iPad mixers...

A buddy uses one a few times a week doing foh for small venues. We use x32 + iPad for Iem mixes. Behringer kills it. I think they have an x18 iPad like the mackie now too

A buddy uses one a few times a week doing foh for small venues. We use x32 + iPad for Iem mixes. Behringer kills it. I think they have an x18 iPad like the mackie now too

Yeah I've heard good things about the X32. I just don't need it that big but maybe this one:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/X18.aspx

X18_Front.jpg

X32 compact still too big? I used one today for the first time. Handles like a very solid unit if aesthetically not as pleasing as more expensive units. The SI Expressions have a good rep as well.

My drummer has this mackie at home. We used it for quiet home practice sessions with v-drums. Works nice - you can "handshake" any apple device with it and then adjust individual mixes and apply effects.

Used a x32 + ipad, and a mackie dl1608. The DL falls short of the x32 in many ways (the biggest one - you can't trim the gain of each channel from the ipad app), but it's significantly cheaper. Overall you just can't mix as fast as on a dedicated surface, but feature-wise you get all the bells and whistles that will allow you to get a great foh or monitor mix. No idea if that was helpful :}

Not really an iPad mixer but I controlled a PreSonus StudioLive using an iPad a couple of times. It's not always as fast/intuitive as you'd need it to be.

We tour with an X32 and it's pretty righteous for the price. Seeing LOTS of bands out there with them now.

I use a DL1608 when I run live sound. My PA is portable or certain clubs I will patch it in. Super compact and nice since you have tons of flexibility and all the fx you would need for just about any live mix (Compressor, gate, eq, graphic eq on outs, etc.). And for the price it is a steal.

However, it is much slower to move around on the interface compared to properly labeled racks and an analog console. So like monitor mixes and such do take a little bit longer. Or quickly dropping mic levels for feedback can take that extra precious 1-5 seconds to find. Mackie added mute groups, and views which help.

No bussing which is a suck, and no digital gain, so you have to set that at the board and use like a grease pen if you soundcheck a headliner and re-patch for openers. But the scenes help with other parts of that.

In practice, walking around the crowd isn't as nice as it sounds. Yeah it is cool to check the mix in different positions and make changes right there. Plus people oooh and aaah. But I find I still prefer having a home base mix position and I work from there most of the time. Plus the band expects you to be there when looking for you for changes to their monitor mix.

Not to mention moshers and roaming through a dense crowd with your relatively fragile iPad. It is just as easy to walk around and make small changes back at the board. Oh and my iPad 2 can easily run a 12 hour festival on a single charge which is nice.

I think Mackie's interface is the most intuitive and use friendly. Behringer's is a bit darker and more complicated and requires more nimble fingers. You can download them and play with them in offline mode before you buy BTW. But that being said, I am in line to get an X32 rack once they are in stock. My plan is to eliminate the snake so I an setup a mix position wirelessly. I also have wireless lights. Just need power for the board and charging.

For me really I make the compromise of quick action and paging through screens for the portability and not having to bring and hook up a rack of FX. And price, can't beat it.

I've done 7 gigs so far with my DL1608.
Love the amoun of features for the price and the fact I dont have to carry racks of outboard or use a multicore anymore.

Great if a someone in a band has an iphone too so you can give them control over their own monitor mix.

Shame it cant do multitrack recording and the fact Mackie want silly money for the lightning covertion kit.

The X32 + iPad app is supposed to be awesome. James Ivey from Pro Tools Expert loves his.

A soundguy my band sees every time we play at this venue in Philly uses this setup. Actually I think he may have upgraded his mixer, but it is fucking awesome! This same guy actually did sound for Death during the Human tour.....pretty fricken cool!

Not a live mixer but I've used V-Control mixer to control Pro Tools. I can tell you there's absolutely no way I'd contemplate using a touch screen live, especially one this small. They're just so clunky and unintuitive. I want to be able to reach for a fader with just a quick glance and do the rest by feel.

Just realized that the Behringer X18 has usb out for recording live stuff. Really tempting actually, as I've recorded live shows a bunch and it's great fun. I don't do enough live sound to justify buying a "real" board, but a compact one like that would be cool for a lot of things. Besides, when I do run FOH, it's often with broke bands that play weird, noisy music at small venues, and occasionally at those you get boards that are both shit and unintuitive, and besides there are no insert cables and half of the compressors don't work because of the 68th beer that got spilled on them. And then you're supposed to be really fast with the soundcheck.

Yeah, I guess it would be cool to have a familiar setup that you can bring along easily. I'll have to try one when they're out.