Haven't been this excited for an instrumental in ages....

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
I pre-ordered this album from Jason Richardson a while back when he had one of those indiegogo/kickstarter deals. He's played with a few bands that didn't come close to doing him justice "musician" wise (in my opinion).

The first video/single has been released, and I'm having a hard time describing it that does it justice. I haven't been this excited about an instrumental since hearing Tony Macalpine's "Maximum Security" (if this song is any indication).

I haven't seen fingers move this fast (and clean) since Michael Romeo. What I love about this though, is it isn't a wank fest. He knows how to let the tune breath, and his playing breath. The style is a great mix of various metal genres rolled into one, which for me, creates something pretty damn special and different than what others out there are doing. I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks of this one:

(I'm not completely familiar with the drummer but he has some pretty tasty playing as well.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mardoch and MelbCro
Here's some more detail from the "more info" of the video:
"This is the 'OMNI' playthrough, the first glimpse of Jason Richardson's highly anticipated upcoming solo album, which will be released July 29, 2016. Pre-orders will also be available soon. Follow Jason & I's social medias to stay updated.
Instagram:
@jasonreevesrichardson
@lukehollandd
Twitter:
@jasonGRIN
@LukeHolland"

That's about all I can find about this.....pretty bad ass! I can only really take only so much of the djent-y style. But these guys can definitely play...

Reactions: MetalAges
That was pretty sick. I'll be looking into his stuff more for certain.

EDIT: Just saw this in the comments
John Browne said:
God damn, bout time I threw all my guitars away, those fast runs my god.
Even the wicked axeman from Monuments is blown away, lol.

Last edited:
I'm not completely familiar with the drummer but he has some pretty tasty playing as well.

Yeah. Luke Holland was the drummer for The Word Alive. He has a VERY active YouTube channel where he posts a TON of drum covers. In 2013 he came in third for 'Drummer of the Year' in Alternative Press Magazine. In 2014, Modern Drummer gave him second place in their 'Up & Coming' category. Both are pretty prestigious honors for a drummer with so little actual recorded output. He's got monster chops for sure.

By the way, if you dig this, you might want to check out Paul Wardingham's stuff if you haven't already. Very similar musical vibe to this material. Crazy good shred stuff while keeping a strong melodic sensibility.