Elvenking - The Scythe

Iced Dog

The Stormrider's Pooch
Sep 29, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
www.facebook.com
Wow, I've only listened to it twice, but I'm really impressed. I'm thinking this will surpass The Winter Wake, which I enjoyed a lot. It's a themed album about death, and seems to have a heavier/crunchier feeling than past albums, more growling as well. Damnagoras delivers great vocals once again, and there's some very catchy melodies, like the chorus of The Divided Heart.

What pisses me off is the domestic version via Candlelight Records isn't released till November, while Europe gets it mid-September...so lame. I'd love to see Elvenking tour here, but I'm not waiting an extra 2 months to pick this up, especially when the ltd digipak version will be available in a couple weeks [/rant]

I really wish threads like this wouldn't pop up until the fucking CD's have been released. Though in retrospect, I'm glad Elvenking is getting props.

Anyway, I'll be getting a copy from the band, myself, so I'm willing to wait to listen to it. BTW, Aydan mentioned the European Digi-pak is going to be a limited edition as well, so once thats gone, they'll switch to the 'normal' version as well.

Yes..ish. The new CD does not contain the amount of folk elements as Heathenreel or The Winter Wake. There are more harsh vocals from Damna on this CD. I assume there have to be SOME folky influences somewhere on the CD, but they will likely be few and far between. This album is a Death Concept album.

One of the cool things about this Forum are threads like this one.

I must say I haven't heard of Elvenking. But given the comments I've read I'm sure I'll be darkening Ken's door for their albums in the near future. I dig discovering new music.

So THANK YOU for posting your thoughts on Elvenking!

Bill

A very underrated band, a must for any fan of Skyclad. Been listening to them right after Heathenreel was released, great stuff. Looking forward to the new one.

On a side note, my version of Winter Wake states that Penny Dreadful is the bonus track, yet the track isn't actually on my cd. Anyone else have this problem? Very sad. =(

Great to hear! This is on my list of purchases to make at ProgPower.

As for the pre-release thing...I don't mind hearing about an album before it's out, but I really don't like to hear a burned copy or MP3 of an entire album before I buy it. A few songs or soundclips is cool, but not the whole album. Not for me.

On a side note, my version of Winter Wake states that Penny Dreadful is the bonus track, yet the track isn't actually on my cd. Anyone else have this problem? Very sad. =(

Penny Dreadful was supposed to be released as a bonus track to Heathenreel on the South American version.. but they had some kind of issue with it.

Here it is, from the EK forums:

Aydan said:
Penny dreadful was recroded to be a possible bonus track for some "Heathenreel" editions but the album didn't have any licensee (a South American one but without bouns).
So it remained in the closet for years since TWW (a curiosity: our A&R of the time Sandra wanted to have Penny in the album, Petalstorm was supposed to be the European bonus track).

and also from Damna:

Damnagoras said:
If I remember well, I think the mp3 of Penny Dreadful was released on Martin Walkyier's website in order to "promote" our past collaboration. Maybe that's why some people heard it long before the TWW release. Can't think of any other reason

So there you have it. I've actually had a copy of that cover for some time. It delivers.

Great to hear! This is on my list of purchases to make at ProgPower.

As for the pre-release thing...I don't mind hearing about an album before it's out, but I really don't like to hear a burned copy or MP3 of an entire album before I buy it. A few songs or soundclips is cool, but not the whole album. Not for me.

You can go to www.Elvenking.net to see the video for "The Divided Heart" and also links to "The Scythe" and other songs from the album.

Penny Dreadful was supposed to be released as a bonus track to Heathenreel on the South American version.. but they had some kind of issue with it.

Here it is, from the EK forums:

and also from Damna:

So there you have it. I've actually had a copy of that cover for some time. It delivers.

That still doesn't answer my question since it had to do with TWW and not Heathenreel. =p

I misread it.. your copy actually says it HAS the track on it? Can you scan it?

edit: nevermind, I actually see on my copy too where it's listed as a bonus along with the studio "making of" clip. Odd how CD_EX recognises penny dreadful as a track on it but refuses to rip it... I'll look a little more into it and see if I can get an answer.

Oh, I see. Penny Dreadful was released on the European version of The Winter Wake. Candlelight USA, it seems, may have decided to cut it from the US release, but apparently only edited the back cover to say European Bonus. However, if thats what the deal is, I have no idea why my copy includes the making of video, since it's also listed under the same catagory. Probably more licencing issues, or maybe I'm completely wrong, and it's just bad programming on the CD.

haha, I never noticed that detail...interesting. Yeah, CD_EX recognizes it as a "data track" as opposed to an audio track. As for the song, I never cared for Penny Dreadful...Petalstorm is by far superior IMO