This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

You laugh, you lose

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by audiophileguy, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Tyrants and Slaves

I use race loosely.

2. Vimana

Vimana Member

I'm just bitter because I didn't get into Maryland because I had to compete with loads of people who got considered above me for writing something like "I overcame black stereotypes" on their college essays.

3. Dak

Dak mentat

Isn't playing the "race card" a black stereotype? :lol:

4. Oblivious Maximus

Oblivious Maximus I am the worm

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO3FPoSdotM&feature=related[/ame]

Is this how you get your lust jollies off?

5. Vimana

Vimana Member

Yeah, unfortunately. I hate it when people use it to cover up any wrong they did. In one of my classes in high school last year, this African American student was bullying a kid, and after a few weeks of it, I stepped in and said "dude, you're pathetic. You're probably gonna end up working at McDonald's." I said that because all he did was fuck around in class. Later on he told people I said "all black people work at McDonald's." Whatever, things eventually blew over and we played a peaceful game of Pokémon together.

On a similar note, in my high school, there was this one spot where the three most busy hallways in the school would converge, and there was a group of minorities who would stand in a crowd branching from the wall out into the middle. We called it the "oil spill." No one would tell them to move out of fear of being called racist.

6. SentinelSlain

SentinelSlain I hate tv references

7. cookiecutter

cookiecutter Proceed to Ultraslamming

When people say that the "idea of race" causes racism, I have to laugh. At best it's pointless observation, and at worst it's a way to justify majority privilege and racism.

Of course if we got rid of the social construct of race there would be no racism. If we got rid of the social construct of social class there would be no classism too! That would be great, why has no one tried that? Race has been socially constructed to matter in our society and however many smartasses say that we should just "get rid of the idea of race" it won't be gone. It's better to try to forge a diverse and tolerant society that celebrates the differences within it, than to try to artificially weld together different races, even if these races are not naturally different.

Trying to ignore or destroy the idea of race also prevents actions meant to aid people of disadvantaged races or to remove the privileges of the advantaged races. You can't expect a problem to go a way by removing its name.

If you don't believe in white privilege then you are an ignorant fool. Income is a big divider in this country (look at the recent occupy protests) but race is also a factor that plays into it.

8. Saparmurat_Niyazov

I think we were talking about how invoking past racist injustices can be used to fuel more racism (i.e. everything Louis Farakhan has ever said or done).

9. Vimana

Vimana Member

I think the idea of race can be gone, but it would take a long time of intermarriage before people start realizing that it's an outdated social construct that has no space in our minds in any other way than remembering how people thought in our time.

If I remember correctly, the idea of race was created by the Spanish, the British, and the Portuguese during a time when human rights were first being taken seriously in order to justify maltreating other humans.

The idea of race isn't nearly as vital to a functioning society as the idea of class. Therefore, society can survive it being taken out of the environment.

Edit: The word "race" also used to mean something closer to "species." The idea that Africans were of a different race (species) was what justified denying them human rights.

10. SWAT

SWAT Nothing but Metal!

Come on people this is supposed to be a funny thread.

Make a topic about race and post in there.

11. Saparmurat_Niyazov

From http://www.stuntlife.com/forums/74-open-forum/112988-white-racist-jokes-dont.html:

12. Pessimism

Pessimism Endemic Vagabond

Only a few of those were good. As a professional "white" person, every other ethnicity needs to learn that cracker isn't a real insult. On a scale of 1 - 10, where 10 would equate to my pals, cracker is probably -3.

13. The Heartbreak Kid

The Heartbreak Kid Afterimage

And that Coons take shit way too seriously.

14. King Richard

King Richard Against the wind...

/stupiddiscussionended

#4074 King Richard, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  15. Einherjar86

Einherjar86 Active Member

The trouble with diversity today is that it's often used as a kind of smoke screen to generate apparently significant discussion (about racial profiling, affirmative action, etc.) whilst obscuring matters of class inequality and economic issues.

I believe that "celebrating diversity" allows upper-middle class and wealthy people to ignore economic inequality while feeling positive that they're being racially tolerate/progressive.

Also, I agree with Zeph that historically there is a problem with "celebrating diversity," because nearly every single holiday or commemorative event designated for the recognition of marginalized races has been created in reaction to the progressive demand for reparation.

16. Blind Guardian

17. SentinelSlain

Fucking white bitches.

18. Onder

Onder Gegen unendlich

Now I don’t know about blacks as we don’t have those around, but gypsy women are obviously much sluttier than white women.

19. SentinelSlain

It seems to me that a huge number of people in the world would

20. Saparmurat_Niyazov

From the Nickleback shoutbox on last.fm: