Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
In Flames - The Tokyo Showdown
Nuclear Blast - 2001
By Rodrigo

/images/covers/InFlames.jpg

The prospect of an In Flames live album was very exciting. During their last tour, I was able to see them twice and both times they played a very exciting and aggressive show. The Clayman songs sounded even better live and the crowd response was extremely wild. I thought to myself prior to this release that if In Flames were be able to capture the magic and intensity of their live shows into a live album, then it could definitely become a memorable release. The Tokyo Showdown is that album but unfortunately it simply fails to deliver the goods.

To sum it up easily this album doesn’t sound like a "Showdown" at all instead it sounds more like a live studio recording by In Flames with the minimal crowd noises that are heard sounding as if they were sampled into the recording. The mix lacks the powerful punch that albums like Live After Death, Alive in Athens and Tokyo Tales clearly have. The bass drum is heard too loudly in some songs especially on "Bullet Ride" and "Embody the Invisible". The vocals by Anders sound too hushed and it’s hard to understand what exactly he is singing. The guitars are about the only thing that sound decently but they just sound too weak for my taste. Finally, where is the crowd? The album barely acknowledges the presence of the Tokyo fans and what you do hear are just quick yells that sound like they are in another room and it also appears like they are cut off. Anders himself barely says anything to the crowd. Its not until the beginning of the fifth song "Moonshield" that he talks to the crowd.

It really is very sad that this is the final mix for the album because In Flames play their songs flawlessly and adding a live touch here and there (like the part in "Scorn" where they play the opening part of Slayer’s "Reign in Blood’). The songs they have chosen are also great and basically what I expected. However, I still say that only one song from The Jester Race is borderline criminal. Songs like "Artifacts of the Black Rain" and "Lord Hypnos" should have been included, especially since the album has a total running time of an hour. Besides that complaint regarding the set list, In Flames does play some of my favorite tunes by them like "Episode 666", "Behind Space", "Jotun", and "Ordinary Story".

To the casual fan this is probably an album you might pass on. Your money will be better spent on obtaining the back catalogue of In Flames. For the more devoted fan this is probably a must buy but beware, I have heard better sounding bootlegs than The Tokyo Showdown. Buy at your own risk.

I like "Colony" and i love "Clayman" but this live album has been one of my biggest musical dissapointments ever- i´ve never been into live shit all too much though..

however- interesting review.. -Mart..