circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Eldritch – Portrait of the Abyss Within
Limb Music Products – May 24th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

eldritch.jpg

Eldritch are quickly forming an underground following, and it is rightfully so. Italian acts such as Novembre, Ephel Duath, and Lacuna Coil are penetrating the music scene with lush, musical offerings that are high in quality and low in drivel. This group is no different.

Portrait of the Abyss Within is a progressive metal effort, which piques my interest due to its masterful guitarwork, rhythmical musings, and solid vocals. “Forbidden” is a nice introduction to the band because it uses the above formulas to craft an infectious-yet-competent track. “The World Apart” begins, essentially, as a rock song but delves into emotion, which enables it to transcend the drone-like rock we’re used to hearing on commercial radio. Even though several songs are not terribly intriguing, the vocalist is able to pull us in by conveying feelings through his fine performance. By the time you’re hooked to the song, another fascinating nuance arises from within and steadies your attention. You have no choice but to listen.

Eldritch look to have a promising future, and I can say without hesitation that Portrait of the Abyss Within is definitely worth discovering. Although the band may not topple any of the major players within the genre, they’ve proven that they deserve a place in the niche of progressive metal. Let’s give them a warm welcome.

7.5/10

Official Eldritch website
Official Limb Music Products website

And people, do not forget to check out catchy-as-damn album 'El Niño'!
I haven't heard any other Eldritch album as yet, but check out that hot album. It's part metal, part prog, part pop. But not shite pop. Just that catchiness, probably makes this "pop", but I think it's a wrong term to use anyways...