Did Gamma Ray peak with Land of the Free?

maestro_al

Who Dares Wins
Mar 26, 2002
Most Gamma Ray fans tend to consider "Land of the Free" as their magnum opus. Would you agree? Although their other albums are majestic efforts, can Gamma Ray reach the heights of LOTF again?

Also, No World Order, although FANTASTIC, seems a little too close to Judas Priest circa 'Painkiller' don't you think? Indeed, "Heart of the Unicorn" (particularly at first listen) sounds incredibly similar to the Priest song "Painkiller" itself. I totally understand that Gamma Ray regard Priest as a heavy influence, but isn't there a fine line between being influenced as opposed to becoming copycat?

Any discussion points are welcome! :)

I personally view 'No World Order' as my favorite so far. While it does have a huge "Priest" feel to it, quite frankly, any band that achieves the 'Painkiller' comparison is something special in my book! (Silent Force 'Infatuator anyone?) I was also a big fan of 'Powerplant'. I don't think they come off as a complete copycat though. They have that "Euro" feel to their music whereas Priest does not.

Gamma Ray's material is all quite high caliber I think. Even if they didn't progress as a band from here on out I'd still buy them simply because I enjoy the music they write! :)

they all start to sound alike. Just another speed metal song.

Initially I liked Gamma Ray starting with Land Of The Free. Then I purchased Somewhere Out In Space when it came out and Powerplant when it was released. After which, I became bored with their style of music since all their songs started to sound the same. After you have heard a few speed metal songs, they all start to sound alike.

But I decided to try some earlier Gamma Ray to see if it would be more interesting. So I purchased Heading For Tomorrow. That album was horrible in fidelity and songs. Not to mention the irritating vocals. Finally I purchased Blast From The Past and found I liked the first disc of new recordings of their best early material. The songs they re-recorded from Heading For Tomorrow don't sound anything like the originals (Thank God).

Anyway, I see no reason to proceed further with Gamma Ray. I'm bored with their style of music and the new album samples I have heard sound like the same old music.

I feel the same way with Blind Guardian, another overblown speed metal band.

Yet, maybe they can still win me over at PPUSA III if they capture the energy and performance of Angel Dust at PPUSA II

I can't see how any metal fan couldn't like Priest... hehe

The 'Painkiller' sound is something I always keep an ear out for when checking out new bands.

which is why I also think SILENT FORCE is amazing and can't wait to see themplay live in November. woo woo ! :D

which is also why I own all the Primal Fear cds...
which is how I got into Gamma Ray...
and on..
and on...