This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

World debut of Amaranthe's brand-new video for Amaranthine

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by miel, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Regor

Regor Regor:1 Cancer:0

Delain had 2 albums, FWIW

I like it. Who cares if its pop music disguised as metal. If today's pop was more focused on low-tuned guitars and kick drums, instead of keyboards and auto-tune, the world would be a much better place :Spin:

As for the band itself, it looks like they're following the 80s formula for releasing singles: 1st song - Rocking, 2nd song - Ballad :loco:

2. Regor

Unfortunately, I didn't start coming to PP until after this had happened, but from my understanding, it was 1/2 full only because Evergrey did a impromptu signing session outside? Otherwise, I would expect that Rage would have had a much bigger crowd... and I hope one day they will prove me right :D

3. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

The thing to note is that once the fans got their stuff signed, they still didn't return to watch the rest of the set. It stayed empty as the set went on instead of filling back up. That line moved quickly so time was not a factor so much.

4. Regor

Wow, really?! Those people don't know what they were missing out on! Sadly, I do :( Easily my biggest regret regarding PP, was that I didn't start coming until 6. I woulda killed to see Rage, especially with that lineup! :(

5. Prog_Please

Prog_Please Member

I know there are harsh vocals in this song, but I can't see for the life of me why people classify this with a "death" tag added somewhere in their genre naming scheme. Cuz then you gotta go and say its "Pop Death" or something. Anyways, I liked the song. Props for not "radio editing" out the harsh vox like some of the other bands in this genre.

6. Diab0lique

Diab0lique Nickels is money too

I am stoked to see Amaranthe, as I was to see Delain, bring it!

7. AMBR

AMBR Metal Grandma

Me too. :cool: And that's all I have to add to this conversation.

8. Palabra de Dios

Palabra de Dios Heavy Metal Weatherman

Mispelling of my username aside, I understand and apologize. Even if I recognized the inherent dickishness in my comments about Amaranthe's singer, I was disrespectful to her in a way that I usually am not. She is a lovely woman and I do apologize. Not as funny as I intended...

9. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

Heh. I knew I was going to get a lot of shit for my post.

Has anyone really got a bad reaction? Well, other than people not staying in the room. Festival goers here are generally supportive, which makes for a great festival.

So, I'm an asshole for expressing my opinion? I'll have to remember that.

Look man, I'm not always going to agree with you. It doesn't mean I won't support you. But, support isn't blind support. Personally, I'm really on the fence about next year, partially due to other potential commitments.

I get that. I know why they are here. It doesn't mean I have to like that reason.

Obviously they weren't, which is why they are no more. I just wanted more than just a 45 minute set for a band that had three albums worth of material and one of my early faves in prog metal. I'm just trying to get at the heart of why this bothers me.

It has less to do with the band and more to do with the "hotness" factor of the band, which seems to be bumping them up the lineup a bit. I just would like to see someone at that position that has a little more of a track record and seasoning, that's all.

Personally, I think they are OK. There is a certain amount of sameness to their songs and a pop slickness to their production. I don't think it was worth the $16 that I paid for it, but I'll probably keep it.

Yes, but they didn't really catch fire until they settled on Charlotte Wessels as their lead singer for the 2nd album. So, my example still stands.

Yeah, the lack of a crowd for Rage was disappointing. That being said, it took me a while to like Rage and I can't say at the point of the show that I was a fan.

10. sh0kr0k

sh0kr0k Active Member

Why did we have to bring Rage into this :erk: That still hurts.

Palabra, for the record, your comment about the skimpy outfit made me lol. It's a good thing I know how charming you are in person otherwise I might not have gotten what you were saying. I think I'm the only one who wasn't offended by that. Is that bad?

11. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Member

After seeing some of these comments, I was literally also going to ask if it was act douchy for free day or what. Guys, cain't we all juss get alongs??:) Dominick gets pelted with tomatoes.

12. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Nope. You were an asshole by the way you expressed your opinion. There is a HUGE difference.

It's one thing to say I think that band sucks, has no talent, and I just hate them. I have zero problem with that because it is an opinion. It's another to go down the "It's his festival, but.." That goes way the fuck beyond not liking a specific band. If you are going to down that road, then expect me to call you out on it. I don't remember posting, "Well Longshot is fan, but I really question why he bothers..."

And no, I could give two feathers plucked off a one-legged duck's ass about "blind support." That card gets played on every forum when either I or any one else defends me. All I ask for is respect in how I run the festival in my own forum, and that includes the selection process from a business perspective.

13. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Ooops.

I actually understood there was not true ill intent on your part. I just have to remind folks from time to time that the bands that perform at the festival actively read this forum. It's one of the reasons they feel comfortable socializing at the show.

14. Palabra de Dios

But my Arcturus shirt was funny, right?

15. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Absolutely!

16. mattbrood

mattbrood PPUSA Facebook *****

Personally, I LOVE Delain and Amaranthe for the vocals and music, but comparing them because they both have beautiful female vocalists is insulting, it's apples and oranges! Delain were the absolute highlight last year for me other than Kamelot. I suspect Amaranthe will be 2012's early slot band to bring the house down, just like Voyager this year and Seventh Wonder last year!

17. MartinW

MartinW Member

I've seen them twice. Amaranthe is a fantastic live band with lots of stage presence. The kind of band you can enjoy live even if you don't care for their studio material. Nobody will be disappointed by them.

18. Akumu

Akumu Look at the tree.

I don't get why their position is so surprising? People have been hyping them since their "Leave Everything Behind" demo in 2009. In addition to high chart positions, they're getting radio play in Sweden now, and they just announced that their "Hunger" video hit over 1 million views. They're a solid live band, and I look forward to seeing them again.

Also, hasn't something like this happened before, with people being skeptical in regards to Creation's End/Circus Maximus being booked despite not having albums out at the time? Idk.

19. Palabra de Dios

20. Berek2000

Berek2000 Member

And this one of the reasons why I am glad I stayed for the Therion set. I had heard a few of there songs and did not see the big deal. But after watching them live, I am hooked. Great band and great stage show. Top rate class act.