This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Wait For You...

...you know you cannot hide. Join the forum today!

Who has seen The Revenant?

Discussion in 'Nevermore' started by Sentient 6, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Sentient 6

Sentient 6 harmless parasite

Jesus fuckballs what a freaking intense movie, sometimes very hard to watch but an amazingly well made film. DiCaprio is finally going to get his Oscar and he deserves it.

DreamNeonBlack likes this.
  2. Talking Backwards

Talking Backwards Senior Citizen

I've seen it. It was a good film, although I wouldn't say it's my favorite film that he's been in. I also don't like how they released it in a limited release in December soley to allow it to be Oscar bait, then finally give it a larger release in January to actually make money. He's deserved an Oscar long before this though, so whatever. I doubt it will change things much for him though, since he's been a pretty high profile actor, and in demand for ages.

3. Talking Backwards

Well, shit. It was just the Golden Globe that he had won. I swore they mentioned him finally winning his "Oscar" all over TV, and that I also read it somewhere, but the award show isn't even until the end of February. Still kind of a big deal for him though I guess, since it was his first. Somehow Lady Gaga won one for best supporting actress with American Horror Story, which is fucking laughable. This season was total shit, and she didn't "act" as much as stand around in outlandish clothes.

Mr. Robot
    won one for best TV drama too. Not sure how many of you have seen it, but it took everyone by surprise over the summer, especially because it was on USA of all channels, and they normally have nothing interesting to watch.

The show is kind of like a mix of Fight Club and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (although the original trilogy, not the Fincher remake).

#3 Talking Backwards, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  4. rebirth

rebirth spacestation '76film

It's one of those to watch over summer here...if you like utu world.

Check out maze runner films that's where it all begins for one prize!!!

5. rebirth

rebirth spacestation '76film

Great trailer..
    But I am enjoying ash vs evil series.

I am I demented!

6. Talking Backwards

Yeah, they did a surprisingly good job on Ash vs Evil Dead.

7. Traxan

Traxan Member

12 Oscar nominations. Looks like Leo is finally gonna win.

8. Talking Backwards

The movie has 12 nominations, but there were a few other films that were nominated (and I think won in a few categories) that he was in, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything. All of those nominations are for different categories anyway.

It's almost like this year he's going to get one as a consolation prize for all of the other times he was nominated and lost. The Academy Awards are funny like that too. You can have an actor that is consistently better than pretty much everyone else they are put up against, but they just so happen to get nominated during a year where other actors are considered to have given a slightly better performance, even if they are usually simply good, but not great. Much of that comes down to screenplays and directing more than the actor too. Oh, and the movie has to be super serious and either a documentary or drama.

This year, Leonardo doesn't actually have much in the way of steep competition. Although it's going to be funny if he loses out to some stupid indie art film that only twenty people have seen.

Johnny Depp hasn't won one yet either, and I think he's just as deserving, even if he did end up slumming for a while. The guy can do pretty much anything, even though it usually comes with a quirky bent.

edit: Also, just realized Matt Damon was nominated as well. I actually wouldn't mind him winning either. He's always just been the "bigger" brother of Leonardo to me anyway. They are both great.

#8 Talking Backwards, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  9. Traxan

Traxan Member

Well look at Scorsese. Denied so many times for some of the greatest movies ever made and he got one for The Aviator, which was nowhere near Raging Bull or GoodFellas, as a consolation prize. Really kills the value of the Oscars when they do that.

10. Talking Backwards

If he wins this year, it will just show how totally RANDOM the Academy Awards are. As good of a movie as The Revenant might be, it wasn't his best film.

11. Sentient 6

Yeah but it's still really fucking good. Have you seen the joke video where the bear wins the Oscar instead of Leo? Hysterical!

12. Carabeu

Carabeu ct_thrash

I was about a third of the way through it before work called me away yesterday. Now I'm just kinda hangin' until I can go back to the theater and try again. Definitely want to finish it.

13. Talking Backwards

No, but I saw Jonah Hill giving out an award with a bear mask/hat on.

14. Pitiless Wanderer

Pitiless Wanderer Active Member

Saw it, liked it. I think Tom Hardy did a better job than Leo though, taking nothing away from him...

Tom Hardy is unstoppable.

15. DreamNeonBlack

Haven't seen it yet. On my list, probably this weekend. Hope it is as good as they say.

16. Shpongled

Shpongled Member

Saw it this weekend. Fucking dark. Some really heavy duty scenes in there. It's worth watching if you can stand the violence and some scenes that will make you uncomfortable.

Remember that movie "The Grey" with Liam Neesen that was supposed to be an epic outdoor survival movie that turned out ultra lame and stupid? The Revenant is what that movie should have been.

17. lorinc

lorinc Member

So he finally got it...

18. Sentient 6

Chris Rock was really funny and Lady Gaga was robbed when she didn't win best song

19. Traxan

Traxan Member

The director of The Revenant just made history. First director to win back to back Oscars. He won for "Birdman" last year.

20. Talking Backwards

History?

Oh, and now that Leo finally won, about all it's going to get him is the right to ask for a little more money for whatever he does next. It's not like he actually needed it to get work.

I also completely agree with this article, regarding his "acting" in The Revenant. Yes, he should have already won an award by now, and he deserves it many times over. Just not for what he did in this particular movie. Tom Hardy essentially stole every scene that he was in.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/15/heres...caprio-shouldnt-win-for-the-revenant-5625259/

#20 Talking Backwards, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016