Does anyone use the Sound Enhancer in iTunes?

Remy_5150

Aug 31, 2006
in the Preferences for iTunes, there's a Playback section, where you can turn on/off and change the crossfade between songs, etc... there's one option called Sound Enhancer, and you can choose how much "enhancement" you want (from Low to High)...

It seems to make the stereo wider, probably adds some harmonics and stuff, but I usually keep it off because I don't want it to change the sound of my albums...i.e. I don't think Andy mixes his albums assuming people will put the Sound Enhancer on top of his mix...you know what I mean?

I was just wondering if anyone else knew about the Sound Enhancer, if you keep it on when you listen to music in iTunes, if you have it on a lower or a higher setting...just curious

No, I never have it on. iTunes is what hosts most of my reference music, and if I were to listen to 'enhanced' tracks all day, then go to mix a track later on these same speakers, chances are it'll come out screwed, coz my ears would be miscalibrated. I try to keep the tracks as raw as possible.

I like the crossfade and soundcheck on however...
you cannot possibly get an accurate reference with Sound Check on. plus, it sounds like ass even though it's supposedly "transparent".. it's not really. play one of andy's recent mixes with sound check off.. then turn it on and listen again. that will cure you of liking sound check.