This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Which EMG single coil do you recommend for the middle position?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Rex Rocker, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Rex Rocker

Rex Rocker Call me Hugo!

Guitar is an Ibanez S (ZR trem, mahog body, bolt-on maple neck).

It's go an 81 in the bridge (for now) and a 60 in the neck. I want the guitar to have a great clean tone in position 4 in combination with the 60.

So... S? SA? SLV? Could you describe them if you have any experience with them?

Thanks.

2. Erik Monsonis

Erik Monsonis Member

The SA is my favourite EMG single coil. I have it on all my guitars, including and old Ibanez SA Series.

Can't say anything about the others, never even heard of the SLV for example.

3. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

S is more bell-like and chimey, SA is a bit more scooped and round (in a good way), and the SLV is like an SA with more output and a tighter bottom.

Since it's the middle position, you don't need ultra tight low end - I'd go with SLV to match the output of the humbuckers better, but an SA would also do just fine.

4. Rex Rocker

Rex Rocker Call me Hugo!

Thanks for the replies! I like the idea of the higher output of the SLV, but "more bell-like and chimey" of the S sounds like something I'd dig too. I liked the single coil mode on the EMG 81TW quite a bit, so I'd imagine the S would be the close to that?

Do the SA and SLV have less bottom end than the 81 and 60? I assume they would, right?