Changing Tastes?

TCProgger

Dec 14, 2007
After a rough year that included months on end of bad hearing that kept me from music, I find my tastes have shifted and I've removed more from my collection as I decide what to do with it ultimately.

I've been slowly moving away from the more symphonic and power-oriented stuff, while my interest in music with a more hard/blues/stoner rock vibe has grown.

If anyone knows any good bands in this vein, I'd appreciate some suggestions.

(Some things I already listen to: Clutch, The Cult, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Tracer)

Funny, I've also had my tastes change over the last couple years but in the opposite direction. I mainly listened to power, prog, and symphonic metal but have recently gotten more and more into the heavier genres like progressive death and melodic death metal. A lot of the traditional power, prog, and symphonic metal bands just don't excite me anymore.

I'm finding, that as I get older, my tastes are expanding. It used to be just metal and a few of the well known prog bands. Now my tastes are all over the place. I've developed a taste for all instrumental bands, and not just guitar shredders.

Funny, I've also had my tastes change over the last couple years but in the opposite direction. I mainly listened to power, prog, and symphonic metal but have recently gotten more and more into the heavier genres like progressive death and melodic death metal. A lot of the traditional power, prog, and symphonic metal bands just don't excite me anymore.

I know what you mean. I found I just wasn't listening to certain bands much anymore, like Nightwish and Within Temptation and others that are more symphonic/power, while I've stayed with more straight up prog rock and metal acts. I delved into more technical/djent-y stuff for a time (discovering bands like Thank You Scientist, Periphery, and Protest the Hero), and then I began getting more a taste for the hard rock/desert rock/stoner rock sound.

My melodic death metal mainly consists of just Soilwork, In Flames, and Dark Tranquility. I've set them aside for now, but as I find myself feeling better I will probably re-integrate some of it. I've found my health can affect my tastes just as much as time and general change. The worse I feel, the less I want to listen to certain things.

I'm finding, that as I get older, my tastes are expanding. It used to be just metal and a few of the well known prog bands. Now my tastes are all over the place. I've developed a taste for all instrumental bands, and not just guitar shredders.

I've always wanted more instrumental stuff. You might have to give me some suggestions.

TCProgger wrote" I've always wanted more instrumental stuff. You might have to give me some suggestions."

Carpe Nota - (self titled debut) My highest recommendation. prog rock with a metal edge,

An Endless Sporadic - Magic Machine - my favorite all instrumental CD of 2016,

Last edited:
In case anyone else was interested, I have managed to find several resources in my hunt for more in the intertwining genres of hard rock/heavy rock/ heavy blues/psych/stoner rock/desert rock/doom/sludge/what-have-you.

There are You Tube channels (particularly Stoned Meadow of Doom and The Bong Druid of Mammoth Weed Mountain) that upload full albums. I've also found the label Ripple Music that specializes in underground artists of these genres.

In case anyone else was interested, I have managed to find several resources in my hunt for more in the intertwining genres of hard rock/heavy rock/ heavy blues/psych/stoner rock/desert rock/doom/sludge/what-have-you.

There are You Tube channels (particularly Stoned Meadow of Doom and The Bong Druid of Mammoth Weed Mountain) that upload full albums. I've also found the label Ripple Music that specializes in underground artists of these genres.

Try Rise Above Records. They have a lot of Stoner/Doom stuff. http://www.riseaboverecords.com. This site is always interesting too. http://www.allthatisheavy.com/Default.asp

-T

I've kind of going onto the post-rock ambient instrumental stuff like God is an Astronaut, Plini, Widek, Lights & Motion..with the occasional prog metal discovery.