California - my new home.

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
As you all know, I now live in the Central Coast region of California. Specifically the Pismo Beach area.

I'm not in an ideal condo/apartment/house right now, but I had to go with something that was month-to-month. I wasn't able to actually check places out before I got here. I expect to move again within a couple of months. That should give me time to check out the different areas.

The weather is unbelievable. 72 every day. 50 every night.

The people seem very nice so far. I am in a smaller, less populated area, so I've experienced no rude Californians.

I live near a college town (San Luis Obispo), and I'm going to go check out some of the music stores tomorrow . . . for guitars and CD's. I probably won't spend much, but it's fun to check things out.

I'm not really sure what culture shock is, but I don't think I've experienced it yet. I'm not exactly in the city. Maybe that is the difference.

So far I really like it.

Oh . . . and I don't listen to metal anymore. It's all funky beach music now. Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Sugar Ray, Dick Dale, etc.

npearce said:
I live near a college town (San Luis Obispo), and I'm going to go check out some of the music stores tomorrow . . . for guitars and CD's. I probably won't spend much, but it's fun to check things out.

Doesn't that mean lots of college chicks in bikinis...? Mmmmm....

Oh . . . and I don't listen to metal anymore. It's all funky beach music now. Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Sugar Ray, Dick Dale, etc.

But you can stay tr00 and kvlt and get some retro Beach Boys LPs. Remember they were satanists for a while, apparently.

npearce said:
The people seem very nice so far. I am in a smaller, less populated area, so I've experienced no rude Californians.
That's because they're further south. Once you're halfway through Ventura County it's like you're in a different world. HOORAY FOR ASSHOLES!!! :yell:

I was in SLO last weekend, found a cool music store but I forget the name. It was about 1/2 a block away from the SLO Brewery, good metal section too.

Cheap Thrills? That's where I went today. They had the best metal selection I've ever seen, but that's not saying much. They had Carpatian Forrest, almost all of Immortal's, Swans, Botch, Isis, 7 Angels 7 Plagues, and a lot more. I didn't buy anything, though. Maybe another day.

Remember the "Fucked Universe 1991" thread? Now imagine that your punishment is being restricted to listening to bands from California. How long before you would go completely homicidal, or would you be comfortable living in such a universe? :)

npearce said:
Cheap Thrills? That's where I went today. They had the best metal selection I've ever seen, but that's not saying much. They had.....Swans

I still need to get some Swans. Sorry npearce, but have you divulged further into the Swans catalog, and if so, have you determined a good place to start?

Yeah, Cheap Thrills. Picked up a $9 Pink Floyd CD there, but I did walk around the store with Vital Remains, Grip Inc., and Black Flag before remembering my CD purchase moratorium. :)

Good bands from California:
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Metallica
Slayer
Tool
Design Flaw (local)
Down Inside (local)
Uhhh... that's all I can think of right now.

JayKeeley said:
I still need to get some Swans. Sorry npearce, but have you divulged further into the Swans catalog, and if so, have you determined a good place to start?

Definitely start with 'The Great Annihilator'. It is their most varied, but most focused and emotional. I have a broad range of their releases. They are all good, but you will definitely enjoy 'The Great Annihilator'. I would consider it one of the best CD's I own.

NAD said:
Yeah, Cheap Thrills. Picked up a $9 Pink Floyd CD there, but I did walk around the store with Vital Remains, Grip Inc., and Black Flag before remembering my CD purchase moratorium. :)

Good bands from California:
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Metallica
Slayer
Tool
Design Flaw (local)
Down Inside (local)
Uhhh... that's all I can think of right now.

I also went to Boo Boo's. They had stuff from Fluerty, Nasum, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Satyricon, Mayhem, and on and on. It was more expensive than ordering on line, though.

Don't forget one of the best California bands ever:

NEUROSIS!!!!