This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Worst Crowd Reaction you've witnessed

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by SwordLord, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

RUSH had a lot of interesting openers.
    PRIMUS opened for them a couple times.

You think that is odd?

When QUEENSRYCHE broke into arena headlining status with EMPIRE, they had SUICIDAL TENDENCIES opening.

2. eppst1

eppst1 Member

I saw Overkill on their either Years of Decay or Horrorscope tour when they had Blitzspeer open for them. At the show in Pittsburgh there was absolutely *zero* crowd reaction when Blitzspeer stopped playing a song. None. Nothing. Not a clap, not a whistle, not a boo. Complete and total silence - it was very awkward and the band was pissed when they were done. I think they played maybe 4 or 5 songs and left. That got a reaction. I've never experienced anything like that since.

3. Purveyor Of Evil

Purveyor Of Evil Heavy Metal, INC.

I saw this same tour at the Allentown Fairgrounds in PA. and it was the same result. THE CULT took a beating which was too bad because I loved them back then.

4. Dolamite S. Biffle

Dolamite S. Biffle Biffliest Person Ever

Dude you have no idea how disappointed I was when that happened. I remember seeing them several times a month playing local tiny venues and coffee shops. I have friends that went to high school with them and I have recently became friends with Zach and Brandon. The are now doing a band called The Architects.

5. jem777az

jem777az Bozzman

Haha! I was at that show too.

6. Pellaz

Pellaz Tigron of Immanion

Yep, and I think we all know who that diminutive heckler was. :)

Why? Their reaction wasn't negative, just relatively small...in large part because Evergrey -- at the time, PPUSA's de-facto house-band -- had to do their autographing during Rage's set due to tight scheduling.

Now, now, I'm sure Sir Russell Allen was paid more than $9 when he worked there, silly!

Rush audiences can be tough ones. I wasn't there, but I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall when the Melvins opened for Rush in California. Reportedly, THAT negative crowd reaction was the stuff of legend.

----

I haven't personally seen tooo many really BAD audience reactions, although I'll never forget when James "Spike" Marsters' band Ghost of the Robot played at Dragon*Con. They were dreadful. But, there were a lot of female fans there who really wanted to see "Spike from Buffy" perform...for at least a little while.
    After two songs, we had to call on convention security to control the flow OUT of the 2,500-capacity ballroom. I was standing outside and not hiding my blue convention directors' ribbon well enough, when some people walked up to me, thinking I was in charge. "Please! Make them stop! This is terrible!"
    All I could do was shrug. :lol:
    Some hardy fans of the following band* managed to gut it out and stayed in the front row for that whole mind-numbingly awful set. In sympathy, the headliner's frontman gave each of 'em a free CD of their choice. :)

----
    * The Cruxshadows

7. AeonicSlumber

That's cause it's Russel. They probably gave him an extra 2 bucks so that nobody else would have to sing happy birthday to diners on their birthdays!!!!

rofl jk, that's so horrible. :(

8. drmetal8

drmetal8 Graphic Design

I saw Stone Temple Pilots open for Megadeth in the early '90s. That pairing should never have happened.
    STP is the only band I have ever booed! Hahahaha!

9. Diabolik

Diabolik Member

hahahaha, his band is playing Wizard World Chicago this year. Playing conventions must be the only way for him to get shows.

10. J-Dubya 777

J-Dubya 777 It NEVER ends

Point Blank opening for Triumph at the Aragon in Chicago, don't remember the year, but it was the Allied Forces Tour, if I rember right....81-82?

Nothing violent, just a REALLY bad reaction to Point Blank.

11. Akumu

Akumu Look at the tree.

Wow, that's disgusting. :|

12. Perditions Ghost

I was wondering if this was going to be brought up. Oh, god, that show. And it wasn't just the group around you. It was a large portion of the floor.

[​IMG]

13. Akumu

Akumu Look at the tree.

I didn't attend that Amon Amarth show, but oh god, that reaction's become legendary. I can't hate on Sonic Syndicate too much, though, despite their music being terrible now - when Nightwish canceled their show here a few years back, they actually played for free for people who turned up. I didn't go (because I had read that the whole show was canceled...), but I thought that was incredibly cool of them.

14. Pellaz

Pellaz Tigron of Immanion

Whew, I guess they didn't get the memo. :)

He's attending D*C as a guest this year (he's there frequently), but -- thankfully -- I have heard no rumors of a 'comeback' performance. *shiver*

15. Fury of Polaris

Hahaha, oh wow. I thought I remembered it being bad, but that picture sparks my memory and now I remember just how awful it was! It think I can see my buddy to the far right of that picture. I'll have to save it, zoom, and see if I can spot myself somewhere in there.

16. Claus / Intromental

Claus / Intromental 20 years of uniting the powers of metal

METHODS OF MAYHEM at "Gods Of Metal Festival", Milan, Italy - 2000

Tommy Lee's ill-fated rap metal band participating in a heavy metal festival. The band entered the stage in front of 25.000 metal heads, and within the first 10 seconds of the first song 25.000 waterbottles were in the air headed for the stage - BAMM!!!! The green haired albino rapper stopped and yelled something to the audience, then started playing again ... another 25.000 waterbottles were thrown - SMACK!!!! The band stopped playing, yelled a ton of cuss-words at the audience and started for a third time playing. Guess what happened ... yup, waterbottles ... The band left stage - one of the officials came out and tried to calm down the audience, Tommy Lee came out to talk to the audience and ... SLAM!!!! More waterbottles.

Needless to say that METHODS TO MAYHEM left at that point in time, only to go backstage and wreck their dressing room completely.

Well, an hour later SLIPKNOT took the stage, and once again the air was full of waterbottles ... However, Slipknot didn't seem to mind, as they continued on, and one of their clowns actually took the waterbottles as a sign of the audience wanting to fight him, so he jumped in and had himself a nice little fistfight or two *hmmm*

What an otherwise fantastic festival - check out the line-up!!!

Day 1:
    Iron Maiden
    Demons and Wizards
    Dark Tranquillity
    Sentenced
    Edguy
    Domine
    Dirty Deeds
    Khali
    Theatres Des Vampires

Day 2:
    Slayer
    Slipknot
    Methods of Mayhem
    Testament
    In Flames
    The Kovenant
    Death SS
    Necrodeath

17. DuchessOfDork

DuchessOfDork Member

Wow, that's an amazing lineup! o_o That Tommy Lee story is probably the base for Metalocalypse's rap-rock parody, "Get Thee Hence". Except in that episode, Get Thee Hence was murdered by metal fans. :3

18. AMBR

AMBR Metal Grandma

Sonata Arctica opening for Overkill in NYC April of 2005. A bad mix. The first part of SA's set the crowd was really into them. Then the Overkill crowd started to filter in and heckle the band. The SA fans were righteously pissed. There were several scuffles and I was afraid they were going to have to clear B. B. Kings. After SA's set, their fans mostly left. Another clear case of you can't just throw bands together on the bill just cause they're all "metal."

19. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

I remember that. I was one of the SA fans who left early...stupid Overkill fans..

One thing in particular that stuck with me that night was one of the booths filled with old-school Overkill fans and their wives. This one particular lady who looked like she had 15 facelifts and her face literally couldn't move. I still get nightmares...

20. AMBR

AMBR Metal Grandma

Oh yea, I remember her. Hideous. :zombie: I left early too.