Final Track of an Album

The last track of an album should start with a huge explosion and then the sound of the album turning to rubble. Something like Info Dump by Strapping young Lad. :)

I have to agree with some points here... Generally Opeth have a good taste for album 'closers' (closures? ;) ) but BTPISIO was an awful choice which really puts a scratch on the diamond called Deliverance... White Cluster is also not a good choice of a closer although it's a pretty good song overall... And I do agree that Weakness is a great closer-mystique and heart-wrenching. Such a mellow album needs such a mellow ending

Detric said:
Camel - Lady Fantasy. Best closer ever, in my opinion.
I am actually listening to that right now. It is indeed one of the most fantastic closers to an album. Heart of the Sunrise is also wonderful.
The best end of an Opeth album is the final words on TBYF.

With the 1st two albums, my favourite song is the opener and with MAYH it's the first proper track (April Ethereal). And every album after that it's neither the first or last track which is my favourite.
It's important for the album to have a good start and end, but it doesn't have to be the strongest material, just a song that is suitable for catching your attention and one for leaving you with only good memories.

I can't pick a bad song from Opeth, whether it's at the beginning or end of and album. Doesnt make any difference to me.
If i make a mixed Opeth CD, I can put whatever songs on it and it is completely satisfying; i dont miss the other songs. Then i can make another one with different songs, and it's the same way. Every Opeth song is completely satisfying. It just depends on mood and whether you're "getting" a particular song at the moment you're listening to it.
Just my 2 cents...

opeth_353 said:
With the 1st two albums, my favourite song is the opener and with MAYH it's the first proper track (April Ethereal). And every album after that it's neither the first or last track which is my favourite.
It's important for the album to have a good start and end, but it doesn't have to be the strongest material, just a song that is suitable for catching your attention and one for leaving you with only good memories.
Well put.

i agree man. its so mellow, yet evil. especially the lyrics, i mean:

weaker now, drawing fluid from me,
you kill me

plus the amazing production with that echoing voice mikael has... it sends a tingle down my spine everytime i hear it. damnation would be worse off without it closing the record.

the last track: vital. leaves you with an empty feeling when the closer lacks something.