How do you get it so loud??

Demonstealer

Jun 30, 2003
India
demonicresurrection.8m.com
I really need to know how to get your mixes obnoxiously loud without clipping/distorting or sounding over compressed.

I know a lot of engineers hate the whole loudness war that has taken over music but seriously how do you get it so loud?

Sometime give me an idea where do you even begin etc.

In a nutshell, have a great well balanced mix and then use eq, compression, saturation, soft clipping, and limiting to get the level up.

search for a thread called "getting your loudness" everything you need to know is in there.

Dude.

In my opinion, -9 RMS dBFS is far more than required.
I try and hit -10 for really ripping metal songs.

But - I know ; "the metal market wants loud records etc etc etc"
Seriously though..

Can't listen to that file as I'm on a mac, but if you've got RMS of -9 you should be plenty loud. Chances are it's the eq balance thats losing the battle for you. A mix that is well balanced across the frequency spectrum will sound much louder than one that is bass heavy for example.

Can't listen to that file as I'm on a mac, but if you've got RMS of -9 you should be plenty loud. Chances are it's the eq balance thats losing the battle for you. A mix that is well balanced across the frequency spectrum will sound much louder than one that is bass heavy for example.

on that note, the less bass in the mix, the greater potential for loudness

low end eats up headroom like a motherfucker!