This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Just a heads up... In the next week or two we will be making some major upgrades to the site to bring the software and server fully up to date. While the upgrade happens the site will be offline for the day. There will be some quirkiness after the upgrade, but we'll get it all sorted out.
    Dismiss Notice

Who influenced Martin Brandstrom? - topic for advices and listening suggestions

Discussion in 'Dark Tranquillity' started by Connacht, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Connacht

Connacht O' scugnizzo scarrafone

I saw in another forum this thread (but unfortunately no one replied): electronic artists that influenced Martin's style and compositions, especially on Haven (or almost similar composers), and a list of good albums that one should listen to if he likes that sub-genre and wants to improve his knowledge about it. Possibly not quoting only "Depeche Mode".

So, start with your advices! :) and maybe Martin could directly tell us some good albums, if we don't bother him. ;)

2. Siren

Siren Active Member

Interesting thread, but i have no answer, this is something Martin should reply himself. :)

3. GONE Ridin' Hood

GONE Ridin' Hood Professor.

This is the most interesting thread I've seen here in a long time, congrats *claps* :headbang:.

Hmmmm VNV Nation :p ?

4. DisplayofCharacter

DisplayofCharacter Are You Scared Enough?

Depeche Mode

......kekekeke

Really, I would look at any of the really good synth bands of the eighties. Yes, maybe?

5. rahvin

rahvin keeper of the flame

6. Connacht

Wikipedia says that they released their first album in 2004, so Martin should be the one who influenced them, I asked for ones that influenced Martin... ;)

VNV Nation: I heard a lot of good opinions about them and so I am collecting their discography, really interesting. :)

7. rahvin

I don't see why. It's not as if the band was born in 2004, or if they didn't know each other from before then, or if Martin is beyond being influenced by other musical experiences after 2004, or if the idea for the synth part in Wonders at Your Feet didn't come from Martin's proximity with the main guy in Universal Poplab in the first place...

VNV Nation are a much worse guess, FYI, considering Niklas got introduced to their records for the first time a few months after I did, which means they probably hadn't been mentioned before by other band members in a DT-related context.

Of course, plenty of other bands are influenced by VNV Nation nowadays, for better or - mostly - for worse.

8. GONE Ridin' Hood

I know, VNV nation is probably the worst guess ever, I was trying to bother you rahvin :p.

9. rahvin

I played right into your evil mastermind's plot, LBRH. You're just too clever for this forum, if you ask me.

10. Makaan

Makaan Member

11. Connacht

In fact the band was formed in 2002.

Hmmm, it doesn't mean much imho, but if you directly said "the synth part in WaYF didn't come from Martin's proximity" I might suspect that it could really come frome somebody (I don't know, but I think that maybe you said that because Martin in an interview said something like "I got the influence for synth part in this song from a friend of mine", if I don't misunderstand you ;)).

The only album DT wrote after 2004 is Fiction (Character was recorded in 2004), three albums still remain... and the basic influences of Martin should come before 2000 (obviously then he "improved/upgraded/expanded" them). Haven has also a lot of more electronics than DD, Character and Fiction (and keyboards in Haven also have a larger role in songwriting), so it's the main album when we speak about electronics/keyboards/synth/etc in DT.

12. Delirious

Delirious ensammast i sverige.

it's in the haven booklet: "creative assistance on the keyboards on track 1 by christer lundberg". universal poplab's vocalist, that is.

13. rahvin

@Connacht: I see what you mean now. Well, as for older bands who contributed to form Martin's style I think good guesses could in fact be Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, and Sisters of Mercy.

14. GONE Ridin' Hood

Thanks I know :).

I guess that settles it huh?

Hmm yeah Pet Shop Boys might be a good guess... . I mean, who wouldn't want to be influenced by them anyway? :p

15. Connacht

Always them. :D :D

Ooook for PSB.
    However, I knew that Sisters Of Mercy were a goth rock band, but if at a certain point of their career they added keys and synths I will surely get something, in example Floodland seems very interesting.

(unfortunately I'm a lot ignorant about them)

16. rahvin

The piano parts are quite pervasive. Not exactly in the snyths department, but the kind of sound/mood you get inspired a lot of electronic acts (I guess almost as many as it did gothic metal bands).

17. Delirious

Delirious ensammast i sverige.

there's also the album gift by the sisterhood, a band formed by (tsom main guy) andrew eldritch when sisters broke up for a few years in the 80s. not particularly great in my opinion but slightly more electronic, so if that's what you're after you might want to check it out.

18. Violens

Violens Member

Wall Of Voodoo?

19. brownden

brownden Member

Duran Duran

20. rahvin

Joy Division.

(I'm gonna win this, brownden!)