Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper
Nuclear Blast - 2001
By Rodrigo

/images/covers/ChildrenofBodom.jpg

A band’s third album is probably one of the most important releases for any band. This is the release that can establish or break a band. Some magnificent third albums by various bands include Iron Maiden’s "Number of the Beast", Iced Earth’s "Burnt Offerings" and Blind Guardian’s"Tales from the Twilight World". These albums established that these bands were for "real" and not flukes. After two very strong releases the stage was set for Children of Bodom to prove that they could come out with an even better effort. Follow the Reaper manages to achieve this and fully establish Children of Bodom as one of the best bands in metal.

Everything about Follow the Reaper is an improvement over their previous albums. The songwriting, playing and production are all better and they sound even more mature. An excellent example of this is one of the best Children of Bodom songs, "Every time I Die". It is a slower paced song (not the usual tempo they play in) but it just as harsh and excellent as their faster material. This just shows how Alexi "WildChild" Laiho has evolved as a songwriter. But do not fear my friends, the majority of the music still features fast and razor sharp melodic guitars, excellent keyboard melodies and brutal singing as evidenced in the outstanding songs like "Follow the Reaper" and "Children of Decadence". The latter song starts off with music that reminds me of Stratovarius (at the simplest level think of Children of Bodom as Stratovarius music with death metal vocals) but it only lasts for a little bit. Right after the listener is hit with tight crushing riffing, excellent instrumental playing and a very catchy chorus. One of the other greatest aspects of Children of Bodom is their ability to do guitar and keyboard solo trade-offs like a progressive metal band like Symphony X and that is definitely the case with those two songs. Another excellent song is "Hate Me". This was released as a single before the release of Follow the Reaper. The intro keys reminded me immediately of the music of the famous shower scene from "Psycho". This song is excellent and it features some fabulous guitar solos.

However, all these positives might no have been achieved if it were not for the excellent work of producer Peter Tägtgren. Everything he touches turns to gold and Follow the Reaper is another example of the excellent work he does. Every instrument can be cleanly heard and the sound of Follow the Reaper is a lot "bigger" than in the last two Children of Bodom albums.

I do have just one minor complaint though. Why is it that with a Children of Bodom album not all the lyrics to the songs are put in the booklet? Hopefully whoever makes this decision will just finally decide to put all the lyrics on the booklet for future releases. Despite this minor complaint, to simply put it, Follow the Reaper is an invigorating and outstanding release making it their best album so far. Children of Bodom have passed the third album test and have placed themselves as one of the best bands in metal.

Children of Bodom have done it again. "Follow the Reaper" is one of the best albums realeased last year. I think the vocal structure was so much catchier this time around and combined with amazing guitar work it is a recipe made for a metal head.

i have to disagree this album is weak hatebreeder blows it away it has only a few good tracks look for it in the used cd bin then don,t buy it please

mr. trippel i would like to inform u that i will kick u in ur ear. becuz u must be def to say tha ftr is not as good as hatebreeder.i must diagree with ur ravish attitude. ftr is there best album along with hcd so suck on this :-- yes that..do not hold this against me for i am drunk like a ravid baboon.

Sincerely
Capn Stabbin

Follow the reaper kicks ultimate ass. Ive owned for years now and it sounds fresh every time I spin it. Chilldren of bodom rule and did one of the best live shows Ive evr seen in Shefield England last year! Rock On.

Cob Are Legends, See Anyone Who Is Going To Bloodstock In Sept!!

CHILDREN OF BODOM IS THE BEST FUCKING BAND IN THE GOD DAMN WORLD. DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT. NU-METAL IS SHIT. EVEYRYTHING ABOUT IT SUCKS. BODOM IS THE BEST BAND EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY FUCKING ARE THE SMARTEST MUSICIANS THAT HAVE COME ALONG IN A LONG ASS TIME. THEY FUCKING WRITE THE BEST SONGS EVER. ANYTHING THEY DO, GOD SHOULD WOSHIP. NU-METAL FUX AND EMO BITCHES SHOULD FUCKING DIE!!!!! THEY PUT MUSIC TO SHAME. I THOUGHT GOOD MUSIC WAS FUCKING DEAD WITH ALL THIS RAP/POP/PUNK/EMO/RAP ROCK LINKIN PARK SHIT. I WISH ALEXI "WILDCHILD" LAIHO, JANNE WARMAN, JASKA RAATIKAINEN, ALEXANDER KUOPPALA, HENKKA T. BLACKSMITH AND THE NEW GUITARIST ROBERT COULD SEE THIS POST. IF THEY DO I HOPE YOU NEVER DIE OFF OR MAKE SHITTY MUSIC, WHICH FOR BODOM IS IMPOSSIBLE! YOU FUCKING ROCK AND SHOW PEOPLE THAT GOOD MUSIC IS STILL OUT THERE, YOU JUST HAVE TO LOOK A LITTLE HARDER THAT SHITTY NU-METAL SHIT! :headbang:

Bodom Beach Terror said:
CHILDREN OF BODOM IS THE BEST FUCKING BAND IN THE GOD DAMN WORLD. DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT. NU-METAL IS SHIT. EVEYRYTHING ABOUT IT SUCKS. BODOM IS THE BEST BAND EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY FUCKING ARE THE SMARTEST MUSICIANS THAT HAVE COME ALONG IN A LONG ASS TIME. THEY FUCKING WRITE THE BEST SONGS EVER. ANYTHING THEY DO, GOD SHOULD WOSHIP. NU-METAL FUX AND EMO BITCHES SHOULD FUCKING DIE!!!!! THEY PUT MUSIC TO SHAME. I THOUGHT GOOD MUSIC WAS FUCKING DEAD WITH ALL THIS RAP/POP/PUNK/EMO/RAP ROCK LINKIN PARK SHIT. I WISH ALEXI "WILDCHILD" LAIHO, JANNE WARMAN, JASKA RAATIKAINEN, ALEXANDER KUOPPALA, HENKKA T. BLACKSMITH AND THE NEW GUITARIST ROBERT COULD SEE THIS POST. IF THEY DO I HOPE YOU NEVER DIE OFF OR MAKE SHITTY MUSIC, WHICH FOR BODOM IS IMPOSSIBLE! YOU FUCKING ROCK AND SHOW PEOPLE THAT GOOD MUSIC IS STILL OUT THERE, YOU JUST HAVE TO LOOK A LITTLE HARDER THAT SHITTY NU-METAL SHIT! :headbang:
You sir, are an idiot.

Not only have you bumped at 6 month old thread, but you've managed to write that whole paragraph in caps lock.

Good work newbcake.