This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

YT: Kemper Profiling Amp - Rectifier

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Ola Englund, Feb 7, 2012.

1. abt

abt BT

It looks like a 003 rack stuffed into a toaster.

Q: Loads of people complain about the AXE-FX being complicated to use, takes a long time to get a good sound, not good out of the box, how does this out of the box compare in terms of easy of use and sound? I've always had a beef with these reports on the AXE-FX out of the box, IMO if you pay that sort of money it should sound great straight away and only get better as you learn to tweak it. You shouldn't need to struggle to get there.

Oh and 19" please!

2. CubanDude

CubanDude not really cuban

i'm gonna get my hands on a kemper in a few days since a friend of mine just purchased one. gonna give you an insight of my impressions asap.

3. musickey

musickey djenital moosic

4. Djabthrash

Djabthrash Member

5. vaiman

vaiman Member

Easy as shit to use.
    I dont spend anyway near the amount of time tweaking as I do with other units.
    Plug in, turn on, play.
    Most of the presets are good, I just add gain,bass, treble etc by the front knobs and I'm done. Basically a couple of seconds tweaking if needed.

Add a stomp? Push and hold and stomp box button, turn the rotary to the effect, done. Tweak it using the same knob-age on the front.
    Want new profiles? Add them to your usb folder, stick it in the toaster, click import and done.
    Change cab/amp? Press hold button, turn knob ends, done.

The user profiles getting added on the site are amazing. Tills cabs are a good example.

6. abt

abt BT

Thanks for the insight. Rack mount and I'd be all over this. I've been gasing for an Axe-FX for years because I can't run real amps where I live. Never made the jump because there was always something about the sound that I just don't like. This looks very promising.

7. 88mph

88mph manbearpig

Hey guys, I was wondering; when you play more hard rock oriented music and hit lower strings to get a big chord sound (say, you're hitting a G) , does it do the trick? Cos when you do it on a real Marshall, you get a big open sound and can hear the vibration of strings seperately. But when you do it on a modeller (I know Kemper's not a modeller) you always get a flat and muffled sound.

We had a discussion with a friend after watching Kemper's Bogner profiling video about the high notes on the chords. It sounds they are not that detailed and open.

8. Toxic Grind Machine

Toxic Grind Machine black neon bob

So were are all the metal amp profiles?

There are a handfull of amps per week that get uploaded on the kemper website, but nothing that makes me want this thing now.
    Im about to pull the trigger on this beauty, but i have 2-3 profiles im interested in so far (Ola's rectumfrier offcourse, Ken Susi and mr Merrow's 5150's).. and there are not much new ones coming out.

9. loktide

loktide Member

that's the very same reason i returned mine and decided to wait and see what happens :)

Where did you get Ken Susi's profile, though? i saw his youtube clip and searched the kemper forum, but found nothing

10. Toxic Grind Machine

Toxic Grind Machine black neon bob

ah i see!

Well, the Susi profile is nowhere to be found, im really interested in it but as long as profiles like that are not uploaded, i think i need to stay away as well until it all gets released.. hopefully soon.

11. loktide

loktide Member

i think mr. sneap should release a commercial profile collection of his workhorse metal amps *ahem* :D

at least that would get me sold on getting one again

12. vaiman

vaiman Member

Yeah the Susi profile is a weird missing (and promised) one :(
    Personally, I have had no problem getting a good metal tone from what has been supplied.
    I even got an ok sound with an AC 30 and stomps (also few variations with Tills) just for fun.

Guess it depends what "metal" sounds like to each individual. I just like picking any old profile and dropping stuff in.

13. abt

abt BT

I actually find the website marketing of this a bit strange. You would think that this product is going to appeal most to people you can't afford lots of amps or are working where an amp is not possible. All they really talk about is if you have an amp and you get a really great sound profile it and you can dial it in anytime anywhere. Obviously this is a really valuable thing to do but if it was me I'd be promoting the community sharing of profiles more than anything else.

14. kass

kass Member

I really want a Kemper:p

I'm suprised that some of you say there is no difference. In every comparison I have heard, there is a consistant difference. The profile always has reduced high freqs. Even my damn girlfriend heard the difference when i was playing Ken Susi's clip. I didn't actually beleive she heard it because she can't hear shit...but she said "the kemper is like...less clear than the real one. Like...less treble.":tickled:

If someone makes a blind test, I'm confident I can pick out the kemper every time....and I don't have the ears of most people here...

I think that the Kemper should update the amp, and insert a match EQ function into the "refining" process. This seems like it would be fairly simple, and solve the majority of the problem.

Clark Kent, would you mind making taking the audio from Ola's recto comparison video and applying match EQ to the profiled part? Then we can see how close they would be if Kemper implemented match EQ into the refining process.

15. loktide

loktide Member

i also notice this difference with many of the AB comparisons

having owned a kemper for around 10 days, i can tell you based on my experience that you can get rid of this 'small' difference either by further refining, as well as by slightly tweaking the advanced amp parameters.

still, the profile sounding a little different in terms of EQing, doesn't make it worse, imo. it's still a 'raw' signal, and will be processed during mixing.

my main beef with the kemper was the ever so slight latency (apparently fixed with the newer firmware), as well as the 'feel' i had on most profiles under high gain. i'm very tempted to pick one up again once the firmware matures.

16. Ermz

Ermz ¯\(°_o)/¯

Would the 'refining' process effectively just be a form of EQ matching anyway?

17. kass

kass Member

Something like that....

But I have read about people getting non-EQ differences depending on exactly how/what they play while refining.

It just seems silly that the thing is not exactly representative of the amp in terms of EQ, given the fact that we can do that with plugins very easily.

18. Adrian Warren

Adrian Warren Member

You could send Kemper an email. They might not have thought about using match EQ to further refine the tone. Also I just stumbled upon this picture here of a black unit, maybe the rack version will show up soon as well.

[​IMG]

19. cyril_v

cyril_v ♪-♫-♪

They had the black one at namm already.

20. FearComplexMusic

Yeah the match eq process is really damn good. I was able to get Guitar Rig's 5150 model to pretty much nail the frequency response of my engl fireball. Probably closer than some of the Kemper A/B clips I've heard. It's feel, response, gain and pick attack was naturally way off the mark though. The Kemper seems to do an excellent job getting those crucial areas right so while a match eq implementation would be cool it's amazing as it is! Will hopefully be profiling next month. BTW there's definitely been a big increase in the returned amp stock on Thomann hah