This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wreath is like a fine wine...

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by Draehl, Feb 2, 2008.

1. opeth_353

opeth_353 Member

Wreath is a decent song.. Has some mighty fine riffs in it.. But it's probably my 4th favourite off the album.. Above BTPISIO and For Absent Friends.

2. i aint play this

Nothing to complain about Wreath. Pretty great song, my 2nd fave off Deliverance.

3. Slynt

Slynt Lord and Liar

First time I played the album, "Wreath" kind of blew me away with its immediacy, and it was a sign that things were going to be better after the incredible disappointment that was Blackwater Park.
    The song loses some of its intensity, I think this would have been killer had it been like four minutes shorter, but in the end I love it as it is.

4. BurningSky

BurningSky rxbandits.com

^Incredible disappointment that was blackwater park? wow... I remember thinking just the opposite, though I don't claim to be a master of metal, so I guess that has something to do with it.

5. [KOTNO]Narrot

[KOTNO]Narrot Eats and spits corpses...

wreath is quite boring. i cant see how ppl bash by the pain i see in others yet tend to praise wreath ...

6. Slynt

Slynt Lord and Liar

Check out the Sell me on Blackwater Park thread further down the page :)
    And yes, since I am a metalmaster I am of course correct

7. stefan86

stefan86 invariably off-topic

What I love about Wreath is that its such a disturbingly dark tune. It gives me the chills if i'm in the right mood

8. :Wreath:

:Wreath: poeth/oprth fan

why thank you

9. Sorrell

Sorrell APT Guitarist/vocalist

:headbang::headbang: Wreath is my favorite Opeth song, period! I wish they would play it live. At least, they've never played it while I was watching. But so you know where I'm coming from, I believe Deliverance is the greatest record ever made.

That's me 2 cents worth.

By the way, Hi, I'm Steve.

10. FreddieMercury

FreddieMercury No not the real one...

I gotta admit Wreath was the first song I heard by Opeth. I just blindly bought Deliverance cuz I heard somebody say they were good and after hearing Wreath my response was :OMG:. I ESPECIALLY love the way Wreath ends and Deliverance starts up right after that. Makes me just wanna flip out and drive my car into the opposite lane its so good.

11. Njorgo

Njorgo Karma

Wreath es un temazo!

12. Markitos`s apprentices

este tema vuela, y cuando engancha con deliverance, como dijo el amigo aca reddie eso vuela

13. Brackwatah Palk

Brackwatah Palk New Metal Member

It's a great song for sure. Very good album, but still lacks something the other albums have.
    Listening to GR conveys colors and feelings of sickness and evil.
    Still Life conjures love and despair in my head, and BlackwaterPark surely conveys feelings and colors of bleakness, desolation and loneliness.

For some reason Deliverance gives me no colors or atmosphere. While the other albums really do have an atmosphere throughout the album, Deliverance basically is like sitting in an empty room. Good music, good songwriting, and impressive musicianship, but lacks the feeling and mood of their other work.

That said, the songs on Deliverance are fantastic. And I know solos arent everything, but both Mikes and Peters guitar solos on Wreath have got to be some of their best.

14. jrsh92

jrsh92 Member

Listening to it for the first time now, and I really like the song. Very powerful, though not as dark sounding as people seem to be saying it is-- at least not to me. It also feels a bit repetitive, but later on in the song it starts getting... just amazing. Past 8:30 is unbelievable.
    I don't really know how it could get better over time, it's more or less there already...

EDIT: So, after some more extensive listening to the album as a whole, Deliverance sounds quite confused. Maybe "discombobulated" would be a better word for it. Overall, I love it, but it certainly doesn't have the smooth transitions between the parts of it's epically long songs that, say, Blackwater Park has. The song "Deliverance" starts out with a moderately dissonant guitar part, and seems to have a lot of riffs thrown in there just for the heck of having them, with no lead up or out-- "mellow, mellow melLOUD!mellow... mellow... boring.SOLO metal mellow" etc.
    However, something about the album is pretty awesome. I don't think it's possible for Opeth to make a bad song, but this CD has some of the least structured of them. Was it still worth buying the CD? Hell yes! I'm just saying that Opeth has put out better ones overall. This is probably more due to the "lack of atmosphere" described somewhere in this thread, which is largely due to this lack of structure in the songs that make it sound less "like it was meant to be" and more like someone wrote the songs and they are imperfect in several ways. The fact that this is actually notable is more a testament to Opeth in general than it is than a criticism of the album, though.

15. FreddieMercury

FreddieMercury No not the real one...

well, in a way, I think the "atmosphere" you describe also partly comes from the concepts of the first 2 albums you mentioned Brakwatah. You feel these things because thats what they wanted you to feel. With Deliverance there was no real direction other than "a heavy album". But its funny because your absence of feeling is actually the feeling I get (from Wreath especially). I feel nothingness, emptiness, and viceral anger/despair as I listen to this song. The somewhat repetitiveness makes me feel like theres no way out, no hope, and this just keeps building and building until everything crumbles at the end. Then you just get blown away by the crazy ass intro to Deliverance and all you can do is just sit there and go:zombie:.

But maybe thats just me...

16. in limbow

in limbow wobmil ni

Yeh d00d Wreath killz. Probably liek my 6th favorite song off of Deliverance, actually.

17. DarkGift

DarkGift ov Doom

I think Wreath is one of the creepiest songs Opeth has ever written, also, Mikes growls are imo the most brutal on this record :kickass: It's so cool watching the lamentations documentary when Mike sings the part "bleeding animals in a field of fire", fucking chills! Love Peters guitar solo, probably one of the best Opeth solos ever.

wtf, inglés por favor

18. Black Session

Black Session Heretic Misanthrope

lack of atmosphere?????????? this album has way more atmosphere than Blackwater Park or GR do.
    and there certainly is a general theme behind it, the same one as for Damnation, and which is reflected in the artwork: a haunted feeling, or if you like just simple ghosts ... like I said before: Deliverance and Damnation are like watching a ghost movie from the 1940s or something, really creepy and gives you very eery feelings.
    so for you to say that there is no atmosphere ... that's just because you don't get it.
    but I only really got into the album after putting it on in the background a couple of hours, while studying at night.

edit: and also, some of the best drumming Lopez did, amazing solos, and really dark sounding guitars ... how can you have lack of atmosphere then? have you listened to A Fair Judgement? doesn't sound like it, if you just now bought the album and have only listened to it a few times.

19. Dammnare

Dammnare Member

Hello to everyone this is my first thread on these forums i am a new member...

I didnt like wreath much because of its heavy intro at first;but after listening to it 2 or 3 times I liked it very much.It is a perfect song imo and gets better near the end.About the atmosphere of album I agree with the previous poster.The album has a very dark and eerie atmosphere and it chills me to the bone.I love the album artwork too.

20. Arasmas

Arasmas New Metal Member

welp i remember back in the day when i was a staunch defender of wreath and everyone was bashing it :ill: