This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Why is it that everyone hates In Flames so much?

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by Thraxz, Oct 10, 2004.

1. stefan86

stefan86 invariably off-topic

I seriously dont see whats wrong with Dark Tranquillity really, not even their more electronic sounding albums are that bad. Of course Haven and Damage Done are pretty generic, but at least they aren't cheesy and numetalish like In Flames.

2. Toby

Toby Cheesegrater Of Chastity

Nailbomb, you are such a gay

3. ~Nailbomb~

~Nailbomb~ Member

Yes, I'm actually quite happy thank you.

4. ~Nailbomb~

~Nailbomb~ Member

So, he's a student at a British public school who is required to perform menial tasks for a student in a higher class now is he? :err:

Seriously, why do people even try to insult each other when they don't even know what the "insults" they are using actually mean.

5. polarity

polarity New Metal Member

yes because meanings of words can't ever change oh my you genius :)

6. ~Nailbomb~

~Nailbomb~ Member

There's a difference between words changing and the english language being butchered by idiots.

7. ~Nailbomb~

~Nailbomb~ Member

I wouldn't be suprised by the amount of intelligence I've seen here.

By the way, that's not it's only definition.

"A foolish or stupid person" is another, which isn't a butchered version of the word like "fag" and "gay" is used nowadays to mean an insult.

8. ~Nailbomb~

~Nailbomb~ Member

Oh I'm sorry, can you not think of a good enough reply so you think large red flashing letters spelling "get out" then changing to "you faggot" are going to work? :err:

9. polarity

Sorry man, but using a word for purpose undocumented by dictionaries isn't "butchering the English language." How do you think alternate definitions end up in the dictionary initially? Idiot.

10. ~Nailbomb~

~Nailbomb~ Member

Because so many people use the butchered word till people accept it as a norm, so I guess it could be considered a legit word, though initially it actually had meaning compared to the insult these words have become nowadays.

11. polarity

If a word is considered an insult, it evidently carries some meaning, if not one that is easily definable. So many words have had multiple meanings applied to them by what you call "butchering" that it's ridiculous to complain about it.

12. Life Sucks

Life Sucks and then you die

I dunno. Kind of like Metallica, IF's new stuff sucks so much that it makes everyone hate the band in general. Also, it seems like it has become trendy to hate Gothenburg, which is kind of dumb. Admittedly, a lot of newer Gothenburg stuff is crap, but overall I enjoy the genre. In fact, I like the Gothenburg genre better in general than I like power metal.

13. J.

J. Old Fart

I never listen to any of these bands anymore. Too much better stuff out there.

14. Episteme

Episteme Member

I dunno...They seem like a novelty band to me. I like pre-Clayman albums and even Clayman was tolerable to some extent but they have no lasting value.

15. MFJ

MFJ Active Member

Lunar Strain and The Jester Race are in my top 10 albums of all time... supreme pieces of musical art. As for any other In Flames albums... I don't really mind them, but I choose not to listen to them. Besides Colony, the rest pretty much bore me.

And in a general sense- Dark Tranquillity > In Flames.

DT have never put out a bad release, which I think is impressive. One of the strongest bands in existence.

Something interesting I just noticed is how In Flames and Dark Tranquillity have been COMPLETELY parallel in their years of being bands (in releases).

Skydancer / Lunar Strain
    Of Chaos and Eternal Nights (Ep) / Subterranean (Ep)
    The Gallery / The Jester Race
    Enter Suicidal Angels (Ep) / Black Ash Inheritance (Ep)
    The Mind's I / Whoracle
    Projector / Colony
    Haven / Clayman
    Damage Done / Reroute to Remain
    New Album / Soundtrack to Your Escape

16. MasterOLightning

MasterOLightning Optimator

Also, In Flames is a good newbie band. IF was one of the first if not the first "more extreme" bands that a lot of people heard, myself included. When the n00bs come in here and say that In Flames, Korn, and Disturbed are their favorite metal bands, I think a lot of people will shy away from saying that they like In Flames. People move on to other bands over time, and tend to forget about the ones they used to like a lot more. In Flames also falls into that category.

17. EternalMetal

EternalMetal Active Member

People hate In Flames because it is becoming another one of those poseur bands like slipknot, marilyn manson, korn, and shit like that. But i dont see that as a real reason to hate a band, especially if they have released "good metal" before.

thats exactly how this forum is run. I will probably get flamed for liking new In Flames, which seems really uncool nowadays. I like their old stuff a little more, but i still like the new stuff.

Dark Tranquility is a little better than In Flames, but sometimes i want to listen to In Flames over some Dark Tranquility.

18. Alex78

Alex78 Fretbuzz Virtuoso

lolz

19. Stand-Ablaze

Stand-Ablaze Danger - Keep Away

In Flames have gave out some of the best albums I've ever heard, or in metal in general. My opinion ofcourse.

I also loved Reroute to Remain, I really enjoyed it, but I can't really get into Soundtrack, it's decent but it doesn't even FEEL like In Flames anymore.

Still a top band in my opinion.

20. Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre Son of The Bitch

While not reading any other post in this thread, I can honestly say that everything this band ever released is worthless feces. There may be A FEW good moments in songs like "Artifacts Of The Black Rain", "Behind Space", "Dead Eternity", and "In Flames" (this is after being through their entire catalogue numerous times), but it's not worth sifting through ENDLESS SHIT for a few good moments.

And no, I don't hate them because it's "trendy to call them a poseur band", obviously.

EDIT: After reading through the posts here, I have to say that I'm astounded that some people actually have the gall to compare their early work to numerous Metal classics. What the fuck, Batman? And yes, they're a good newbie band if you want to your "newbie friend" to listen to bands like Dark Tranquillity, Kalmah, At The Gates, and other musical expressions of severe penile lust. :rolleyes: