Crappy song i did in 1 hour for contest, mix opinions are welcome!

Sep 20, 2009
Helsinki Finland
soundcloud.com
Hey!

It's time to get better day by day. Yesterday i took part in this "do a song in 1 hour" @ sevenstring.org, and i thought that i share the song i did here also.

I know i am not happy with my overall sound, and really would love critic and improvement notes. I just recently started to use metalmachine drums and am constantly changing my impulses with Axe FX II. Let's hear what you guys would improve! Cheers!

Guitar: Agile intrepid pro dual 8 string
DAW: Reaper
Bass: same as gtr
Drums: SD 2.0 / Metal Machine

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiukkaa paskaa. :D

The first thing that gets to me is that the cymbals are really dark and kind of muffled in the background, I'd use a high shelf on them. Also personally I like for the bass guitar to have some separation from the guitars, now it's almost indistinguishable. Maybe boost some low mids from the bass, or do a track send to some distortion plugin that you mix slightly in?

Haha, joo eläpä muuta viserrä...

I kept your scandinavian brotherhood advices on my mind and updated a remix below the first track of the actual song. I think it came out a little bit better!
Bass is total motherfff shit because it's my agile with "fake bass" preset, and that's not workinr really well, i have all those things you mentioned but i really need a bass bass :)

No jos nyt minäkin sitten :lol:

The second version is better, dig the song too! Only thing bothering me is the low end - or lack of.
"Bass" needs more body and meat (around 90-150hz possibly for one) to be more distinquishable. Maybe put it a few dBs louder too?
Look into Harley Benton basses @ Thomann if you're short budget-wise? They're actually quite usable even with the manufacturer's reputation haha.

If you're wanting to get the most out of ghetto-bass, I suggest compressing it to Lapland and back.
Then analyze it and cross reference it to an analyzed real bass from some bass-only track or multitracks - where ever you can find reference. Then EQ it in the same fashion.
Actually, match EQing bass works surprisingly well if you have an EQ with matching features! Just adjust the frequencies (mostly the ~100hz area) to fit with the key and tuning.
Then duplicate it and run it through some Sansamp-ish gear and level to taste. Maybe try to add some clanky duplicate as well - not sure if possible with guitar though.

Anyways, hyvää settiä! :kickass:

Yeah, the meatfactor definetly would improve with a decent bass! That's the main thing atm i think... Also i need to tweak my axe gtr preset more. :)
I'ts been so long time since i mixed my own stuff with bass, that i think the next step is gonna be acquiring one :D (ps. lifted the "BASS" a bit there, but not necessary even audible difference)