Interesting...If you like Warlord & BOC....

Oct 17, 2006
I listened to the CD Martiria 'The Age Of The Return' while commuting to work. I was reminded of Warlord instantly & throughout the CD I found many similarities to BOC as well (Mostly Agents Of Fortune - Imaginos era. Not their earlier/ heavier work). I made it a point to share this info with the forum but before I did - I did a bit of research. Here's what I found out...

Formed in Italy - 1987
Discography : As of September 2006 - Working on new album.
The Age Of The Return (2005)
The Eternal Soul (2004)

Line up :
Rick Martin Anderson - vocals (ex-Warlord (US))
Andy Menario Menarini - guitars
Derek Maniscalco - bass
Maurizio Capitini - drums
Andy Menarini also played in the epic metal / folk / medieval band Italian DUNWICH

So - If you like Warlord or the laid back BOC sound check this band out... Free MP3 (samples only approx. 1:15) - Martiria - The Official Website

Looks like yet another Christian metal CD has found it's way to my collection... Is somebody trying to tell me something?

Further research reveals... Source : "Christian Hard Music" (Excerpts from TAOTR review)
The albums lyrics – which were written by poet Marco Capelli – are based entirely on biblical subject matters and characters and cover topics ranging from the second coming (“The Age Of The Return”), Judas’ betrayal of Jesus (“Regrets”), the crucifixion of Christ (“The Cross”) John the Baptist (“A Cry In The Desert”), and David and Goliath (“The Giant And The Shepherd”). While by no means a Christian band, Martiria includes one Christian member in Rick Anderson who is very open and forthright about his faith in Christ. As a matter of fact, I cannot help but think that Anderson must have played a significant role in the albums lyrical direction.

In terms of the packaging, it is worth pointing out the album poignant cover artwork depicting St. Michael Kills The Devil by Raffaello Sanzio. (I am surprised this has not been done before in the Christian metal genre.) The CD, at the same time, comes in a digi-pack with a professionally done booklet.

All in all, “The Age Of The Return” is a solid effort from front to back that, with repeated listening, will prove a very valuable addition to your collection - Entire review at:Martiria: "The Age Of The Return" review - www.ezboard.com

Andy Menarini also played in the epic metal / folk / medieval band Italian DUNWICH

Dunwich kick ass! If you're lucky and can get their albums, it took me years to gather them all. The band suffered a major change with the departure of Kattya Sanna (vocals) but now they're finishing their fourth album with a new vocalist and I'm like crazy to get it

Dunwich homepage

Dunwich kick ass! If you're lucky and can get their albums, it took me years to gather them all. The band suffered a major change with the departure of Kattya Sanna (vocals) but now they're finishing their fourth album with a new vocalist and I'm like crazy to get it

Dunwich homepage

THANKS - I've heard of the often but never actually heard. I Will be checking them out. Appreciate the info.

Well, it sounds like it was recorded in the 80s on a throttled budget, but the music itself sounds pretty good. Very Warlord-ish! Sure seems slow tempo by today's standards but if those albums had been released in 1985, us Warlord fans would have been all over it.

Mmm sounds like something I HAVE to hear.

The Christian theme wouldn't bother me, and by the way Lordian Guard (Tsamis' project after Warlord split-up) lyrics were purely Christian ;)

Well, it sounds like it was recorded in the 80s on a throttled budget, but the music itself sounds pretty good. Very Warlord-ish! Sure seems slow tempo by today's standards but if those albums had been released in 1985, us Warlord fans would have been all over it.

The CD has a distinctive likable quality that seems to demand repeated listening. Since you are an album person I think you would thoroughly enjoy this one. Especially if you like Warlord & some of the more laid back BOC stuff. Though this CD didn't live up to my original expectation and satisfy my quench for speed - power, it is very listenable and enjoyable even for me in it's entirety.
PMR

The CD has a distinctive likable quality that seems to demand repeated listening. Since you are an album person I think you would thoroughly enjoy this one. Especially if you like Warlord & some of the more laid back BOC stuff. Though this CD didn't live up to my original expectation and satisfy my quench for speed - power, it is very listenable and enjoyable even for me in it's entirety.
I'll need more than just a few one minutes samples to know for sure, but maybe we can take care of that next Slsk meeting. I was hoping to meet up with you this week, but I got another rush job in and it's screwed up my schedule until after xmas. And as for power and speed, I'm sure this band didn't come anywhere close for you! Nice to know it's good enough that you like it anyway.