This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

When getting sick of your usual stuff, what do you record? (post your clips)

Discussion in 'Practice Room' started by ahjteam, Apr 29, 2009.

1. ahjteam

ahjteam Anssi Tenhunen

I just got fed up after mixing my university-projectband's single A-side track for weeks. I have used huge amount of time mainly because I am trying to learn to mix so that it sounds like fucking good and shit, not because I am slow. I've used over 100 hours on mixing that song, for example I re-mixed just the drums 8 or 9 times. The song is already on myspace, so my work on that is over, check out how corny it is :heh:

The project is called "The Stereo Addict" and is this kinda heavily influeced by 1980s tongue-in-the-cheek glam metal with Mötley Crüe esquee-artistnames (Jimmy Fugalot, Jack Danielson, Cocksman Jones and Andy Phuzzymagnet) and the lyrics are cheesy as shit! And check out our promopicture below, we even have midgets on it! :lol: I am the big guy on the right and I played the drums.

[​IMG]

So just to get that song out of my head I recorded some bluesrock with a bit of a palm muted twist :headbang: The guitars are my Ibanez Artcore into TS9 into EQ and Studio Devil BVC.

http://www.ahjteam.com/upload/sininenraketti.mp3

But how about you? When you get tired of writing heavy metal (or whatever you usually do), what do you record to let off some steam?

2. lolzgreg

lolzgreg Cereal Shipping Sneapster

I play a lot of different kinds of music I suppose. It really matters on your taste. I've also had the opportunity to record several types of bands: Punk, Folk/Indie, Prog Rock, Death Metal and Alternative. I also do some acoustic stuff of my own and write whatever comes to mind. I suppose you just need to try new things. It should be natural, just enjoy it and you're on the right path.

3. Skinny Viking

Skinny Viking ¯\(°_o)/¯ How do Lydian?

ambient, sorta orchestral music with slow funk drum & bass grooves

no clip on me here at work but maybe I'll post one later from home

4. Cryo114

Cryo114 Member

Phase Transitions and Tipping Points

Every now and then I try to write with no genre "goal" if you like, weird shit happens, generally ending up being a mix of all sorts of things. But lots of fun, and I think this one sounds it.

Looking forward to hearing that!

5. GarethSE

GarethSE New Metal Member

i try to make trip-hop and fail miserably, and it was always funtimes recording my funk/sludge/drone/ambient/jazz/whatever band. horrible recordings from a horrible college studio but oodles of fun none the less.

6. Stillborn

Stillborn Scaly Manfish

Here's a couple of song I did with my girlfriend at the time... She was a very talented singer... I guess she still is, but things didn't work out. I guess it's pop ? Trip hop ? I don't know... (Lyrics don't make any sense though)
    Before getting into recording, I used to be a composer, the only thing that people outside France may have actually heard from me (and it's a long shot) is the intro theme to Freak Kitchen's bonus DVD that was sold with Organic.

7. ahjteam

ahjteam Anssi Tenhunen

That sounded actually pretty cool, I dug that.

edit: same with stillborn's clip, it was posted barely before I hit "post"

8. Skinny Viking

yeah you guys definitely have some pretty cool shit going on ... I'm diggin it all

9. Skinny Viking

ok I have NO idea how this will sound. This is the only one I can find on my pc, I guess I burned the others to a disc that I just don't feel like digging for at the moment but for those that were interested here ya go ...

this one is called "Dreamcatcher". It was my little therapy experiment with getting my head cleared of a bad mix. Funny how the damn tune still makes me smile :)

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/594184/Dreamcatcher2.mp3

10. Jarkko Mattheiszen

Jarkko Mattheiszen The FU guy.

I have done versions of old Finnish folk songs with just sampled farts and belches. Didn't remember doing them, though.

11. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Hahahahahahahahhahahahah, oh man would I love to hear those :lol:

12. Moonlight_Seeker

Me loves midgets in band pics. :saint:

When I am really tired of mixing stuff it is usually because of the human part of things so I once composed some "disco black metal" songs, or "discOre" and it's 100% non-human played. The sounds sucks a lot though, I tried to put 1 metal drum + 1 techno drum and instead of toms I put djembes. :p The result is very medium, I will re-do them with nifty samples in the future. And the mic is my sister's camcorder in which I whispered and it created some kind of distortion and then I inserted many weird things in it. And the guitar is a minimoog plugin + a clean guitar vst with distortion, before I knew about Wagner and LePou and impulses.... enjoy if you can. :p

www.myspace.com/primaevalhex

13. jauernis

jauernis Member

Wow good stuff!!

14. Stillborn

Stillborn Scaly Manfish

Well, thank you :)
    Found another song, a bit older, but I uploaded it anyway... Aaaah... Memories...

15. ahjteam

ahjteam Anssi Tenhunen

I just tried out some new free plugins (Native Instruments Kore Player, dblue Glitch and some delay plugins) and made this triphop'ish tune: http://www.ahjteam.com/upload/kore.mp3

I used only free plugins + the plugins included with cubase, all the source sounds are from the Kore player

16. DominikJW

DominikJW aka utarefson

17. MetalMiller

MetalMiller ¯\(°_o)/¯

Ok, when i have plenty of time i deal with some kind of cinematic hans zimmer dont know what stuff. (by the way i´m no nightwish fan, but it could be bit sounding like it it:)). Some kind of the rock (movie) riffs. I have made non guitar tracks too, but this is one i´m a little bit proud of. All done with edirol hq orchestral, ezdrummer and ampsims.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/929252/Orchestral 1.4 (M).mp3

18. trym^^

trym^^ Member

19. Soundlurker

Soundlurker Member

+1
    Great songs!