10/25 Anthrax, Munich

johnnieCzech

Your favourite Czech
Feb 5, 2002
Prague
Well I have just woke up after an exhausting journey, sat down 2 a computer, started writing!

Well first off, let me tell you this was the third time I have seen Anthrax and this was probably their best show. They were so fucking tight, full of energy and sooo ass-kicking. But let's take it from the beginning, if you are interested.
Me and a few friends arrived to Munich about 4 hours before the show, so the first thing we could do was going straight to the nearest pub. Since we had stayed there longer than was estimated, our ticket reservations expired, so we had to work it out somehow. But fortunately we managed it and no problems occured. So we went to the venue to find it totally packed. And it wasn't any small. Shitloads of horny metal fans. We saw last two songs from an unknown support band. Nothing to write home about, they didn't suck though. Some kind of hardcore-metal. I don't know. After they had finished, we made our way straight to the mosh pit first row. So we could see an equipment - Rob's Marshall stack, two Frankie's Ampegs, Scott's Randalls and Charlie's Tama kit with floor toms on the both sides. Which kinda surprised me.
Unfortunately the beers I had drunk started to "call" in the worst time, so few seconds before the show I realized I had to take a piss so badly. I was just draining the main vein when I heard the "Blues Brothers" intro. Oh fuck. I quickly put my jeans on and grinded like a caterpillar to the first row. When I got there, "Among The Living" was just starting. Sound was very loud, harsh and killer, especially Scott's guitar, but I barely could John singing the first song. It got better afterwards, but Rob Caggiano could not be heard as well. Even in the solos. But the band was crazy onstage and people in the pit were crazy as well. I'm an old school mosher but sometimes I was nearly afraid of breaking my fuckin' neck.
The guys had several technical problems which I didn't understand but I suppose Scott will explain it in some tour diary. After "Caught In A Mosh" they left the stage, only John was there saying there are some problems, it might have been the monitors, I don't know. In "Room For One More" Scott suddenly stopped playing and left the stage as well, but returned in a while.
But never mind the problems, the band was really killer. Bush was screaming his ass off and totally ruled as a frontman, Charlie had his machine gun double basses and snare fills. What surprised me in a good way, the best crowd reaction was probably to "Inside Out", which I didn't really expect. And yeah, "Antisocial" as well. "Bring The Noise" was million times heavier than on the record, insane thrash core song. They played one verse of "I'm The Man" in the middle of it.
One more point: Frankie might have been playing his bass about 20 per cent of the show. The rest of it, he was just entertaining the audience, banging his hands in the air and stuff. I bet he sang more background vocals than notes he played on his bass. During "I'm The Man" he didn't even touch it. It didn't hurt the sound, though.
After Anthrax show, I was drained like a fuckin' lemon. The concert could have easily ended for me. I just stood motionlessly and watched Motorhead show. They were pretty good and they might have had the best drummer I have seen live (Mikkey fuckin' Dee) but I had my ass kicked so much I could barely move. But unlike Anthrax, Lemmy and co. showed some arrogant attitudes towards the audience. I know throwing plastic beer cups on stage is kinda strange (I haven't seen it in my country), but when one hit Scott, he just smiled. Motorhead quit the song in a middle, left the stage and threated not to come back.
And here's complete setlist. I am ready to answer your FAQ after :)

Intro (Blues Brothers)
Among The Living
Got The Time
Caught In A Mosh
Inside Out
Room For One More
Superhero
Antisocial
Indians
Bring The Noise/ I'm The Man
Only

It was a great Show and Anthrax really kicked Ass (more than Motörhead), but i gotta agree, that the mosh-pit really was fucking neckbreaking so I tried to stay in front of it.
Some things really went wrong with the guitars: Scott's guitar fucked up at "Caught in a Mosh" and "Room for one more" so he had to change it and Rob's guitar was pretty quiet.
And the Assholes who threw beer-cups at Motörhead! Who the hell is so stupid when he's drunk? That was totally unfair, i gotta say! But though there was much shit around ,it was a amazing!!!

why wasn't frankie playing his bass so much, do you think?? kind of strange to only play it for 20% or were you exaggerating??
thanks
m a x

Hmm, maybe little exaggerating. But he really didn't play much. He spent more time with his hands in the air I have to say :) but of course he kicked ass.
German crowd surprised me very much I have to say. I worry less about the new album sales in Europe.
Hey MotorMosh. Have you seen me among all those people? I was the one wearing Misfits T-shirt :lol: Well just kidding