DeepestPurple

Jul 9, 2004
Currently I'm big into these bands:

Circus Maximus
Seventh Wonder
Pagan's Mind
Ark
Symphony X

Recommend me some more heavy bands who play their asses off and have awesome singers. Bonus points if Ken carries it so I don't have to hunt around :D (I already know the obvious power metal bands like Kamelot, Blind Guardian, etc.)

:kickass::headbang:
Currently I'm big into these bands:

Circus Maximus
Seventh Wonder
Pagan's Mind
Ark
Symphony X

Recommend me some more heavy bands who play their asses off and have awesome singers. Bonus points if Ken carries it so I don't have to hunt around :D (I already know the obvious power metal bands like Kamelot, Blind Guardian, etc.)

Hard to start... Go on Progressive Archieve Site They break it down to all kinds of catagourys.... ( Neo-Prog) rocks too:D:wave:

These are some of the best, in my opinion :

1. Anthriel
2. Adamantra
3. Thought Chamber
4. Edgend
5. Darkology
6. Myrath

Riverside
Mekong Delta
Hammers of Misfortune
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Dark Suns
Empyrios

If growling at times is fine with you then Opeth and Orphaned Land

What's a good Redemption album to start with?

In 2007, I translated my reviews from French to English. I hope there are not too much mistakes...

Redemption - Redemption (2003)

Je trouve cet album beaucoup moins bon que le suivant. Il faut dire que "The Fullness Of Time" est tellement bon que ce début de Redemption est plutôt ordinaire quand on le compare au second. Ce projet de Nicolas Van Dyk regroupe des membres de plusieurs groupes dont le chanteur de Fates Warning, Ray Alder. Mais sur cet album, il est seulement chanteur invité sur deux chansons. Il est le chanteur principal à partir du deuxième album. Ici, le chanteur principal Rick Mythiasin (Taraxacum / ex-Steel Prophet) est plutôt froid et à l'image de la musique guère émotionnelle et peu mélodique. La comparaison la plus proche au niveau du style de la musique de cet album serait les débuts de Fates Warning avec John Arch. Mais ça sonne légèrement plus moderne. De plus, au niveau du style du chant, le timbre de voix de Rick Mythiasin est assez près de John Arch.

I find this album much less good than the next. “The Fullness Of Time” is so good that this beginning of Redemption is rather ordinary when we compares it to the second. This project of Nicolas Van Dyk gathers members of several groups including the singer of Fates Warning, Ray Alder. But on this album, he is only an invited singer on two songs. He is the main singer starting from the second album. Here, the main singer Rick Mythiasin (Taraxacum/ex-Steel Prophet) is rather cold and at the image of the music hardly emotional and not very melodic. The nearest comparison on the level of the style of the music of this album would be the beginnings of Fates Warning with John Arch. But that sounds slightly more modern. Moreover, on the level of the style of the voice, the timbre of voice of Rick Mythiasin is quite close to John Arch.

Redemption - The Fullness Of Time (2005)

J'adore! Ray Alder (Fates Warning) est maintenant le chanteur principal. Cet album est rempli d'émotion et me touche. Beaucoup plus mélodique et chaleureux que le premier album. Le personnage qui est plutôt désespéré et brisé retrouve tous ses morceaux dans la finale (IV. Transcendence) de la chanson du même titre de l'album. La musique et la voix nous transmettent si bien l'émotion qu'on s'élève avec lui quand il réalise qu'il est maintenant une meilleure personne en ayant connu et surmonté la peine. Alors que je trouve que le premier album a plutôt un style (au niveau de la musique et de la voix) ressemblant à la période de Fates Warning avec John Arch, Ici le style de la musique se rapproche plus de la période de Fates Warning avec Ray Alder. Mais c'est un peu plus power metal (tout en étant progressif). Au niveau du style de la voix vous comprendrez que c'est identique! Si vous aimez cette période de Fates Warning avec Ray Alder, "The Fullness Of Time" est un incontournable. Je dois ajouter que c'est un album marquant pour moi et que je le qualifie de classique essentiel.

I adore! Ray Alder (Fates Warning) is now the main singer. This album is filled with emotion and touches me. Much more melodic and warm that the first album. The character who is rather desperate and broken finds all his pieces in the final (IV. Transcendence) of the song of the same title of the album. The music and the voice transmit so well the emotion to us that we rises with him when he realizes that he is now a better person for having known and overcome the pain. Whereas I find that the first album rather has a style (on the level of the music and voice) resembling the period of Fates Warning with John Arch, here the style of the music approaches more the period of Fates Warning with Ray Alder. But it is a little more power metal (while being progressive). On the level of the style of the voice you will understand that it is identical! If you like this period of Fates Warning with Ray Alder, “The Fullness Of Time” is a must have. I must add that it is an outstanding album for me and I qualify it an essential classic.

Redemption - The Origins Of Ruin (2007)

Depuis l'album "The Fullness Of Time", Redemption est devenu un groupe de référence. Tous les fans de métal progressif de la planète devraient posséder l'album "The Fullness Of Time". Maintenant que vous le possédez, je peux comparer "The Origins Of Ruin" à l'album précédent. Au niveau du style de la musique et de la voix, c'est semblable. Au niveau des paroles, elles me touchent aussi mais un peu moins dans l'ensemble que l'album précédent. Bien que certains passages me touchent autant. Avant de connaître l'album "The Fullness Of Time", j'apportais une certaine importance aux paroles mais je ne pensais pas qu'elles pouvaient faire une différence aussi énorme. Les paroles de l'album "The Fullness Of Time" apportent une nouvelle dimension à la musique. C'est également le cas avec l'album "The Origins Of Ruin". À cela s'ajoutent de la musique progressive dynamique extraordinaire et une voix pleine d'émotion. Tous ces ingrédients font en sorte que "The Origins Of Ruin" est aussi un classique essentiel. Vous devez maintenant posséder celui-ci en plus du précédent!

Since the album “The Fullness Of Time”, Redemption became a band of reference. All the progressive metal fans on the planet should have the album “The Fullness Of Time”. Now that you have it, I can compare “The Origins Of Ruin” with the previous album. On the level of the style of the music and voice, it is similar. On the level of the lyrics, they touch me also but a little less in general than the previous album. Although some passages touch me as much. Before knowing the album “The Fullness Of Time”, I brought a certain importance to the lyrics but I did not think that they could make such an enormous difference. The lyrics of the album “The Fullness Of Time” bring a new dimension to the music. It is also the case with the album “The Origins Of Ruin”. To that are added extraordinary dynamic progressive music and a voice full with emotion. All these ingredients create conditions such that “The Origins Of Ruin” is also an essential classic. You must now have this one in addition to the previous!

What's a good Redemption album to start with?

Skip the first one (it's fine, but it's a different singer and different vibe...I think even Nick, the band's "leader" would admit as much), and start with "Snowfall on Judgement Day". I think that's their best, then just work backward.

As for others that I think you should check out (some of these have been mentioned...I'll also include my favorite release from each):

Dali's Dilemna - s/t
Vanden Plas - Christ 0
Damn the Machine - s/t
Shadow Gallery - Tyranny
Atmosfear - Inside the Atmosphere
Arena - Immortal?
Threshold - Extinct Instinct
Balance of Power - Ten More Tales of Grand Illusion
Narnia - The Great Fall
Nation Beyond - The Aftermath Odyssey
Time Machine - Eternity Ends
Treasure Land