This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Yo! Laser's Edge...can you get this?

Discussion in 'Laser's Edge' started by lasercd, Jan 18, 2012.

1. lasercd

lasercd Man Behind The Curtain

Yes of course we'll have it.

2. Neoman

Neoman Member

3. NVARAS

NVARAS Member

Awesome!. Thanks

4. Neoman

Neoman Member

Ken,
    Are you going to stock the 4 disc deluxe edition of the new Pineapple Thief or is it exclusive to K-Scope?
    Thanks.

5. lasercd

I don’t know yet.

6. Chris Lira

Chris Lira Member

New Kingcrow on the way- "Yes, Chris, there will be a 24-bit version available on Bandcamp". Good to hear it :)

lasercd likes this.
  7. lasercd

Your wish is my command

8. Joey Jojo

Joey Jojo Member

Man that sounds good. Kingcrow has been climbing my "favorite band" list steadily over the last few years.

9. Chris Lira

Chris Lira Member

So....new 180-gram Genesis vinyl reissues. I may have to finally break down and buy a turntable. They look to be non-US though(becausr turning your back on a market of 300 million + is good busness sense, I guess :erk:). Ken, do you know anything about these?

10. lasercd

Yes. They are fresh pressings of the Nick Davis remixes. Why anyone would want to buy these I have no idea. You can find near mint copies with the original mixes in any quality used record store for next to nothing.

You should own a turntable anyway.

11. Chris Lira

Chris Lira Member

I ask this with 100% sincerity and 0% sarcasm- why? It's like the whiskey ads where we have come full circle, from vinyl to tape to CD to digital hi res, and now back to vinyl. What would I get out of vinyl? Is it better now than in its heyday 40 years ago? I don't miss pops and skips, etc.

12. lasercd

Because it sounds better plain and simple.

If you don't hear it then its because you probably never heard what quality vinyl on a great turntable sounds like...or your system isn't advanced enough to discern the difference. That answer isn't meant to be snarky.

The annoying pops and clicks are still there. Buy new or well cared for used vinyl. Use a quality record cleaner. This eliminates some of the issues.

With a properly set up system the difference between digital and vinyl is obvious. I'm using state of the art equipment and while my digital sounds phenomenal the vinyl sounds even better. I could easily live with just my digital system but I've heard the alternative and there is no going back.

I have a number of regular customers that are transitioning back to vinyl.

One thing I will say - if all you listen to is metal then stick with digital. The production is so poor, and the compression so hard the difference between formats will be minimal. On the other hand if you listen to a wide range of music - jazz, classical, rock, etc where production and sound reproduction values are attended to properly the sonic difference is astounding.

(the pops and clicks will still be there)

I have other thoughts on the subject reserved for a future conversation.

13. Metman

Metman Buffalo Bills /Mets/Rangers Fan

I guess you told him !!!!

14. lasercd

Chris has been a customer forever. He knows I say what's on my mind - sometimes diplomatically. I'm sure he takes no offense by my response.

I eat, breathe, and sleep CDs every day but vinyl has been my passion since I'm 15 years old. The resurgence of interest in vinyl has been energizing. I love it when I get old customers all of a sudden start to order vinyl - or if we pick up a new young customer who is just discovering the magic that is locked in the grooves.

If you deny it you are missing out on something special. YMMV.

15. Metman

Metman Buffalo Bills /Mets/Rangers Fan

I meant no disrespect to you or Chris... I was just reacting to how you stated your answer to Chris..in detail. I dont have anything against Vinyle..Its that I have so much invested in cd's..Sorry guys...

16. Chris Lira

Chris Lira Member

I appreciate Ken for his directness and telling it like it is, and am glad to have his perspective. It gives me something to think about.

17. Mullmuzzler

Mullmuzzler Member

Yeah, vinyl is not for every genre. You could say the same for the 24bits/96khz stuff. However, the differences sometimes are noticeable. Most obvious I can think of are the HDTrack versions of Dream Theater's A Dramatic Turn of Events, and the self-titled album. Mangini's cymbal work is more noticeable in both HDTrack versions. But you can't fix the snare sound on those.

@Chris - You should also check out antique stores and the likes. I saw a couple of original Genesis pressings in top notch condition for like 3 bucks.

I'm sticking with vinyls mostly for instrumental music (God is an Astronaut, Stick Men, etc). I'll be the first to admit that the rock vinyls that I have bought are most for collecting and signing purposes when I try to meet the bands in concerts that I go to.

18. Mullmuzzler

Mullmuzzler Member

Forgot to ask Ken:

Is the Marillion-LIve at Royal Albert Hall Blu ray incoming? or are you just stocking the CD and DVD versions.

19. Neoman

Neoman Member

I understand Ken but I am not into Vinyl at all. Cd's for me!
    I do not like the pops and clicks and to be honest with you , my hearing is not what it was years ago!

20. lasercd

The label screwed up and it was delayed. Trying to get copies sooner somehow.