Circus Maximus- "The First Chapter" Thread- sanctioned

I think I'll preorder this from cdinzane.......the samples sound nice!

On the album of the year topic.....I'm pretty confident that Arcturus and Solefald will tie for album of the year when their new ones get out......two other bands from Norway. ^_^

requiem99 said:
It's a damn good album, but anyone that is saying album of the year needs to hear Communic's debut and the new Pagan's Mind before they comment.
I need to spin each of these CDs a few more times before solidifying my opinion. However, I currently doubt any of them will crack my Top 10, especially the Communic. They're very polished, but also very derivative. While I wouldn't go so far as to call them a Nevermore clone, they're certainly pretty close.

As for early entries in the race for Top 10 of '05:

Primordial "The Gathering Wilderness"
Kamelot "The Black Halo"
Novermber's Doom "The Pale Haunt Departure"
Seemless "Seemless"
Dark Tranquillity "Character"

Zod

That Communic disc is pretty strong for the most part, but there are a few things that keep me from raving about it. Like you say it's a bit derivative, plus the songs kind of drag on a few minutes too long. They should whack a minute or two off of each, and add a couple more tunes next time out. Overall I do enjoy the disc though, and I have got past the Nevermorisms that were bothering me on the first few spins.

The Pagan's Mind is leaving me cold. I had a similar reaction to their debut, but absolutely loved Celestial Entrance. CE was new to me at the time, and I really dug it, but I don't find myself being near as interested with this new one.

I like the Circus Maximus quite a bit. I think it's quite good, although I'm reminded of DT, SX, and Ayreon quite a bit. They sure aren't breaking new ground, but I must say the songs are pretty catchy, and it's a strong debut disc.

Britt

Zod:

I am from a different era than you. I used to pick up albums (yes vinyl) just because it had a Roger Dean cover or the keyboardist played a Mellotron. I used to buy a record because it was on Brain, Charisma, or Virgin. I didn't have to hear the album - I rolled the dice. Naturally being able to preview a disc in advance is a bonus. You rarely see me ranting about downloading unless someone rubs my face in it.

Generally downloading is unfair to the record company only because theft is an issue. There will always be someone that will steal your music. If they are satisfied with an inferior sounding mp3 of an album then more power to them. That person is lost - I can't rehabilitate them. They don't respect intellectual property or copyrights.

When I first started to offer downloads of one song I did it in Real Audio format. This was so people could just preview the music. People complained that the quality wasn't good enough!! So I bit the bullet...offered hi-rez MP3 of one complete song. A representative song. If that's not enough well then it's out of my control.

People need to do what their conscience dictates. If you are the type that is comfortable stealing music with no remorse more power to you. If you are the type that uses downloading as a method of weeding out the good from the bad then I guess that makes you a smart consumer.

So...the answer is this: if downloading doesn't subtract from our overall sales then I am not opposed to it. If it helps spread the word about a band ie. Circus Maximus, and increases sales than I guess I support it.

It's a new world for doing commerce and the parameters are constantly changing.

Could I possibly be more ambiguous?

Ken Golden

One other thing I wanted to mention. As you know by now we had to bump the release date of Circus Maximus to June 7th at the request of Frontiers Records who had some scheduling problems. As compensation to our patient customers we will offer special pricing during the pre-order phase which will start the end of next week.

Ken Golden

adaher said:
I wonder if we'll be having this same issue with Stride, Avian, and Outworld leading up to Progpower.

Here are my thoughts about leaking:

I couldn't care less unless it is an unmastered or unmixed version; then I'd be upset because the listeners would make their judgments based on an unfinished product. Hell, I might even leak it myself at some point. Why should fans have to wait until the date a record company sets. I have no problem with people downloading our stuff; if you like it then maybe you'll buy it when it comes out. If not, maybe you'll come see us play when we're in you're area, maybe you'll even buy a shirt ;-). What we've done to "reward" those of you that will dish out your hard earned money is we've hired Mattias Noren to create a totally amazing booklet. When you see it, I think you'll agree.

Yan :headbang:

lasercd said:
One other thing I wanted to mention. As you know by now we had to bump the release date of Circus Maximus to June 7th at the request of Frontiers Records who had some scheduling problems. As compensation to our patient customers we will offer special pricing during the pre-order phase which will start the end of next week.

Ken Golden

Sweet...

Thanks, Ken!

Rock on!

lasercd said:
I am from a different era than you. I used to pick up albums (yes vinyl) just because it had a Roger Dean cover or the keyboardist played a Mellotron. I used to buy a record because it was on Brain, Charisma, or Virgin. I didn't have to hear the album - I rolled the dice.
We may not be from completely different eras. I'm 36, and spent my teenage years snapping up any Metal disc (actually, tape) that Circus or Hit Parader gave a decent review to. However, after getting burned more times than not, I started to ween myself off this strategy.

lasercd said:
Naturally being able to preview a disc in advance is a bonus. You rarely see me ranting about downloading unless someone rubs my face in it.
Understandable. And I certainly hope you don't think that was in any way my intent. I love a lot of the artists on your label, and buy directly from you. I'm merely curious to hear the perspective of someone in your unique position.

lasercd said:
Generally downloading is unfair to the record company only because theft is an issue.
Agreed. Just out of curiosity, do you think this happens to a lesser percent within this community?

lasercd said:
People need to do what their conscience dictates. If you are the type that is comfortable stealing music with no remorse more power to you. If you are the type that uses downloading as a method of weeding out the good from the bad then I guess that makes you a smart consumer.
I obviously view myself as the latter. As I said, I buy in the neighborhood of 100 CDs a year. I'm fairly certain that if everyone did that, record companies would be quite happy.

lasercd said:
So...the answer is this: if downloading doesn't subtract from our overall sales then I am not opposed to it. If it helps spread the word about a band ie. Circus Maximus, and increases sales than I guess I support it.
I'm hopefull that's what it does. I hope folks are smart enough to recognize, that if they don't support the artists and labels that offer us quality music, than we're only hurting ourselves in the long run.

Zod

This is one of those releases I'm going to buy day of preorder even if I don't have any money. I notice the release date is the same as the new Dream Theater now though... That means there's gonna be some hardcore competition between the two discs for the beloved spot in my cd player.

So, which versions have different bonus tracks again? Because I heard a clip of the European bonus track and it seems like a definite drop in quality from the rest of the album. What's the other version so I can get that bonus track? Is it the Japanese release?

adaher said:
So, which versions have different bonus tracks again? Because I heard a clip of the European bonus track and it seems like a definite drop in quality from the rest of the album. What's the other version so I can get that bonus track? Is it the Japanese release?
That was the Frontiers version you heard, I would say. The Sensory version will have a different bonus track.

So where did they get the name Circus Maximus? All I know is I have a plugin in Photoshop that has an effect called Circus Maximus, kind of trippy.

Bear

The bonus tracks were demos that were never meant for the official album. Thus, the difference in quality.

I know. But I figured since I know I don't like the one version, and there are two, I might as well get the other one. I know that bonus tracks tend to be hit or miss, but once in awhile they are really special. I love Sonata Arctica's "Mary Lou" from Ecliptica and Edguy's "Devil and the Savant" off Mandrake.

If it's the Sensory version that will have the other bonus track, that's cool. I can get it at my job for $10.

I downloaded this album and it abolsutely wails. I was going to wait to buy it (still am going to), but Alive has been stuck in my head since the first day I heard it. Although I would have to say that the two highlights of album are the two tracks available for approveable download "Sin" and "Alive", IMO.