Check it out, I performed at Giants Stadium!

urinalcakemix

man who plays drum
Jun 7, 2003
Wallingford, CT
Visit site
Yep, you heard right, yesterday 11/05/2005, I, with my HS marching band competed @ Giants Stadium, in front of about 7,000 people. It was awesome, we placed 19th overall out of 21 bands in our competing class. Though that doesn't sound like much, the fact that we got to play at GIANTS STADIUM was amazing. We played well, very well, and are one of the top 20 bands in the country, in our size class.

I march Quads (tenors) for my drumline, Its basically 4 toms strapped to a harness, and I do a lot of cool rhythmic stuff, and had a solo (which I NAILED!)

Anyways, heres a few pics for you guys to check out.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b349/urinalcakemix/Giants Stadium 2005/

Cool pics, brings back alot of old memories of when i played quads many many years ago. we had one of the largest HS bands in the country and an awesome horn sound and drumline. Oh for the good ole days.

Petethedrummer said:
my school's marching band was on maury povich AND hollywood squares, so EAT IT

I got this really weird mind-visual of an entire marching band attempting to crowd into one of those little Hollywood Squares booths, and collapsing it on top of Paul Lynde*. <crumple>

Kinda like that scene in Animal House where the band just keeps marching into the dead-end alleyway. :tickled:

BTW, congrats, Urinalcakemix. 19th out of 21 doesn't sound great, but you were actually 19th out of several hundreds or thousands of non-invitees. :D

=-=-=-=-=
* yeah, I'm old

21 bands just in your class....holy crap, that is one big ass competition.
My son marches and the bigger competitons here have maybe 40 bands overall (though smaller this year by some). They did five this year and got best in class twice, though there were never more than eight in his class (class 3-5 depending on competion)....(they have 92 members). What class does your school generally compete in?(or how many members as each competiton varies some in size classes).

Definately had to be a blast playing Giants Stadium. I used to be part of a drum and bugle corp (back in me princely days) and had a great time, lots of cool shows....no Giants Stadium show though,...very cool.

King Lek said:
My son marches and the bigger competitons here have maybe 40 bands overall (though smaller this year by some). They did five this year and got best in class twice, though there were never more than eight in his class (class 3-5 depending on competion)....(they have 92 members). What class does your school generally compete in?(or how many members as each competiton varies some in size classes).

Definately had to be a blast playing Giants Stadium. I used to be part of a drum and bugle corp (back in me princely days) and had a great time, lots of cool shows....no Giants Stadium show though,...very cool.

Me too. Did you compete in DCI? We used to play in Giants Stadium. It was cool, but personally I thought the astro-turf was too damn hot and hard in the summer. Murder on booted feet when carrying a xylophone. :D

urinalcakemix said:
Awesome. Were you guys any good? Or just one of those show bands that does all kinds of visuals but plays ridiculously easy material.

We were good enough, we were never a competition band though. Just played a bunch of football games and random exhibitions. Of course, the band is pretty terrible now and hasnt played anywhere noteworthy in probably 3ish years.

King Lek said:

21 Bands in our class, there were bands playing from Noon-1245AM, I'd say close to 50-60 bands total performed there that day. We compete in Class 4 Open, w/ 87 Marchers this season. We had 100 last year and competed in 5Open. I like playing in 4, though they score us a bit less, we don't get slaughtered by all these powerhouse top notch programs up in 5.

Im looking at a local DCA corp this year, and depending on how it goes next year or the year after I'll probably go for a DII corp, and in my last couple years of DCI Eligibility go for a DI (Cadets).

Im looking at a local DCA corp this year, and depending on how it goes next year or the year after I'll probably go for a DII corp, and in my last couple years of DCI Eligibility go for a DI (Cadets).
You mean the Garfield Cadets from Jersey? They probably don't even call them that anymore, but I remember when they broke all the rules in the earlie 80's and started major changes in DCI. They also brought the crowd to there feet at the '83 Orange Bowl. Those were the days. Damn, getting old. :Spin:

AMBR said:
Me too. Did you compete in DCI? We used to play in Giants Stadium. It was cool, but personally I thought the astro-turf was too damn hot and hard in the summer. Murder on booted feet when carrying a xylophone. :D

To be honest ...I have no clue if this was DCI or not.
The name of the outfit I was in was the Long Island Patriots.
They were kinda a 1-1/2 hit wonder.
We won nationals at Notre Dame in the first year and were invited to open the Macy's day parade that year.
The next year we placed second at Nationals.
The third year the parents got tired of our Napolean like leader and fired his ass.
The Corp dissolved later that year to the best of my recolection.
Stopped playing shortly thereafter.....when i look back i kinda regret that decision.
This was back in the mid 70's (now that is showing age...lol).

urinalcakemix said:
21 Bands in our class, there were bands playing from Noon-1245AM, I'd say close to 50-60 bands total performed there that day. We compete in Class 4 Open, w/ 87 Marchers this season. We had 100 last year and competed in 5Open. I like playing in 4, though they score us a bit less, we don't get slaughtered by all these powerhouse top notch programs up in 5.

Indeed some ass kicking class 5 bands.

We did one class 5 this year in Virginia Beach where they only had 2 real class 5 bands so they lumped us in with them....we won overall in class....how I have no idea, we were good but hard to compete on sound when you are 60-90 members less. Odd scoring in Va. though, Class 3 won grand chanpion, though I am a litle suspicious as it was the school 5 miles down the road and they scored 7 or so points higher than anyone else....hmmmm....lol.

No matter...it is a lot of fun just for all.
Maybe i should mention the Giants Stadium comp for next year...lol.

Ahh, drum-corps stuff. I played tenor drum in the (Monroe, CT) Rough Riders when they were first formed -- I was no more than fifteen, which should give you an idea of which decade this was. :D

No idea if they survived, as my parents moved down to Georgia about a year later.* I hope they did; the town was really taken with 'their own' drum-and-bugle corps.

--=-=-
* but I found them again......