Candlemass - King of the Grey Islands

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Candlemass - King Of The Grey Islands
Nuclear Blast Records - 2007
By Adam McAuley

1596.jpg

This is another solid platter for the doom veterans in the wake of the excellent s/t album. It features many of the trademark doom characteristics of the band's music, but now lacks the vocals of Messiah Marcolin who is replaced with Solitude Aeturnus'frontman Rob Lowe. His performance may not be as legendary as some of Messiah's, but he's a reasonably good replacement. Regardless, the music remains a rollicking take on the doom metal genre, except this platter seems to have more variety than their last.

King Of The Grey Islands cruises along as somewhat more like a journey rather than a collection of individually exciting songs. Crunchy riffs and rousing chorus' are very characteristic of this album and the band's music in general and they certainly make their presence felt. The slight lack of standout songs like At the Gallow's End from their Nightfall work makes this album slightly less stellar than some of their classic material. However, most of this is still relatively strong doom to the bone and worth repeated playings for certain.

Candlemass have always been known as one of the more exciting traditional doom outfits and this album carries on their legacy well. Solid musicianship and meaty riffs help keep you captivated and you'll drown in their mire of excellence. It may not be the best the band has produced, but King Of The Grey Islands is another great addition to their discography. The removal of Messiah is definately a slight disappointment however.

Official Candlemass Website
Official Nuclear Blast Website

I just listened to a sample of each song from their e-card and must say it sounds like it's going to far surpass their last s/t record. I was slightly dissapointed with the s/t release i must mention.
I'll have to hear the new disc in it's entirety of course before passing final judgement but i'm excited.

Awesome release...contender for record of the year as far as I'm concerned and I don't miss Messiah much here. I do wonder how Lowe will sound with the old material, though.

This is one of the best pure metal bands today, period!:worship:

To me is one of the best doom albums in years. Messiah may be gone but Robert is a more than worthy replacement. I agree is a contender for #1 album of the year. And 'Of Stars And Smoke' is probably the best song of the year.

NP: Candlemass - ' Demonia 6'

"King Of The Grey Islands cruises along as somewhat more like a journey rather than a collection of individually exciting songs."
Very true, the songs are most similar on this CD then the self-titled which had more textures and pace changes. I don't think the band lost anything by adding Rob Lowe, I think they got better. I still need to hear the follow to King of the Grey Islands.