Disillusion

Prog_Please

Apr 25, 2008
San Francisco
I picked up their first album, "Back To Times Of Splendor," the other day and I can't stop listening to it. Not every day I run into an album that retains my attention like some of the more famous / notable bands (Dream Theater, Opeth, etc.) I checked their website and they claim to be working on a new release. Here's to hoping its not as bad as their 2nd release :kickass::kickass:

On another note, have these guys ever toured in the US or been considered for ProgPower or something? Some of those songs would be really cool to see live.

p.s. I tried to find an older thread to "resurrect" , but couldn't find any real Disillusion threads.

I picked up their first album, "Back To Times Of Splendor," the other day and I can't stop listening to it. Not every day I run into an album that retains my attention like some of the more famous / notable bands (Dream Theater, Opeth, etc.) I checked their website and they claim to be working on a new release. Here's to hoping its not as bad as their 2nd release.
Agreed. Without question one of the most overlooked discs in recent memory. I had a chance to interview these guys at Wacken in 2007. Very nice guys.

Have you heard a disc by Oceans Of Sadness titled The Arrogance of Ignorance? While I wouldn't go so far as to say it's as good Back To Times Of Splendor, there's some similarities in the songwriting. Definitely worth checking out.

On another note, have these guys ever toured in the US or been considered for ProgPower or something? Some of those songs would be really cool to see live.
Not to my knowledge. However, they would make for an awesome "wildcard" band.

Zod

I agree Back to Times of Splendor is a very good release and after hearing it, I just knew this was a band on the rise. Disillusion then took a quick slide to the bottom when they released Gloria.

I'll make the first (and possibly only) post about loving Gloria, in fact it was my #1 album of 06.

And I'll make the second. Gloria is definitely different, and I'm not gonna pretend like I didn't hate it at first, but its grown on me BIG TIME.

Apparently the third one is gonna have indie and punk influences, not exactly sure what to make of that but I'm excited! :kickass:

Apparently the third one is gonna have indie and punk influences, not exactly sure what to make of that but I'm excited! :kickass:

DO WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disillusion is a great band...Gloria was ok, but Back to Times of Splendor is one of the finest prog-death albums I've ever heard.

I just checked this band out this morning after reading this thread. Thank you guys for posting about them, what a great surprise!!!

I just checked this band out this morning after reading this thread. Thank you guys for posting about them, what a great surprise!!!

Cracker Jacks surprise, or better?

edit: Damnit. I really want a box of cracker jacks now...

How ironic...I am in the process of downloading my CD collection into ITunes (and what a task that is) and Disillusion "Back to Times of Splendor" was imported just last week. It had been a while since I had spun it and wouldn't you know...once was not enough. It's a definite instant classic in my opinion as it melds the perfect blend of progressive elements that I'm afraid Disillusion will find difficult to capture again. I never purchased their follow up CD but have heard some cuts and was stunned by their transformation from what I perceived to be a pretty decent underground buzz regarding their style. Oh well, not the first nor the last time I will be disappointed by a groups direction...but one thing they can't do is take away my affection for their debut!!!

if you want to witness their true masterpiece getting performed live as a whole, I just thought it could be of interest for you all that Disillusion will be playing BACK TO TIMES OF SPLENDOR live in its entirety (and a few other surprises according to them) on 29 May 2015 in Vienna, Austria at Viper Room. not to say that Gloria is bad, not at all - in fact it could easily rank within my top 15 list of all time. and it does. but BTTOS is the album that is yet to be beaten by any other on this planet.

for more information check by at
http://www.lastfm.de/event/4058089+DISILLUSION+-+serving+Back+To+Times+Of+Splendor+in+its+entirety
regularly. more info will be available in the next few days.

I picked up their first album, "Back To Times Of Splendor," the other day and I can't stop listening to it. Not every day I run into an album that retains my attention like some of the more famous / notable bands (Dream Theater, Opeth, etc.) I checked their website and they claim to be working on a new release. Here's to hoping its not as bad as their 2nd release :kickass::kickass:

p.s. I tried to find an older thread to "resurrect" , but couldn't find any real Disillusion threads.

I totally understand why people hate Gloria, but I always dug it. Back To Times of Splendor is a great album though.

9 year bump...

DISILLUSION Announce Back To Times Of Splendor 20th Anniversary Reissue; First Single Streaming

"...Germany's best kept progressive metal secret, Disillusion, will re-release their album, Back To Times Of Splendor, in a 20th Anniversary reissue edition via Metal Blade Records on April 26.

Remastered by Tony Lindgren at Fascination Street Studios, the album includes two bonus live tracks plus their 2002 EP, The Porter, which has never been released on vinyl before. The first single, "And The Mirror Cracked" (Remastered 20th Anniversary Edition) is available for streaming below....Pre-order here...

... Disillusion will celebrate this milestone in 2024 by touring internationally, where they will perform Back To Times Of Splendor in its entirety. The first shows in Germany, Switzerland and Austria are on sale now with many more concerts and festivals to be announced soon...."

disillbund224.jpeg

Reactions: NorseBlood
Disillusion's latest album Ayam was released in November 2022. I just picked it up during the last Bandcamp Friday, and while the album is ok, in my opinion their previous albums were better. Not to throw shade on them, such judgments are always subjective. They are obviously very talented and no doubt will put on a great performance in Atlanta in September.