This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Would you let bad production get in the way of an otherwise good album?

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by The Butt, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Tyrants and Slaves

I'm listening to Lunar Poetry right now and it's the perfect production for symphonic black metal. The keyboards and guitars are equally perceivable, which is important because they both play the lead roles in harmony with each other. The drums are the perfect volume, and the vocals are produced so as to add to the atmosphere.

2. Thoth-Amon

Thoth-Amon Hypochondriac

The re-issue cleaned up some of the production products that the original release had. There are still some production "blips" on the first track and I think the leads needed to be clearer in the mix but otherwise it sounds great.

3. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Tyrants and Slaves

I think it's fine the way it is, so that you are more focused on the leads, which helps you become better absorbed into the music. That and the relative softness of the guitars helps the all-important atmosphere.

4. ohiogrinder

ohiogrinder New Metal Member

Flotsam and Jetsam wasn't even that great of a band to begin with.

5. OldScratch

OldScratch Member

I've been listening to Metal for over twenty-five years and I will NEVER understand the allure of the consciously(ie. intentionally) "lo-fi" production anymore than I will the hyper-clean, sterile "Disney metal" clickety-clack productions, to partially borrow a phrase from an earlier post.
    I can still remember ecstatically listening to "Welcome To Hell"(on vinyl of course)on a super-cheap, Sears & Roebuck stand-alone record player in like 1982, and that STILL sounded better than half the Black Metal churned out in recent years. What the Hell does "lo-fi" add to the music? That isn't what it sounds like when it is actually played live!

To my ear, Metal has always been about power expressed musically - weak, thin, muffled or tinny productions drain all the power from the music. What is left is a glorified hiss, with percussive thumps here and there and lots of cymbal noise, perhaps.

I still love the production of very early Sodom, Venom, Bathory, Destruction, even Motorhead, etc. it is all still powerful, if rough here and there - but that was all they had to work with and it is still fully intelligible music. Too much of the "lo-fi" just does nothing for me...which sucks as I have loved BM since Quarthon was sporting chicken-bones and big hair!!

Oh well, to each his own...

6. skeptik

skeptik Member

Mmm...authority.

7. OldScratch

OldScratch Member

No just perspective...

8. The Butt

The Butt Unholy gas, flares from my ass

It adds atmosphere to the songs. Besides, most BM bands don't play live anyway.

9. Life Sucks

Life Sucks and then you die

Piss poor "necro" production only really fits with raw, minimalistic black metal. Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger and Moonblood - Blut und Krieg are good examples. It doesn't fit with symphonic black metal, or the kind of black metal Immortal played.

10. OldScratch

OldScratch Member

I should have been clearer - I like plenty of BM that is what I would deem raw in many ways...say Sargeist for instance. But that is still altogether "listenable" from a musical standpoint. It's just the REALLY "necro" stuff, where the drums are barely audible(if at all), no bottom, etc., that I cannot abide. If that type of production adds atmosphere, then it is lost on me, and perhaps that's the case.

As for playing live - I didn't necessarily mean playing "live" in the concert-setting sense, as much as simply playing the music to record/rehearse, etc. Then again, with much one-man BM and the like, I guess it doesn't apply there either.

11. Satanstoenail

Satanstoenail My Larpstyle determines my Derpstyle

So should there be no such thing as personal preference? Do you think Metallica/Bob Rock were being 'innovative' with the production on StAnger as well? Should I go listen to that album with an open mind and discover its hidden genius? Your assumption that I'm closed-minded with regards to music appreciation basically reeks of arrogance.

I'm not interested in some half-arsed inferior version.

12. thorhammer

thorhammer Mjolnir

To answer the original question, no.

Well, not yet.

L'Acephale's "Mord Und Totsclag" is a brilliant album of . . . well, I dunno wtf genre it'd be, but it's awesome. My favourite track is "Book of Lies" . . . which, it must be said, has some shitty production. The vocals drown out the riffs - when they're there. Otherwise the riffs come forward, so you end up kind of rocking to it (as in, to and fro like a baby, not rocking out) and it does get distracting. But it's nowhere near bad enough to ruin my enjoyment of what is a wonderful example of inventive metal.

But it's the only album I've heard where the production is noticeable bad in comparison to the music.

\m/ Hammer

13. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ oh noes itz a opinionn

This is a great post that some of you need to read again... & again... & again...

Production is indeed an important part of music & it is what adds a lot of character to so many albums. We might act like it doesn't sometimes, but just imagin ANY album with completely different production.

I enjoy all kinds of production. I wuoldn't want to listen to this raw Kvlt Black Metal prouduction all day any more than I would want to listen to Britney Spears production all day. There is good to be found in all kinds of music & production qualities.

That being said, there are some bands that have such bad production I don't see myself ever being able to get into them. For example I love early Emperor & Burzum, but I could never find anything likable about early Immortal.

14. Blind Guardian

Lighten up for fucks sake,this is a thread about bad production vs good music. That production ruins it for me,thats it.

15. thisisaformicatable

thisisaformicatable New Metal Member

Lamb Of God had already used a similar snare sound to great effect on New American Gospel but it was probably a new approach for their specific style. The production was about the only interesting thing about that album; I found it gave the otherwise bland and occasionally embarrassing material a bit of a kick (too little to late though).

Your attitude on music production is close-minded. Until you demonstrate otherwise, it's a logical conclusion.

Sounds like you are, looking for a "properly remixed" version and all. Stop thinking in terms of value and quality.

16. Seasonreaper

Seasonreaper Nothingness Incarnate...

Depends what it is really, the one band that comes to my mind is Clad In Darkness. The songs I have have rather bad production but I still love them :)

17. Satanstoenail

Satanstoenail My Larpstyle determines my Derpstyle

If I happen to understand the production process and can hear noticeable mistakes, does that automatically make me closed-minded? If I have a personal preference does that make me closed-minded? Are there no albums that you don't like the production on?

I'd like to hear a remixed version minus the production faults I can hear. It would improve the listenability of the album for me. That's it.

18. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ oh noes itz a opinionn

One thing that I don't like mainly on some old Thrash albums is that sometimes the production is too straight forward throughout the album & there's no points where they try to use production to expand on an idea. The drums & guitars just always sound the same. I've been listening to Massacra lately & they brought this to mind the other day. I think it might be the drummers fault though :loco: He seems to not add to the music, but instead is a glorified Thrash metronome.

19. fates warning 666

fates warning 666 New Metal Member

fascinating fact: "bad" production is that which detracts from/contradicts other elements of an album, theres no such thing as bad production in itself

20. thisisaformicatable

thisisaformicatable New Metal Member

This is a mindset to be overcome, until you do so I don't expect you to understand.

"Production" isn't something to be set apart and judged on its own. I look at it as a part interacting with other aspects of the whole. And personal dislike is a long way off from "faults" and "mistakes."