more forgiving based on hand positioning, so you can skip strings very fast without messing with you're wrist position. They wear out quick but whatever.

Find a gauge of any celluloid pick that lets you play comfortably and give them a shot. I go for mediums because they have the rigidity I like for quick and accurate alternate picking, but are flexible enough to tremolo pick with no effort.

4. Episteme

Episteme Member

V-picks. I'm using the small pointed, but almost any of the pointed ones including the screamer, shredder are great. I'm a converted ex-Jazz III user of 8 years that decided to try the v-picks out and I've never been happier. Pick attack is great, the bevel design on the pointed edge helps with pinch harmonics on extremely high strings and for sweep picking. They never slip out of my grip as well with their design.

Abit expensive though, but well worth it.

5. Christgrinder666

Christgrinder666 New Metal Member

I really like the flat, heavy, unbranded picks. I know a lot of metal guitarists who use the dunlop stubbies, but I cant be doing with them myself, theyre too easy to drop.

6. The_Thrasher

The_Thrasher Gold Member

Awesome! Thanks for the replies!

I grabbed 3 new ones to try the other day. they were the dunlop big stubbie, the wedge and one of the black jazz 3 XL... So I will give those a crack and see if I like them.

I have tried the small jazz 3 ones before but the holding area was too small so hopefully these work out alright.

Anyone know what Terrence Hobbs or Pat O'Brien uses pick wise?

7. fps

fps Member

jazz III for me, at this stage i can't see myself needing to try anything else.

8. dmtone

dmtone New Metal Member

I used to use Dunlop 1.14mm Tortex. Now I primarily use 2.0mm Gator Grips.

9. ConnorFromHell

ConnorFromHell Sweep picking FTW

1.14mm Tortex for me, the purple ones.

10. Krigloch the Furious

Krigloch the Furious Pants full of poo

Im using the Tortex 1.35mm sharp. They are excellent
    really a big fan of the sharp. I was using the 60mm so that took a while to get used to the 1.35, but I love it.

11. jeff666

jeff666 New Metal Member

I like the Tortex 1.0 it's solid enough and easier on tremolo picking, and if you drop it you can just play with your index finger (although palm muted triplets will sound a little muddy)

12. Inazone

Inazone UE Guitarist

I can never remember exactly which thickness they are, but I use the bright green Dunlop Tortex picks for six-string guitars (9s) and the charcoal gray Gator Grips for seven-string. I'll use Fender Heavy picks if I don't have Dunlops handy, but they get a little slippery for my tastes.

13. Black Orifice

Black Orifice Vein-Marbled Tower

I don't like how most picks have a slight damper on string resonance so I was using metal picks for a while there. I use Dunlop Ultex picks now, they're very hard and hardly have an effect on your tone. They also don't eat strings like metal picks do.

14. ibanezman93

ibanezman93 New Metal Member

I use the nylon "XL Series" Jazz IIIs. I only wish they came in carbon fiber like the standard sized Jazz IIIs.